Ceramic Coating Tubular Exhaust Manifold

Hi Colin,

I went for the Camcoat back in 2006/7 and had a silvery/Stainless colour.  The manifold is still in good condition.  I am happy with it.

I'm not sure of the 'reducing under bonnet temp' claims are that true but I've not been bothered with high temps there.

Don;t know about the Zircotec.

If you go for the Camcoat do get the full process for internal and external surfaces.

Roger

Colin, I had zircotec coat my tubular (TR4) manifold. I took it to them at Abingdon and they did a great job. This was August 2011 and the finish is still in great, almost like new condition. I wouldn’t hesitate to use them again.

I've used Zircotec in the past on exhaust manifolds and turbo housings where it makes a bit of a difference but not as much as claimed in my experience. Looks nice as it stops rust but the cost has increased to silly levels now to the point I wouldn't bother unless you are planning on competitive racing I'd save your money and invest the saving in something more worthwhile like petrol and use the car more!

Maybe worthwhile considering isolation/insulating gaskets on inlet side to keep the charge temps lower these defiantly work and cost relatively little if you can get them for your application.

Andy

I gave mine out for "flame spraying", don't know the correct english word,

the surface is still loveley white, cost was about 100 Euro,

there must be something like this at the UK

lMaXYYJarKnu-fyiJtJElLwzA-yFGm-9AebTz1uZ

Edited by Z320
1 hour ago, Z320 said:

I gave mine out for "flame spraying", don't know the correct english word,

the surface is still loveley white, cost was about 100 Euro,

there must be something like this at the UK

lMaXYYJarKnu-fyiJtJElLwzA-yFGm-9AebTz1uZ

I flame sprayed aluminium onto my TR2 exhaust manifold as an apprentice in 1971.   I have just handed that manifold onto someone who thought it was new old stock. 

I burnished the aluminium coating of my manifold with a wire brush, which is what we did to all the combustion chamber cases of the jet engines we processed with that aluminium flame spray coating. 

process https://www.bodycote.com/services/surface-technology/flame-spraying/

Peter W

53 minutes ago, colin3511 said:

Thanks Z320. I googled it and there appears to be a company offering this process only 8km away! I’ll let you know the outcome.

Colin

A friend of mine was not pleased because in the process there is something with acid and neutralisation.

And on his exhaust manifold something went wrong, best you ask your supplier about.

Had mine done by Zircotec in 2012 when I had my engine rebuilt.  Took it to Abingdon. Cost around £400 then.

it does make a difference to under bonnet temps but not sure I'd pay the going rate now.

steve

2012-05-16 08.45.36.jpg