Here is a photo of my original 3A dashboard.

As can be seen, lots of extra holes from teh past.

I'll weld these all up, and start again (Other than teh original rheostat and O/D holes)

Where do other folk mount extra switches and warning lamps?

John.1503745002_3adashholes2.jpg.cadec881b03361f9917a9e5a3e61ba20.jpg

John

After the rheostat and O/D switch, I suspect you will get as many suggestions for locations of any additional switches you may have/need as their are contributors.

Personally, I have a dash mounted horn in this location as I have a MotoLita steering wheel. I did have a dash-mounted indicator switch in this location too, but replaced that with a modified arm on the L/H side of the steering column which is a huge improvement.

On the dash either side of the bottom of the central gauge panel I have matching Lucas switches for the electric fan (R) and windscreen washer (L). A PO has drilled the holes previously - I just provided matching switch gear. 

I have also installed an 'O/D On' lamp between the Speedo and Rev counter using a green lamp cover / LED as used in the central panel on later 3As (I think) so looks reasonably period.

Miles

Usually right there John, so decide before welding them up if your going to fit anything else.

Stuart.

I have tried to go factory original in appearance for a clean look, after all much of the appeal of these cars is the style.

Part of my restoration theory is that Triumph made enough holes in the car originally so I should not need any more. The only concession to that is windscreen washers and so tucked the windscreen washer pump/button under the dash. In response to Miles's comments concerning the cooling fan I have the sensor in the down pipe on both my cars and no override switch (similar to production cars of the 1990's ) and never had a problem in 30K miles.

I have abandoned the reversing light and it's switch in my current rebuild as I have the much brighter LEDs in the rear lights and I do not reverse in the pitch dark any more. (and my TR4a gearbox had a switch in the top).   John

My dash is standard (now) but I have a hazard switch, & fan override switch, both hidden under the dash, mounted through existing holes in the dash / heater support rails. I have used minature type switches.  No extra warning lights.

Bob.

2 hours ago, Lebro said:

My dash is standard (now) but I have a hazard switch, & fan override switch, both hidden under the dash, mounted through existing holes in the dash / heater support rails. I have used minature type switches.  No extra warning lights.

Bob.

That's where my extra switches were as well.  Those rails are extremely useful and out of the way visually and physically while still being easily reachable.  I like a clean dash.

Hi John

This might help. When VHP529 was taken from the production line by comps it was a very standard car......no extras at all.

The Competitions Department then rebuilt it to the spec it is now. So this is how they laid out the dash board switches. Please excuse the annotations but I’m sure you get the drift. My overdrive switch was always a pull switch.  (I have changed for a momentary switch for the time being, coupled to a logic box.) 

Iain

729A8E31-635C-4E18-B037-5168CA7F452F.jpeg

Thanks for the replies guys.

I like Iain's set up, but I'll still need to weld up first, as the current 'Holes' are all over the place,

and they need to be in line.

I was thinking the hole drilled in my dashboard, next to the original O/DSwitch, was likey to be for some kind of replacement O/D

switch, maybe  on a stalk or somesuch?

John.