Trailing Arm bushes

Personally I’d go for the blue superpro as supplied by the likes of Moss. There are yellow and red available but they are harder giving a harder ride. The ‘rubber’ seems to be variable quality and not long lasting.

Make a note of the number of shims and their locations and the orientation of the brackets as mixing it up will upset the camber and toe in.

I would also thoroughly clean the brackets and check for vertical cracks running from the edges to the bolt holes and check the bolt holes for ovality too.

Would make good practice to replace the stiff nuts too.

Edited by DaveN
2 minutes ago, DaveN said:

Personally I’d go for the blue superpro as supplied by the likes of Moss. There are yellow and red available but they are harder giving a harder ride. The ‘rubber’ seems to be variable quality and not long lasting.

Make a note of the number of shims and their locations and the orientation of the brackets as mixing it up will upset the camber and toe in.

I would also thoroughly clean the brackets and check for vertical cracks running from the edges to the bolt holes and check the bolt holes for ovality too.

Would make good practice to replace the stiff nuts too.

+1

new Nyloks

Cracking can get serious

Roger

P1020449ab.jpg

My car originally had red poly bushes on the front end and they were hard. The blue ones are definitely more compliant and felt better on the road, although it was subtle. The rear suspension was deteriorating rubber. That is now poly bushed as well. As you will be removing the trailing arms I recommend that you change the spring isolators and the shock absorber drop links for poly as well.

I have poly all round. Didn't notice any change in the ride.

Adjusting the front shocks a few notches harder did make a difference. Poly doesn't have much effect on ride and will last long enough for the next owner to worry about the replacement.

On 12/30/2020 at 8:05 AM, John McCormack said:

Poly doesn't have much effect on ride and will last long enough for the next owner to worry about the replacement.

I replaced all my TR5 suspension bushes with Blue poly around 1998. During my current (2020) full body off restoration I've removed them all to replace with new, just because it seemed sensible while the car was in a million pieces, but in realty there were no obvious signs of deterioration and they would have lasted many years longer.

On 12/28/2020 at 2:25 PM, jerrytr5 said:

Make sure the spacer tube is stainless steel. Many are not.

https://www.superflex.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=SF378-0077KSS

Jerry

Jerry has a good point here, the pivot bolt on the inner end of one of my bottom front wishbone bushes was completely seized with rust in the inner steel tube. Couldn't even press it out with my 10 tonne press. Had to cut the mounting bracket off to remove it in pieces.

Dave McD 

Personally I've always fitted Super Pro bushes to a lot of cars over the years and fitted them to my TR as part of its ongoing restoration as I have faith they will do a good job despite me having no experience of them in a TR!

There is a definite difference in ride between "poly bushes" and the Super Pro offerings when I've swapped out "polys" out from other manufactures in MX5/TVR's and a few Fords more noticeable when on track. The suspension arms should move without stiction and fall to the ground under their own weight once the pivot bolts are tightened up. The grease that comes with them should be smeared into the centre of the bush so that it allows the stainless tube to rotate.

Wear wise I've never seen one fail and the grease seems to stay put and not dry out, only snag is they cost around twice the other offerings. Cheaper to buy as car kits than individually.

Andy

Also used superpro blue. Seems pretty good. Main reason was uncertainty regarding repro rubber bushes. 

Tim