Cylinder Head Gasket

May be a basic question but...

got a Moss cylinder head gasket for a recessed block. 

it’s black and has a slightly rubbery coating to it. My question is does it need Wellseal on it or is it self sealing and the wellseal will damage the coating. 
btw. Fresh machined block and head. 

cheers

jonathan 

Jonathan,

they often seep a little on the distributor side due to the offset head retaining studs and nuts. Skimmed head and decked block and it still leaked a tiny amount. Re did it with wellseal rolled on both sides - no leaks.

I would re do it with wellseal.

Colin

Hi

If I may hijack a bit . . I am seeing its about £130-£170 for a head gasket (composite).  This is kinda crazy pricing is it not?  Peter Burgess suggested a Payen Composite, but I have not had great success in finding one.  Any suggestions?  My re-build it costing more than I planned.

Richard

4 hours ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Hi

If I may hijack a bit . . I am seeing its about £130-£170 for a head gasket (composite).  This is kinda crazy pricing is it not?  Peter Burgess suggested a Payen Composite, but I have not had great success in finding one.  Any suggestions?  My re-build it costing more than I planned.

Richard

It is easily obtainable here in the UK from any motor Factor. Those prices that you are quoting look to me they are for a Reinz or Elring German head gasket? Those Germans know how to charge! They need no education on pricing? Peter Burgess has given you the right info, go for a Payen head gasket set.

Bruce.