Some Christmas Entertainment

Well I think it would be rather more 'cracking' if the verticals were actually upright.....B)

Looks like very early 1960s to me by the Oxfords/Cambridges and is that a Mini in the centre behind the Ford van - and another in front of the bus?  

4A155F07-EA62-41CE-BC18-150D7871A0B1.jpeg.f73f07dea73ef43cbad89ba76d5b95ee.jpg.599ba503de4bc53b262dd8289f87b1b7.jpg

Edited by RobH

Nicely nostalgic piccie Ian,

I'd guess it was taken in December 1962, as that looks to be a Mk10 Jaguar at the junction ..which wasn't introduced until 1961.

Edited by Bfg

There are no Mini's in the pic and by the early 60's they were in full flow.

The buses are RTL's and by the early 60's (1964) would have been replaced by the original RouteMasters.

I'm going for late 50's

The Christmas lights should give a clue as I understand that the patterns are logged somewhere.

Roger

Edited by RogerH
35 minutes ago, Bfg said:

Nicely nostalgic piccie Ian,

I'd guess it was taken in December 1962, as that looks to be a Mk10 Jaguar at the junction ..which wasn't introduced until 1961.

The Jaguar looks like a Mk 9 to me which would make it 1958 - 1961 and since the Mini didn't arrive properly until 1959, plus the fact that there is only one of them in the picture, (oops two, there is one to the right of the bus on the left), I agree with Stuart; 1959 is my guess.

Rgds Ian

Edited by Ian Vincent
9 minutes ago, RogerH said:

...The Taxi is an FX3...

Or is it a Beardmore? (Possibly a Mk6)

If you search on Google you will find  pictures of London light displays of Regent St at Christmas 1960, with the same angel light shapes, as in Ian's picture.

Charlie

2 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

The Jaguar looks like a Mk 9 to me which would make it 1958 - 1961 and since the Mini didn't arrive properly until 1959, plus the fact that there is only one of them in the picture, (oops two, there is one to the right of the bus on the left), I agree with Stuart; 1959 is my guess.

Rgds Ian

4A155F07a.jpg.3e66d5e0184a47c14ee970fba083a819.jpg

MK9 correct but I dont think thats a MK10 and as the picture is dated 1960 then it couldnt be, I think that maybe a Yank.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, boxofbits said:

Looks like a couple of Standards in there. The one in the left lane nearest the camera is a Standard 10 or Pennant Estate, then a Standard 8/10 in the distance. Could the car behind the Standard Estate be a Humber Hawk Mk1?

Kevin

Or a Mercedes Ponton?

20 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

Check out the rear window. I don’t think it’s a Vauxhall. 

Rgds Ian

Yes, rear window on a PA is very distinctive. I still reckon its a Yank.

Stuart.