Triumph TR6 CP 1972 Switch Plinth

Cp Switch  has 5 holes Dave, the ignition switch is in the Switch Plinth , second from the right next to the choke, which is nearest to you, presumably it's RHD.

Cheers, Conrad. 

That's me knackered then, i was under the impression that when it changed from CP to CR , the SwitchPlinth set up and ignition position changed. Obviously other stuff too.

Conrad.

It also depends on original market, Malines built cars had steering locks on all, they could also be ordered for home market cars from TR4 on so check your heritage certificate.

Stuart.

Also have a cp with steering lock.  Plinth is original and 4 hole. 

Tim

I still have the punch and die to convert the 4 hole item to 5.  The metal backing of 718787 , the 4 hole item has 5 holes so it was a simple align and punch through the plastic and foam job.

Peter W

My 1970 CP has a steering lock and four hole original plinth, but could it have been rebuilt from later bits in the past? I fitted a repro four home plinth. 

Gareth

32 minutes ago, aardvark said:

Original Triumph TR book states the home market steering lock being standard on CP52786 onwards.  My 70 car is slightly earlier and does not have the steering lock.

cheers

dave

So it could have been an option before it became standard?  

Gareth

9 hours ago, ntc said:

Not so 

What? Presumably its a RHD car which I agree was not mentioned in the initial post. Thus if its a 72 model which started at CP75000 then it has to have a 4 hole plinth and the steering lock under the dash.  Now as quoted above the 5 hole plinth was done away with at CP52786, with the ignition switch transferred to a steering column locking device and thus CP52786 was a 71 model then just what part of "Not so" have I missed.

I have to say a 2 word answer this time will not cut the mustard either!

Alan

For what its worth mine is a UK PI 1969 and has a 5 hole plinth and no steering lock.

Suspect it was a parts bin hang over by triumph to use up stocks of parts from the TR5 before changing to a steering lock which makes more sense but doesn't look quite as nice as having the ignition in the plinth!

Andy

13 minutes ago, cp25616 said:

What? Presumably its a RHD car which I agree was not mentioned in the initial post. Thus if its a 72 model which started at CP75000 then it has to have a 4 hole plinth and the steering lock under the dash.  Now as quoted above the 5 hole plinth was done away with at CP52786, with the ignition switch transferred to a steering column locking device and thus CP52786 was a 71 model then just what part of "Not so" have I missed.

I have to say a 2 word answer this time will not cut the mustard either!

Alan

Alan 

Some cp5...,., was registered in 72 that happens with new cars today 

The steering lock was standard for Canley built TR6 from CC50001 and CP50001 except for the UK home market cars where it was introduced from CP52786. As Stuart notes for TR6 assembled in the Belgium factory the steering lock was standard for all CP series TR6 which had Germany as the destination, I'm not sure about other destinations. Steering locks were also available from Dealers as a kit and could also be ordered as an accessory fitted from the factory from the start of TR6 production. I'm not sure what they did with the plinth however and pretty sure they just blanked the key hole off off when one was fitted as a kit .

Happy New Year

Derek

14 minutes ago, saffrontr said:

As Stuart notes for TR6 assembled in the Belgium factory the steering lock was standard for all CP series TR6 which had Germany as the destination, I'm not sure about other destinations.

Happy New Year

Derek

Not for France

Stuart.

IMG_2431.thumb.jpg.7c09df41e32257e3521def11781ab454.jpgIMG_2433.thumb.jpg.6ec38f37d28a06da3a3fac3a641d01ee.jpg

Thanks Stuart, by co-incidence I have put out an appeal in my report for the next TRaction for info on what the 1969 model German market steering locks looked like and also whether anyone has a copy of the steering lock fitting guide which had a Triumph reference number of 147877/1

cheers

Derek

23 hours ago, saffrontr said:

The steering lock was standard for Canley built TR6 from CC50001 and CP50001 except for the UK home market cars where it was introduced from CP52786. As Stuart notes for TR6 assembled in the Belgium factory the steering lock was standard for all CP series TR6 which had Germany as the destination, I'm not sure about other destinations. Steering locks were also available from Dealers as a kit and could also be ordered as an accessory fitted from the factory from the start of TR6 production. I'm not sure what they did with the plinth however and pretty sure they just blanked the key hole off off when one was fitted as a kit .

Happy New Year

Derek

Hi Derek!

My 1973 CR car was ordered with the Lucas hazard module as per BAOR cars and has the 5 hole plinth which was used to mount the hazard module. Was the extra hole just molded over on later cars?

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Interesting that yours being a BAOR TR6  should have the hazard mounted in the earlier plinth, I did just assume they mounted it under the dash somewhere. The later plinths were different and had the holes at different spacing to the earlier ones. If you get the chance sometime please either send me an image of it or post one here.

cheers

Derek 

plinth.JPG

plinth rear.JPG