Assembling front suspension with engine out

Evening all, another question. 

I am trying to finish building the front suspension and fit the shock absorber and bump stops but with the spring compressed with bolt up throght the front turret (see first photo) but I can not fit the shock absorber etc. I have tried the conventional type spring compressors (as shown in second picture) but there is not enough room between spring /lower and upper wishbone. Has anybody managed this with the engine out? If so please could you let me know how as this is very frustrating. 

Many thanks for any help

Regards

Adrian

IMG_20210104_173406.jpg

IMG_20210104_174302.jpg

Never use the 2nd type of spring compressors on our  TR’s

How about loading up the chassis in lieu of engine weight then jack up under pan with the shock bottom fitted and just guide in the top mount. ?

Shock should go in with no problem, stretch it to full length and feed up through the spring. The bump stop......wait till, the car is finished would be my advice. Under no circumstances should you use external compressors, I did once and am lucky to still be here.....40 years ago and it feels like yesterday,  when it flew past my head and disappeared down the cul de sac. Never to be repeated.

Iain

7 minutes ago, iain said:

Shock should go in with no problem, stretch it to full length and feed up through the spring. The bump stop......wait till, the car is finished would be my advice. Under no circumstances should you use external compressors, I did once and am lucky to still be here.....40 years ago and it feels like yesterday,  when it flew past my head and disappeared down the cul de sac. Never to be repeated.

Iain

ditto

When I built my chassis up last Christmas I could not get the shocker in either. Had to wait until the engine was in before I could get the shocker in and lined up with the top hole. My shockers were fairly fat at the bottom and fouling the spring pan, different shocks might have fitted more easily.

Ralph.

I couldn't get the shock in my TR2 without compressing the suspension. As the bump stop isn't in place the spring is fully elongated and the angle doesn't allow the shock in.

I ended up compressing the spring just enough (an inch or so from memory) and then used multiple tie down straps around the spring pan and chassis to hold it compressed while I removed the spring compressor and fitted the shock.

Here is a photo as I did it with just a couple of straps in place. The compressor is still in as I used a total of 4 straps to hold it compressed. As you can see I didn't need to compress the suspension much to get the shock in.

I sat on the other side of the chassis to release the compressor and left it overnight to ensure it held before installing the shock.

Alternatively, wait for the engine to go in or just fit the engine temporarily.

21 May 2017 front suspension going together.JPG

Edited by John McCormack