How to free-up a Bosch pump?

Hi all,

I'm looking for any advice on how to free-up a Bosch pump that appears to have jammed. I drained the tank to calibrate my fuel gauge (see pinned thread). Of course I disconnected the fuel pump while calibrating. When I put the petrol back in, reconnected the pump and switched on the ignition, the pump screamed through lack of fuel. I turned off straight away. Had a little think, and tried again. There was a dull "donk" (you know, "donk") from the pump, and then silence. I get the same sound each time I try.

I suspect the pump has somehow stalled and jammed. The engineer in me (the one that didn't say "no need to fix the fuel gauge, it works!") thinks a bit of percussive maintenance would do the trick. Before I try that, any input from the brains trust?

BTW, Season's greetings from the temporarily un-locked-down Northern Beaches (southern part) in Sydney! Back to lock-down tomorrow. Ho-hum, but thank goodness also.

Cheers,
John

Hi John
If it is the cartridge type, I have stripped one of my Bosch pumps down, when it seized, due to a really small piece of debris entered the pump.
The hydraulic end of the pump sits inside of the Aluminum cartridge and a seal is formed with an “O” ring, and then the end of the cartridge has the splined crimps, to prevent the hydraulic end from being forced out of the cartridge.
What I did was to force each of the splines back, by nipping them one at a time, in the corner of the vice, until each one was clear of the hydraulic end. This allowed me to withdraw it from the cartridge and clean it.
I then re-fitted the whole thing and taped the splines back into position. This was about 10 years ago and the pump is still working well and is totally petrol tight.

Brent

Perhaps spray some light oil into the inlet and outlet and try reversing polarity briefly, worked for me once.

steve

I had a similar problem, but the pump ran, just no fuel.pressure.   Diagnosis, seized roller due to corrosion secondary to ethanol fuel and water in it during overwinter storage, or else gums.     I tried running it from and to a can of fuel, treated with Upper cylinder lubricant, for about an hour.  Flow improved but not pressure.  

On a second occasion, after full pre storage treatment with Fuel preserver, I had no pressure.  But that was a failed pressure sensor!

John

12 hours ago, Steves_TR6 said:

Perhaps spray some light oil into the inlet and outlet and try reversing polarity briefly, worked for me once.

Nice idea, but no movement.

13 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

If it has **** in it clean it out before it gets shoved up the pipe and into the MU.  And ruins that.

Thanks. It has a pre-filter, so unlikely, but I'm doing everything on the bench to maker sure I don't get rubbish downstream.

14 hours ago, barkerwilliams said:

Not Bosch but a good read on fuel pump problems.

Thanks. Looks like a good source once I've got is apart...

14 hours ago, Brent C said:

What I did was to force each of the splines back, by nipping them one at a time, in the corner of the vice, until each one was clear of the hydraulic end. This allowed me to withdraw it from the cartridge and clean it.

I've opened up the two crimps (I think that's what you refer to as splines...not sure) but I can't pull the inner from the outer. I can rotate it about 1/4 turn and I v=can hear the 'O' ring squeaking, but no longitudinal movement. Any tips?

Thanks for all the replies. If I can't get the pump apart, it looks like I'm going to be another person looking for a Bosch pump or similar. The one that's just gone bung is type 580 254 909. The one before that (20 years ago) was a 580 254984. It lasted about 15 years. FWIW.

John

1 hour ago, john.r.davies said:

Carl, new proprietor of Prestige Injection(Malcolm has retired, while remaining as consultant) can supply suitable pump.

Carl supplied and fitted my pump no problems since

In case anyone finds this thread in future, here are a couple of useful resources.

1. List of Bosch pumps & specs. Only gives flow and current at 5bar (72psi), but the 5bar @ 10A pumps are well capable of 105psi (7.24bar). The current will be higher of course. Unfortunately this site doesn't provide charts of flow & current vs pressure, but I've used two of them (-909 and -984) for 20 and 15 years respectively. The -984 has the advantage of a built-in check valve which prevents flow at low pressure (e.g., when you disconnect the downstream fuel pipes to do some work on the MU). It also prevents reverse flow. Edit: Here's a Bosch brochure listing all pumps available in 2009 but, more importantly, it lists the 7 "universal" pumps in the range. Pretty clear that the 0 580 254 909/910 are well able to supply the 7.1 bar pressure we require (i.e., it's inside the safe envelope) but they would be operating above nominal design pressure of 5 bar (resulting in reduced flow and higher current draw than nominal).

