Door Furlex - Where does it Go and How is it Attached

I along with a few others judging by another thread concerning the B pillars are in the process or trimming the car. A common issue is the furflex seals at the front and back of the doors.

Please could we have advice and hopefully pictures as to how it fit the furflex.   Thanks,  John

This hopefully is a link to the other thread.

Finishing off the ends.

Not sure about the TR, but I’m sure I’ve seen this sort of thing used on other cars:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BIFURCATED-RIVETS-SPLIT-LEG-NICKEL-PLATED-3-8-x-No-11-FOR-D-RINGS-PICTURE-FRAME-/362781861211

I think they come in different sizes from other suppliers

Charlie

John

Sent you a PM and some Pics.

Ralph

Furflex is nailed to the wood so that the tube filled section just butts up against the edge of the panel thus forming a draught seal across the gap to the door trim, its held on with carpet tacks Carpet tacks, at the top where it meets with the elbow capping open the furflex up and trim the rubber tube back to flush with the top of the "B" post and then glue the furflex back together and tuck it behind the quarter panel cover.

Stuart.

2 hours ago, stuart said:

Furflex is nailed to the wood so that the tube filled section just butts up against the edge of the panel thus forming a draught seal across the gap to the door trim, its held on with carpet tacks Carpet tacks, at the top where it meets with the elbow capping open the furflex up and trim the rubber tube back to flush with the top of the "B" post and then glue the furflex back together and tuck it behind the quarter panel cover.

Stuart.

Thank you Stuart.

what happens at the top of the A post or is the furflex tadpole just hidden behind the dash and therefore not going to the very top?

Peter W

28 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Thank you Stuart.

what happens at the top of the A post or is the furflex tadpole just hidden behind the dash and therefore not going to the very top?

Peter W

Top of the "A" post you cut the rubber back to the edge of the capping and tuck the waste edge up under the edge of the front capping.

Stuart.

patrics tr2 015.jpg

Edited by stuart

Did mine today following Stuarts recomendation. Think it looks OK.  

Ralph

20201229_160124.jpg

16 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Did mine today following Stuarts recomendation. Think it looks OK.  

Ralph

20201229_160124.jpg

Thats not bad but I dont think you trimmed the rubber off early enough, should be in line with the top of the "B" post face then you can loose the waste edge in earlier and you wont get the quarter panel top corner sticking out like that.

Stuaertr.

Thanks Stuart, I did wonder exactly where it should stop, but took it to the top of the 1/4 trim panel so as to hide the back of the panel. I am not happy with the way that the panel sticks up above the B post, are they always like that?  I can see it getting caught and damaged getting in and out.

Ralph

Just now, Ralph Whitaker said:

Thanks Stuart, I did wonder exactly where it should stop, but took it to the top of the 1/4 trim panel so as to hide the back of the panel. I am not happy with the way that the panel sticks up above the B post, are they always like that?  I can see it getting caught and damaged getting in and out.

Ralph

Its shouldnt stick out your right and you`ll often find on well used cars that top corner is well worn and bent back through people getting in and out. Trouble is its difficult to get a screw right in the topmost corner to hold it as theres nothing to screw it too.

Stuart.

Found this photo from an old road test that clearly shows that both the trim panel and the furflex need to finish level with the top of the B post as Stuart says. Clearly my 1/4 trim panels are too tall. Looks like I am going to have to peel back the vinyl and alter them. I have a load of white piping so while I am at it I may shorten the  edge at the B post and run new piping right round and down, as I think it should be.

Compare the  photos and you will see what I mean. The trim panels I have seem to swoop up slightly just before they get to the B post.

Ralph

20201231_083940.jpg

20201231_083848.jpg

20201231_082037.jpg

I recently took a more utilitarian approach to 'finishing' new furflex on the B Posts of my admittedly less than pristine car. Cut straight and plugged with a small rubber grommet. As it it is all black, I do not think it stands out.

IMG_8879.thumb.jpg.ed92c5beaae47b7e9c23f0d4bc1e90b8.jpg

Miles

On 12/31/2020 at 1:35 PM, MilesA said:

I recently took a more utilitarian approach to 'finishing' new furflex on the B Posts of my admittedly less than pristine car. Cut straight and plugged with a small rubber grommet. As it it is all black, I do not think it stands out.

IMG_8879.thumb.jpg.ed92c5beaae47b7e9c23f0d4bc1e90b8.jpg

Miles

Miles, I unashamedly copied your idea for finishing the furflex on the A pillar. Seemed such a good idea and easy. See Pic, (light reflecting off it a bit)

Ralph

20210103_173025.jpg

I recently fitted Furflex to the door gaps and found that the top could be finished quite neatly by cutting about 10/12mm longer than required and ‘rolling’ the end back in on itself (it is essentially just a rubber tube covered in fluff). The end result is a neat rounded carpet top without any additional adornments to fall off or come unstuck. 
No pictures to hand, but I can take a couple if any one is interested. Probably worth trying it out on a small spare piece of Furflex so you can get the hang of it and see what the finished result will look like.

Chris

15 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Miles, I unashamedly copied your idea for finishing the furflex on the A pillar. Seemed such a good idea and easy. See Pic, (light reflecting off it a bit)

Ralph

20210103_173025.jpg

Ralph

Snap! Installing furflex greatly reduced the 'air conditioning' from the A post area!

Also, your vinyl covering seems to be the same as mine. Don't suppose you know the supplier as I need to do some patching.

118595067_IMG_8866(1).jpg.c0c14b997dfaf822c08c6f46df53fd99.jpg

Miles

IMG_8866.jpg

31 minutes ago, MilesA said:

Ralph

Snap! Installing furflex greatly reduced the 'air conditioning' from the A post area!

Also, your vinyl covering seems to be the same as mine. Don't suppose you know the supplier as I need to do some patching.

Woolies, earlier in the year. PM me your address and I will put you a sample in the post. I bought enough to do all the interior myself, not knowing how long the lockdown was going to be and how the finances were going to stand up, but as we went back to work later I bought the trim for the back of the car and will buy the door panels too in a little while, so got oceans of the vinyl left if it turns out to be the same as yours.

Ralph.

14 hours ago, cjstoodley said:

I recently fitted Furflex to the door gaps and found that the top could be finished quite neatly by cutting about 10/12mm longer than required and ‘rolling’ the end back in on itself (it is essentially just a rubber tube covered in fluff). The end result is a neat rounded carpet top without any additional adornments to fall off or come unstuck. 
No pictures to hand, but I can take a couple if any one is interested. Probably worth trying it out on a small spare piece of Furflex so you can get the hang of it and see what the finished result will look like.

Chris

Exactly how I described it earlier in this same thread, a much neater and more original way of finishing it.

Stuart.

15 hours ago, cjstoodley said:

Chris

This what you mean Chris?

20210104_112953.jpg

7 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Woolies, earlier in the year. PM me your address and I will put you a sample in the post. I bought enough to do all the interior myself, not knowing how long the lockdown was going to be and how the finances were going to stand up, but as we went back to work later I bought the trim for the back of the car and will buy the door panels too in a little while, so got oceans of the vinyl left if it turns out to be the same as yours.

Ralph.

Very kind offer Ralph. PM sent.

Miles