the Tr4 isn't sitting level

Hi Chums

the R/H drive TR4 is a bit high on the driver's side, and is due to be tested , measurement taken at w/ arches through the center of hubcaps ----Front /R.675mm,,,, Front /L 645--diff=30mm

rear/R 708mm,,,,rear /L 690 diff = 18 mm, what the opinions on that?,,, I would prefer to leave it as is , when I'm in the car would prob' be level or at least better, thanks for any tips, all the Best for the New Year Barry

Hi Chums

Just jacked the back up and rechecked the front, this time wheel arches  were 15mm diff' ( before30mm) also checked at the lower bump stops to ground , that was about 10 mm diff, also while I was there the wheel arches gap/ clearance was only about 30mm that doesn't seem a lot --Barry

Are Aussie testers so, er,  thorough that they will even look at that Barry?  These are not cars built to modern standards and with a body sat on a separate chassis some variation is to be expected.  Sounds to me that you are just measuring differences in where the suspension comes to rest after having been disturbed, which will probably be slightly different each time you do it.  

Did the TR4 have the small additional spring plate spacer fitted to accommodate the weight of a single person...ie driver like on the sidescreen cars ?

Mick Richards

Hi Chums

Thanks for the comments, I'm in Perth Western Australia , it a strange place regards to vehicle testing, they are done when they are new then not tested again ( ever) unless they are de-licenced  or get a yellow sticker from the police if they think it's bit dodgy, years ago I took a motorbike in , it had a spot of oil on the drain plug and they said the sumps  leaking , I said no it isn't I just changed the oil and wiped the spot off , on another time another bike the tester had a torch and was trying to find play in the gear-lever   splines, I said is that all you can find and tightened it up, but in the country ( outback) a friend of mine went for a m/bike driving test at the local police station, the tester said how did you get here, he said on my bike, the officer said well you have passed then, still concerned about the TR4 wheel arch / tyre gap though ----Barry

For some reason (?the  bloke with the torch?) you've reminded me of one of my RAAF mates who brought a Canberra bomber back to Oz for a major service.

The customs man at Darwin went over it with a fine tooth comb and after finding nothing asked my mate ' how do I get the seat out?' (?? to look underneath??)

The answer he got was "see that handle there, you pull that!!"

I started looking to resolve a ride height imbalance on my TR3 a couple of years ago. A friend warned me that ride height wasn’t everything and lent me a set of corner weight scales. 
It transpired that the corner weights were better balanced than I ever expected and any change to the ride heights put it out of kilter so it went back together as it had been.

The ride heights remain as they were an no one apart from me has ever noticed the discrepancies. 

Edited by Drewmotty
1 hour ago, Drewmotty said:

It transpired that the corner weights were better balanced than I ever expected and any change to the ride heights put it out of kilter

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Mind you with our cars with separate chassis, you can do a lot with body-to-chassis gaps without ever touching the suspension & corner weights.

John