2. Hayg pumps. They purport to be direct replacements for Bosch, even using the same part numbers. Much cheaper than Bosch, like 1/3 the price delivered in Oz. I've ordered a 0 580 254 984. I'll post here with my experience. EDIT: DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON HAYG PUMPS. I bought a -984 and it can't achieve the required pressure/flow combination for our PI system.

Were it not for the price of the Hayg, I'd have gone for a KMI-recionditioned Lucas pump. I still have my old one in a box somewhere!

John

Edited by JohnC
Added comment about Hayg pumps
5 hours ago, JohnC said:

Nice idea, but no movement.

Thanks. It has a pre-filter, so unlikely, but I'm doing everything on the bench to maker sure I don't get rubbish downstream.

Thanks. Looks like a good source once I've got is apart...

I've opened up the two crimps (I think that's what you refer to as splines...not sure) but I can't pull the inner from the outer. I can rotate it about 1/4 turn and I v=can hear the 'O' ring squeaking, but no longitudinal movement. Any tips?

Thanks for all the replies. If I can't get the pump apart, it looks like I'm going to be another person looking for a Bosch pump or similar. The one that's just gone bung is type 580 254 909. The one before that (20 years ago) was a 580 254984. It lasted about 15 years. FWIW.

John

A company called Glencoe here in the UK sell a Sytec pump part number OTP 0919 as a direct replacement for a large number of Bosch pumps as used by the 2.5PI Saloon boys here at £69.99. Pressure wise it can meet 10 bar with a max flow rate of 270 l/hr. They have a web page etc. I have only heard good reports on this pump type!

Bruce.

I also purchased and fitted mine from Glencoe (part number OTP019) back in 2012, and have had no issues. 

Alan

1971   2.5PI

On 12/26/2020 at 3:34 PM, barkerwilliams said:

Not Bosch but a good read on fuel pump problems.

http://www.partinfo.co.uk/files/Pierburg-Fuel Pump Product Info.pdf

Alan

Hi Alan!

The above article is very informative do you know whether Pierburg manufacture a pump suitable for a TR6?

Bruce.

Bruce,

Here is a list of some Pierburg products.

https://www.kmotorshop.com/content/detail/en/84/electric-fuel-pumps-pierburg

I have a  7.21659.72.0 as a spare and others on the forum have fitted.

Beware many suppliers "assume" Pierburg to be generic type  and offer a cheap copy.

Alan

23 hours ago, CP26309 said:

Hmmm...and I thought the Bosch pump was the answer to the Lucas pump? Not that my Lucas pump has ever misbehaved since I fitted the Cooling Coil way back in 1973! 

With modern fuel, it’s only a matter of time .....

• 3 weeks later...

In happy news, I've found that Bosch pumps respond to swearing :D. My -909 came back to life even though I didn't manage to dis-assemble it. As an experiment, I've refitted the 30yr-old -984 which is now happily buzzing away. It did generate the dreaded resonance, but replacing the (upstream) fuel filter and the HP hose to the PRV fixed that. Happy days!

John

14 hours ago, Mike C said:

Don't know if I'd be happy driving around with a pump that mysteriously came back to life. I'd keep using the old 984.

I am ;)

8 hours ago, Casar66 said:

You will get the proof in hot summer conditions. With bad luck it will start to howl. But not necessarily. Knock on wood!

Summer is here :D And the coming weekend will see temps well into the 30s. We'll see. 

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

Summer is here :D And the coming weekend will see temps well into the 30s. We'll see. 

42 in Euroa, where I keep  my car. Just replaced the voltage stabilizer to make sure I have an accurate temperature gauge for the weekend.

5 hours ago, Mike C said:

42 in Euroa, where I keep  my car. Just replaced the voltage stabilizer to make sure I have an accurate temperature gauge for the weekend.

Dont rub it in!

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

Dont rub it in!

Stuart.

He's from Melbourne. They get nice weather so rarely that they always point it out :P

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

He's from Melbourne. They get nice weather so rarely that they always point it out :P

:lol::lol::lol::lol: