Congratulations, Sir Lewis.

I like that. Well done Lewis. 

as we lose sir Stirling we gain sir Lewis 

he is young too. I thrust he will do good with it 

H

-1 from me, He's a bit too "gangsta" for my likeing, sure he's a fair driver but so are all the other F1's, without his very good car he wouldn't be where he is now, also he should pay his taxes to the UK. Cheers, Bill.

Edited by billy l

What bothers me with these knighthoods for the likes of Lewis Hamilton, Andy Murray and others is that at the time of the award they are/were both in mid career and achieving great things within their respective sports. Surely at this point their professional rewards and respect from their peers are what matters to them the most. They may go on to achieve even greater things in later life within or outside of their sports and that is the time to award the knighthood, IMHO!

Happy New Year,

Tim

32 minutes ago, billy l said:

-1 from me, He's a bit too "gangster" for my likeing, sure he's a fair driver but so are all the other F1's, without his very good car he wouldn't be where he is now, also he should pay his taxes to the UK. Cheers, Bill.

He doesn’t spend enough time in the uk to be taxed here significantly.

besides he is in the fortunate position to create his own charitable foundation so he can properly direct his money where it will do most good in line with his priorities. He is a great supporter of many charities here in the uk and abroad. Great Ormand Street UNICEF are just a couple.

the rest of us have to just hand it over to the government to fritter away. 

It’s a nice thing.

51 minutes ago, billy l said:

...without his very good car he wouldn't be where he is now...

I’ve read that comment in lots of places over the past few years and I don’t really understand the logic in it.

Lets say that his car IS the most competitive car in the business.

Surely then the owners of that car would choose the best driver to sit in it.

If all the other drivers have the same ability, why would they specifically pick Hamilton?

It must mean that THEY think he is the best driver for their car, not any of the other drivers.

Charlie.

Edited by Charlie D
27 minutes ago, Hamish said:

He doesn’t spend enough time in the uk to be taxed here significantly.

David Richards, chairman of Motorsport UK, said "Hamilton is subject to withholding tax at source [being taxed at source] in nine countries around the world and files tax returns in four of the nine countries" and added that HM Revenue and Customs' 2019 figures put him "within the top 5,000 highest UK income tax payers".

6 minutes ago, acaie said:

David Richards, chairman of Motorsport UK, said "Hamilton is subject to withholding tax at source [being taxed at source] in nine countries around the world and files tax returns in four of the nine countries" and added that HM Revenue and Customs' 2019 figures put him "within the top 5,000 highest UK income tax payers".

Hence my use of “significantly” 
he pays tax all over the world  

I hope by being Sir Lewis he can do more good.

Different worlds, different opportunities, different achievements, but both are equally deserving in my view.

Stirling became over many decades a much loved national icon. Lewis may yet achieve the same status. But Lewis's actions are subject to minute media scrutiny. In recent years he has displayed greater maturity in my view. When speaking about the black lives matter issue this year he has been calm and reasoned. It is nevertheless a high risk place to be and the media can be ruthless...

Miles

3 hours ago, Tim T said:

What bothers me with these knighthoods for the likes of Lewis Hamilton, Andy Murray and others is that at the time of the award they are/were both in mid career and achieving great things within their respective sports. Surely at this point their professional rewards and respect from their peers are what matters to them the most. They may go on to achieve even greater things in later life within or outside of their sports and that is the time to award the knighthood, IMHO!

Happy New Year,

Tim

I agree, I see Lewis has recently lost a legal battle to prevent a Swiss -based watchmaker which has been trading under the brand  Hamilton since 1892 from trademarking the name. Is that ego or not ?

Rex

Happy New Year chaps, lets hope the next one is better 

For goodness sake, the bloke's won 7 World Championships and more F1 races than anyone else ever. Celebrate him for his sporting achievements, best car or not. He is brilliant at what he does regularly beating his team mates in similar machinery. Well done to him, I say. Absolutely deserved, you'll not convince me any differently.

Dave McD (nailing his colours to the mast)

14 minutes ago, Dave McDonald said:

For goodness sake, the bloke's won 7 World Championships and more F1 races than anyone else ever. Celebrate him for his sporting achievements, best car or not. He is brilliant at what he does regularly beating his team mates in similar machinery. Well done to him, I say. Absolutely deserved, you'll not convince me any differently.

+1

37 minutes ago, Dave McDonald said:

+1   I shall nail my colours to Dave's mast

Roger

I agree with Dave and Roger, he is outstanding, exceptional etc, etc ............, but he is not finished yet, so knighthood after 7 World championships what does he get when he wins 12 or whatever?
My point relates to the point at which the honour is awarded. Nothing to do with Hamilton or Murray or whoever but the knee jerk award.

Tim

"what does he get when he wins 12 or whatever? "

Will never happen, if Mercedes can hang onto him for another 2 seasons it will be a marvel. Having pinned up another 2 championship years Lewis will find the lure of Red cars and the riches promised too much too ignore.

Mick Richards

Sorry but there are plenty more deserving people for the title "Sir" like engineers, scientists and medical researchers etc who sadly receive little recognition for their efforts who contribute more to humanity than any sportsmen or women ever do while receiving indecent amounts of money and avoiding their dues and playing politics.

Reality check needed just another example of playing to the social media masses IMO.

Hard hat on! 

Andy

No.... well said Andy.

Yes he’s a very fast and skilled driver, no doubting that.... But, a knight of the realm? - Not in my book, talk to anyone who knows and works closely with him... "Selfish, arrogant and egocentric " (albeit all core requirements to work your way up to the top coming from where he did)..... Not getting into the tax evasion discussion but...... only one key reason for choosing to reside in Monaco... and no, it’s not the sun shine 

Much, much more deserving folk out there 

Happy New Year to all

12 hours ago, Tony_C said:

No.... well said Andy.

Yes he’s a very fast and skilled driver, no doubting that.... But, a knight of the realm? - Not in my book, talk to anyone who knows and works closely with him... "Selfish, arrogant and egocentric " (albeit all core requirements to work your way up to the top coming from where he did)..... Not getting into the tax evasion discussion but...... only one key reason for choosing to reside in Monaco... and no, it’s not the sun shine 

Much, much more deserving folk out there 

Happy New Year to all

I agree with Andy ( PodOne ) and Tony C

Lots more deserving folk out there than Lewis for a Knighthood or an Honour

Rex

42 minutes ago, Rex Wyer said:

Lots more deserving folk out there than Lewis for a Knighthood or an Honour

Rex

And a lot LESS deserving folk than Lewis included in the 30 odd pages of award recipients. Until the system is overhauled or abolished, I would maintain that Lewis is no less deserving that those with other sporting achievements who have been knighted. Doubt if anyone will change their views on this one though...

Miles

40 minutes ago, MilesA said:

And a lot LESS deserving folk than Lewis included in the 30 odd pages of award recipients. Until the system is overhauled or abolished, I would maintain that Lewis is no less deserving that those with other sporting achievements who have been knighted. Doubt if anyone will change their views on this one though...

Miles

My view exactly!

John.