Congratulations, Sir Lewis.

2 hours ago, MilesA said:

And a lot LESS deserving folk than Lewis included in the 30 odd pages of award recipients. Until the system is overhauled or abolished, I would maintain that Lewis is no less deserving that those with other sporting achievements who have been knighted. Doubt if anyone will change their views on this one though...

Miles

+1

At least they didn’t wait until he was on deaths door to award him something, most do have to wait far too long and can’t bask in their glory.

6 hours ago, Dave McDonald said:

Do you mean like Jimmy Greaves Suzanne?

Or John Surtees, who never got his Knighthood?

Dave McD

Thats correct and there are many more celebrities who have only been recognised and given an award once it is known that they don’t have much longer to live.

There has certainly been plenty of “ gong “ inflation over the years. My nearest neighbour is Tony Nash our first ever Winter Olympics Gold medalist with Robin Dixon. Both awarded the MBE.  

Surely you have to accept that Lewis has amazing talent, which was recognised from childhood not for the cart his father provided. We can’t dispute that or his contributions to his sport, with his determination to do better and his attitude for improvement of standards.

I am more than happy for Lewis to be recognised for his achievements year in year out. Whether Selfish, arrogant and egocentric is the case or a requisite I don’t know, possibly, it seems though he is a humanitarian. 

Time will tell if the Knighthood was the appropriate recognition as is the case of those gone before him, with some found wanting. If it was not,  it can always be taking away.

"Time will tell if the Knighthood was the appropriate recognition as is the case of those gone before him, with some found wanting. If it was not,  it can always be taking away."

Yeah like it was with Philip Green !...Oh wait..

Mick Richards

I believe that the amount of overseas investment motorsport in the UK receives headed up by F1 deserves some sort of recognition. If that results in Lewis receiving a knighthood as recognition for his talent and by association the talent of his team so much the better. Motorsports have not been an individual effort for many decades, if it ever was.

Yes Lewis as a UK taxpayer and resident would give more credibility for his calls for equality, but his knighthood demonstrates that the UK is a country where talent can flourish.

Alan

On 1/2/2021 at 9:57 AM, iain said:

There has certainly been plenty of “ gong “ inflation over the years. My nearest neighbour is Tony Nash our first ever Winter Olympics Gold medalist with Robin Dixon. Both awarded the MBE.  

I was 11 years old back in 1964 but I still recall the excitement of that day when Nash and Dixon rode their sled to a Gold  medal.  Some time afterwards I was  actually allowed to sit in it and I recall just how basic it was inside.  I think the sled was on show at the Crystal Palace  along with  the working models of Stingray and Lady Penelope's  6 wheeled Rolls Royce from Thunderbirds.   An unforgettable day  out  and to ride the Cresta run is still on my bucket list! 

Hoges.