MX5 seat info (again)

Hi Pete 

I'm in the process of fitting some MX5 seats into the 4a also, having looked at the cd I decided to make up my own fixing brackets using 40mm x 20mm rectangular box as I found I only need to raise the seat by 20mm to clear floor drilled in the right places to use the existing floor mounts . I think if you follow the cd you may need the assistance of a metal folding machine to carry out the folds. If you do a search there are other methods which members have used also  

Chris  

Ian - I don't know when you bought your seats, and I assume you are talking about Paul Bishop in Winchester, who does a superb job, but when I bought a pair of black with white piping MX5 seats at the beginning of the year, he didn't offer me any brackets, hence why I went out and sourced my own.

I found a local TR enthusiast who had commissioned these brackets to his own design and quality as he found existing brackets were were lacking in both these areas and fit. Having sourced some for myself, which necessitated a new bulk order, I thought other members might appreciate the opportunity to get some really good quality items at a price quite a lot less than other suppliers in the market.

If Paul is currently selling these brackets for £50, then that's great news for all forumites/members as I'm all for trying to save everyone money, but there may be a bit of a problem unless he has changed his policies as he doesn't/didn't usually post/ship any parts, and hence you have to collect. 

It's easy to look at apples and pears, but you can't compare them directly - does the same apply here? I don't know, but I do know the quality and value my brackets offer, in my opinion of course.

Just wanted to put a balance on the posts - also included some photos of the seats in question fitted in a TR6 ( anybody know why photos keep changing orientation when attached to these posts as they are not like this before being transferred? If someone can explain how to correct them, I will try in future)

Cheers Rich

IMG_4288.JPG - Resized.JPG

IMG_4289.JPG - Resized.JPG

IMG_4290.JPG - Resized.JPG

I bought MX5 seats on ebay and used TR Trader brackets, £83 inc vat, very good, helpful instructions, good value (no connection)

Good luck

https://www.trtrader.com/parts-lists/MX5-seat-brackets.htm

20201126_125716_resized_1.jpg

20201126_134902_resized_1.jpg

20201127_163921_resized.jpg

The brackets in the photos are broadly similar to the ones I bought. I bought the seats in 2018 and because Paul is relatively local to me I picked them up. He had this pair of brackets that he offered to include for an extra £50 so I took them. Otherwise I would have made some using the same pattern. 

Rgds Ian

Hi Pete, 

I made my own, they run from left to right, not front to rear, this provides better stiffness. More work than expected, as always, but very happy with the result.

I used square tube, and some plate, and they bolt on the existing holes in the floor; welding gear required. I can send you a sketch and some piccies as a guidance if you pm me a mail adres, but please do check/adjust the dimensions for your car before copying.

Cheers,

Waldi

I used the pattern from the Technical CD and my neighbour made them up from plate, angle and channel for the front one. He sells combine harvesters so has access to workshops and odd bits of heavy duty metal!

It was tricky getting the bolt holes aligned, and a fair bit of work has to be done to the MX5 runners. Very strong though.

Brian

Seat brackets.jpg

I prefer the strength of the Technicalities ones and having done a few I can convert the MX runners to fit pretty quickly now.

Stuart.

I have TR Trader brackets for my 6.

The rear bracket needed to have the mounting holes elongated slightly otherwise the seat hit the B pillar, it still touches as I need the seat all the way back to be able to fit. I off-setting the seat adjusters one notch before fitting, so the seat is at a slight angle to the brackets when you lift it in, plus a bit of Son Of A Gun to aid lubrication to reducing the annoying squeaks.

I also raised the front about 40mm to make the sitting position far more comfortable, as you are now sitting back in the seat and it's not just your derrière touching the seat but also the backs of your thighs. I used an M10 joining nut drilled and tapped for half it's length to 7/16 (the long M10 bolt is only for illustration purposes, 25mm is sufficient!):

469771708_DSC_03651.thumb.JPG.8bfa5d2a51f312562b82e1dbaf454cc5.JPG

On 12/30/2020 at 7:23 PM, rcreweread said:

Ian - I don't know when you bought your seats, and I assume you are talking about Paul Bishop in Winchester, who does a superb job, but when I bought a pair of black with white piping MX5 seats at the beginning of the year, he didn't offer me any brackets, hence why I went out and sourced my own.

I found a local TR enthusiast who had commissioned these brackets to his own design and quality as he found existing brackets were were lacking in both these areas and fit. Having sourced some for myself, which necessitated a new bulk order, I thought other members might appreciate the opportunity to get some really good quality items at a price quite a lot less than other suppliers in the market.

If Paul is currently selling these brackets for £50, then that's great news for all forumites/members as I'm all for trying to save everyone money, but there may be a bit of a problem unless he has changed his policies as he doesn't/didn't usually post/ship any parts, and hence you have to collect. 

It's easy to look at apples and pears, but you can't compare them directly - does the same apply here? I don't know, but I do know the quality and value my brackets offer, in my opinion of course.

Just wanted to put a balance on the posts - also included some photos of the seats in question fitted in a TR6 ( anybody know why photos keep changing orientation when attached to these posts as they are not like this before being transferred? If someone can explain how to correct them, I will try in future)

Cheers Rich

IMG_4288.JPG - Resized.JPG

IMG_4289.JPG - Resized.JPG

IMG_4290.JPG - Resized.JPG

Rich, 

I also got the the brackets from Paul with the seats - I think they were about £70 though back in 2019. He only supplies them with the seats and as you say they need to be collected.

Cheers Darren

17 hours ago, jpmf said:

I have TR Trader brackets for my 6.

The rear bracket needed to have the mounting holes elongated slightly otherwise the seat hit the B pillar, it still touches as I need the seat all the way back to be able to fit. I off-setting the seat adjusters one notch before fitting, so the seat is at a slight angle to the brackets when you lift it in, plus a bit of Son Of A Gun to aid lubrication to reducing the annoying squeaks.

I also raised the front about 40mm to make the sitting position far more comfortable, as you are now sitting back in the seat and it's not just your derrière touching the seat but also the backs of your thighs. I used an M10 joining nut drilled and tapped for half it's length to 7/16 (the long M10 bolt is only for illustration purposes, 25mm is sufficient!):

469771708_DSC_03651.thumb.JPG.8bfa5d2a51f312562b82e1dbaf454cc5.JPG

Another reason why I prefer the Technicalities brackets as they angle the seat correctly for me as well and I can get them all the way back.

Stuart.