Replacing front side brace chassis / body pads

Hi all

I found the slotted aluminium pad (item 95 in diagram) between the body and the near-side chassis front side brace had nearly escaped today, so I knocked it back into position and then torqued everything back up. However, as you can see from the second picture, while the aluminium pad is now back in position, the upper rubber pad (item 94) has split and needs replacing.  So, my question is, how difficult a job is this?  If I undo & remove the screw, is there enough give / flex between the body & the chassis brace for me to easily replace both rubber pads and then re-assemble everything?  I've checked the off-side and everything is in place, but it did need to be torqued up.

Thanks in advance

Steve

IMG_4471.thumb.JPG.d6b833ce4f092bfc9433db43daa06867.JPG

IMG_4472.thumb.JPG.7ba947cd15101b4c1dfcf555647ee3db.JPG

1635567055_TR6forum.JPG.0642955c152d6cbaeba5848b0dac18ec.JPG

+1 for Stuart response.

Do not forget you can get at it from both sides.   In through the wheel arch may aid access 

A spike through the washers to align them will help.

Peter W

I had a similar issue on my 5. The slotted aluminium pad actually fell out and I heard it pass under the car and saw it bouncing in the road in my rear view mirror! This happened around 4 months ago, so I cannot remember exactly, but I know I replaced the rubber pad too and it was not a hard job.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your replies. I went to change the pads today and found a thin pad above & below the aluminium pad, instead of a thin one above and a thick one below. It was clearly going to take some force to create enough space for the proper pads, so  I loosened the nut on the front chassis stud to provide more movement to find that only 1 thin pad had been used here instead of 2! At that point I decided to just go with a thin pad above & below the aluminium pad rather than, literally, force the issue. Always a voyage of discovery on a 48 year old car...Now I need to get 2 more thin pads for the o/s as I have the same issue there, plus take a look and see what pad arrangements I have elsewhere!

You don’t need to be precious about the number or thickness of the pads/spacers. It’s more important that what you use adds up to the correct thickness to fill the gap without straining anything or compromising the panel gaps.