whilst testing the the Tr4, it stopped

Hi Mates

I was out testing the Tr4 this morning before the temp' got to 39 c, when it just stopped, lack of fuel I thought, gauge almost on E, walked back home  about 1 k put 4 liters in, still nothing coming out, about 2 hours later went back w/ another 4 Lts ( getting hot now) when I pumped the fuel lever it looked like the fuel was moving in the bowl   but nothing going up to carbies , took the bowl off  still nothing,, I then fitted a small  gravity tank,, l that worked and I drove it home ,. got out of the heat till about 5pm, went out to the car to find fuel leaking out where removed  bowl was , its below the tank level,,( looked like it had just started),  , put the bowl back on and now it's back to normal , could have been vacuum in the tank?, but I open the cap several times or something floating in the tank, It was at empty ----another thing while I was out the test  ,, the gear lever needs to put reverse  gear very firmly  or it jumps out , the last mm means a lot ( thinking might fail the test on that)  ,, I remember I "may" have built up the gear lever ( in the selector area to stop it rattling ),,,,maybe that is stopping the movement? any thoughts --all the best for the season-----barry

Do you use a fuel additive, the little foil seal has been found in a few cases having been dropped in the tank.

Stuart.

Does the MOT in the UK require that the vehicle (if fitted with reverse gear) must be able to go backwards under its own power?

At the place where I have had the TR's MOT undertaken for the last 25 years, the only way out is by going backwards, so it is not something I had ever considered.

There were some 3 wheeler cars in the 1950s which had no reverse gear - with engine over the single front wheel, the driver just turned on to full right or left lock and the car would turn round.  One of these horrible devices was was owned by Mary Berry's mother - my brother and I were friends with William, Mary's younger brother, and would go to the smallholding frequently to cause chaos.  To start the machine, Mrs B had to reach forward and pull a lever beneath the dashboard - and I don't think there was any weather protection other than a windscreen.

Ian Cornish

Hi Mates--just took the petrol, tank off, it's got a lot of mostly non magnetic slag/ dirt in there , but the bottom of tank looks a bit rough, what the best thing to do , I could just wash w/ some strong detergent it out and leave it, or treat it w/ rust killer( are the tanks tin lined? ) not that keen to put a paint like coating in as I have seen them come loose and cause more trouble?--all the best for the new Year--Barry

As my tank was shedding fine particles, which blocked the gauze filter in the fuel pump, I used the Moss Slosh Tank Sealant on my petrol tank in the summer of 1997.

23 years is a pretty good test of the product, which should give Barry and others some confidence.

I believe that the offering, which at that time was just the Slosh itself, has been improved and is now a 3-part treatment.

Ian Cornish

Hi mates

The stuff in the tank was  like a hard mud/cement/ limestone material ,  I tested some small samples outside  the tank, they were not effected by rust killer or aluminium cleaner (that I also tried) could be the remains of petrol addative or lead that was in the fuel, no rust though, I tried the loose nuts shaking the tank method,  , but could only shake about 3 times , it was far too heavy, so I suspended the tank via a small sling on the two top bolt holes to a hook , took a rope via a snatch block ( small pulley ) to the bottom of the tank,, with this rope I could rotate the tank almost 3/4 of a turn quite fast for long periods and this did the trick, I'll wash it out today and refit--happy new year --Barry

That was a clever trick, Barry.

I used gravel in my tank, and the tank is almost 18 gallon capacity (about 50% more than a standard TR4 tank), so it was heavy.  However, I was in my late 50s then, so a lot stronger than I am now.

Ian Cornish

One idea for that someone came up with years ago was strap it to a cement mixer and let it run for an hour or so.

Stuart.

40 minutes ago, stillp said:

Another trick for shaking things like tanks is to borrow a supermarket trolley and push it back and forth with the tank in it. Good for sieving garden compost too.

Pete

Surely it's difficult to get garden compost through the tank filler hole ?

Mick Richards

22 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Surely it's difficult to get garden compost through the tank filler hole ?

Mick Richards

A&E consultants report that it's amazing what some people manage to get through small orifices, usually by "tripping and falling on them".

:o