Quick backlight question - Honeybourne

Hi Jase, 

I recently fitted a Honeyborne back light to my 4A.  I went the way of Stuart and purchase mine from Honeyborne with an unshaped rear window and opened up the window size to that of the original metal backlight. I then shaped the window to the original glass size and used an original window seal  such that in appearance it looks as if  original, especially in the acute corners.

You have to cut off the second stud in both sides if it's fitted to a 4A. Also the backlight to body seal provided by Honeyborne is too large in section and does not allow the Backlight to pull down to the rear deck properly. You need an AT2007 seal from Seals-Direct which works much better.

Overall it looks very good and is difficult to tell the difference from original for under £400. If you search Honeyborne on the Forum there is plenty of info.

Rich

IMG-20200815-WA0000.jpg

Hi Jase,

It's a CRYLUX window supplied by Honeyborne untrimmed. The shape of the aperture was increased to give aa approximate 10mm land all round as would be an original one. Luckily I was able to reprofile the crylux window by laying over a genuine glass window from a friend and marking the shape. Both the crylux window and the backlight were cut using a 150mm x 1mm cutting disc in my grinder.

An original  glass window could be used, but unless your very confident and practiced at fitting the rear glass in a Backlight, its very difficult owing to the acute corners and is not for the faint hearted. Stuart was very helpful during my modification as he did the same modification to his Honeyborne. I believe he broke an original glass trying to fit it and settled also on Crylux! 

Good lick

Rich

Jason,

you may find this forum post link Honeybourne backlight  which was initiated by Rich of some use.  I asked a related query myself though I have an original metal backlight.  There's a link to several earlier posts on the subject there as well.

Rich, 

That looks nice, best colour as well in my opinion - wedgewood blue. 

Paul

Edited by PaulAnderson
4 hours ago, rvwp said:

An original  glass window could be used, but unless your very confident and practiced at fitting the rear glass in a Backlight, its very difficult owing to the acute corners and is not for the faint hearted. Stuart was very helpful during my modification as he did the same modification to his Honeyborne. I believe he broke an original glass trying to fit it and settled also on Crylux! 

Good lick

Rich

I actually broke one of the new laminated ones rather than an original, an original possibly would have gone in OK as the toughened ones will flex a lot better than laminate. FWIW I think the upper section of the fibre frame is quite flimsy too so I bonded a piece of wood in underneath flush with the frame and this also meant I had somewhere to screw my high level brake light and interior light too. You will also find the countersinks where the roof bolts up through are too small to take the original size finisher cups so Roger H kindly spun me up some slightly smaller ones. He also makes some nice stainless finishers to fit on top to protect the paint around those mounting holes and the ones for the soft section frame.

Stuart.

How does the Revington set up compare? I've looked at a complete system with flexi glass and a mohair surrey coming in for approx £1800. The upgraded Surrey system sounds good, anyone fitted this?

14 hours ago, Jase said:

How does the Revington set up compare? I've looked at a complete system with flexi glass and a mohair surrey coming in for approx £1800. The upgraded Surrey system sounds good, anyone fitted this?

Its essentially the same thing in the rear, the soft section uses a TR5/6 header rail which would entail you changing your windscreen frame to provide fixings. Read up on the post quoted above for DIY options to keep the cost down.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Thanks Stuart, fortunately I have a TR5 windscreen frame on the car already so hopefully not too many more mods. I was wondering if there is any difference in the construction of the Revington backlight given that it is more expensive and will a modified Revington Surrey fit a Honeybourne.

Thanks

6 hours ago, Jase said:

Thanks Stuart, fortunately I have a TR5 windscreen frame on the car already so hopefully not too many more mods. I was wondering if there is any difference in the construction of the Revington backlight given that it is more expensive and will a modified Revington Surrey fit a Honeybourne.

Thanks

TBH I cant see any difference in the Revington rear section to a Honeybourne one and yes the Expensive Revingtons Soft section will fit the Honeybourne rear, I make my own, its not difficult once you have the TR5/6 header rail. Theres been lots of discussion on here about it previously.

Stuart.

11 minutes ago, stuart said:

TBH I cant see any difference in the Revington rear section to a Honeybourne one and yes the Expensive Revingtons Soft section will fit the Honeybourne rear, I make my own, its not difficult once you have the TR5/6 header rail. Theres been lots of discussion on here about it previously.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

Doesn't the Revington rear section (backlight ?) allow the fitment of their Roll over bar up inside it ? so does that mean the Honeybourne backlight will also ?

Mick Richards

2 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Hi Stuart,

Doesn't the Revington rear section (backlight ?) allow the fitment of their Roll over bar up inside it ? so does that mean the Honeybourne backlight will also ?

Mick Richards

No thats a different product, that one has pretty much no internal ribs over the top and the ROB fits right up inside it, without the ROB its very flimsy basically just a skin panel. The Honeybourne is a dead copy of an original ally one.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Hi - as this is a current topic I thought I'd ask a question on my backlight fitting. I'm restoring my TR4 and am at the point of fitting a new glass seal to my backlight. Not a Honeybourne, it's the original alloy backlight and glass. I read on another thread that the Moss seal was best as it is longer. However, having obtained one from Moss, it's too long! Seems like a couple of inches at least (I've measured it against the old seal and also trial fitted it to the glass).

Has anyone experienced length issues with the new seals? Are the longer ones for Honeybournes? Has anyone sourced and fitted a seal for an original backlight? Don't want to fit the old seal on my nice new paintwork.

Any help appreciated!

Rod

Stuart’s the man to advise on this, he has fitted more Surrey backlights than any 10 members. From memory he says the Moss seal is bang on, despite it looking long .

Mick Richards

Thanks Mick, sounds ideal. I had just spent hours replacing the vinyl trim and thought "I'll just pop on the seal and refit the glass". Should have known better....

I refitted the original glass into the original frame with a seal from Moss and it was perfect. The seal does appear to be on the long side but as Stuart will I’m sure explain the ‘excess’ rubber is used up in the acute angled lower foremost corners of the frame.

Tim

Tim - that's good to know and gives me hope. I am doing the "fit seal to glass then fit to the frame with the pull-string method". I got the seal onto the glass, fitting it snugly all round, but ended up with a fair bit more seal than glass. Maybe I should have trial fitted the seal onto the frame first but I'm not sure that would help.

I just fitted the old seal back onto the glass (for fun and because it's lockdown) and it fits perfectly.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll await Stuart's input.

Cheers

All that I have said has been learnt from Stuart. I think that a degree of believe/confidence also helps. I am a novice and if I can do it then ......

Tim