'Rope' Filler in B Pillar to Attach Trim - What Is It ?

I am in the process of trimming my TR3a and when I took it apart in a slot just behind the door on one side was a strip of twisted rope type material which seemed to be on the receiving end of a few tacks to hold the seal or trim in that area.

The one I am missing I am intending to replace with a bit of old pallet wood.

My question is - What should it be ?                              Thanks in anticipation.

In my opinion they adjusted the position of the b-post / striker plate or - on the long run - the position of the front / bulkhead to the rear of the car with this gap. In this area it's possible to vary about half an inch...

Or am I wrong with this?

It was originally a bit of Jute, I would use a sliver of wood thats hard enough to take the carpet tacks that were used to hold the furflex in with originally.

28 minutes ago, john minchin said:

I put in a piece of pallet wood as this seemed top meet the criteria. By the time I had whittled it to fit there was only a sliver left.

Thanks for the picture Stuart, that is actually my car judging by the roll over bar holes in the inner wing.

John

Correct John it is.

Stuart.

I am at the same stage, trimming the rear wheel arches and fitting the  rear  trim panels. I have whittled some wood down and fitted it in, now need to attach the furflex . 

I have been looking through all my books to try find a picture that shows how the top of the furflex is finished off. I am thinking that if i cut it over length and remove a small section of the rubber tube from inside, I could maybe fold the unsupported material over and trap it under the 1/4 trim panel.

Any help or photos appreciated.

Same problem with the A pillar furflex too.

Ralph.

6 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

I am at the same stage, trimming the rear wheel arches and fitting the  rear  trim panels. I have whittled some wood down and fitted it in, now need to attach the furflex . 

I have been looking through all my books to try find a picture that shows how the top of the furflex is finished off. I am thinking that if i cut it over length and remove a small section of the rubber tube from inside, I could maybe fold the unsupported material over and trap it under the 1/4 trim panel.

Any help or photos appreciated.

Same problem with the A pillar furflex too.

Ralph.

Please start a thread on how you resolve the ‘end of furflex’ issue.

I too am at this stage.

Peter W

This is where I am. You can see the wood down each side. The wood is approx 10mm wide. I would appreciate any clues as to how and where the furflex attaches as the side arch trim panels cover the wood.

I am having to adjust the length of the side rear arch trim panels not because they are made wrong but the car seems different side to side, only by 5mm or so.

For 25 years my car had no furflex fitted and I rarely if ever drive it with the hood up so in many ways does it matter if fitted at all ?  John

1778418358_IntTrimsmaller.thumb.jpg.8b3af78f9b14ddaae60e98f1e5110d86.jpg