Snorkel Breather Identification

Hi all - I started the above enquiry in the General Technical Forum and Bob (Lebro ) responded that the curved one was the same as the one on his TR3 engine, hence I thought it might be better to follow this up in this Forum.

I wasn't aware early cars were different so does anyone know when the changeover point to the straight snorkel took place? Was it on the introduction of the TR4?

I presume the early snorkel mounting bracket fits under a sump bolt whereas the later one fits on the rear fuel pump mounting stud.

Any further info would be much appreciated

Cheers Rich

Neither of them could bolt onto the fuel pump, it is way to high up. they must both bolt onto the sump, perhaps the later one goes on top of the casting flange on an extra long bolt ?

Bob.

1 hour ago, rcreweread said:

so does anyone know when the changeover point to the straight snorkel took place? Was it on the introduction of the TR4?

My '59 post-60000 3A has the curved snorkel, so that is possible. 

This is the more straight one on my TR2 longdoor

bild.thumb.png.f6292def699174b8bc86c61d8f428b49.png

Hi Inge,

I think your link brake pipe between the cylinders on the rear of the front brake backplate should be routed between the trunion and the brake backplate.  That may protect it better on the road.

Peter W

PS No doubt Stuart will be along with a photo soon.

2 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Hi Inge,

I think your link brake pipe between the cylinders on the rear of the front brake backplate should be routed between the trunion and the brake backplate.  That may protect it better on the road.

Peter W

Thanks for the tip, I'll put in the "to do list". The TR2 is for the moment in dormancy waiting for spring, but I keep myself occupied in the garage with a new project, a kit car based on Lotus Elise that will more look like a Lotus 2 Eleven. I got my hands on two Toyota engines one 190 bhp and another supercharged 240 bhp, so couldn't resist a present to myself on my 70th birthday recently :)

17 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Hi Inge,

Peter W

Unfortunately I dont have a stock photo of those pipes, there is this one of an original chassis with running gear that had been sat for a lot of years though. Note the Vanguard Sportsman rocker cover, a popular mod back then as it fits directly over the standard rocker cover without the need to remove it.

Stuart.

selected pictures56.jpg

This query has set my mind running and I wonder if the change of vent pipe happened with this Service Information Bulletin of 1954.

Pre eng no TS972E - see attached 2 page pdf.

The bent pipe looks shorter than the more common straight one.

If it is that type you will need to do the extension modification as advised for the purists.

Cheers

Peter W

Snorkel.pdf

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT