TR withdrawal symptoms resolved

My car has been off the road a while now due to my first attempt at rewiring going wrong and the production of a second replacement loom taking a while, I'd been missing having a Triumph to drive so yesterday I picked this up. It was restored a couple of years ago, a lot of new panels fitted, the interior needs a good clean however and there are a few niggling jobs to do, including the wiring funnily enough, I'm mulling over trying to create a GT6 loom out of the near perfect first replacement CP loom I have. This is my 3rd GT6 but it's been 23 years since the last one, for a lot of that time I couldn't have fitted in one so this is quite an achievement for me!

RHS.jpg

Great looking car Ian, I love the look of the Mk1, and I say that as Mk3 GT6 owner.

Not sure about those alloys though... Just my opinion of course, and they can't be seen from the driver's seat!

Nigel

2 hours ago, Nigel Triumph said:

Great looking car Ian, I love the look of the Mk1, and I say that as Mk3 GT6 owner.

Not sure about those alloys though... Just my opinion of course, and they can't be seen from the driver's seat!

Nigel

They're Wolfrace slot mags, reasonably period, I don't like the body coloured inserts & caps so they'll be going, beyond that I'm undecided. Were it a Mk2 I'd go for Rostyles but the Mk1 was only chrome hubcaps or wires and I'm not keen on either really, possibly Minilite copies but they're just so common (I have them on my TR)

Nice car Ian. The Mk 2 I had was one of my and my wife's favourite cars. Sadly written off by an Audi driver "sorry, nice little car - I didn't see it".

Daylight driving lights might be worth considering. Swap the sidelights for a dual filament unit with LED on with the ignition perhaps - while you're doing the wiring.

Jerry

I think it looks great and the slot alloys do suit the car in that colour. 

The GT6's superb style is such a temptress  ..indeed she's very hard to resist but, with my being less agile now I'm into my mid-60's as well as being 6' 5", broad, and having big feet - I'm not sure if it would work for me  ..and even a strict diet wouldn't help much !

4 hours ago, iani said:

for a lot of that time I couldn't have fitted in one so this is quite an achievement for me!

Well done on that achievement ! 

Might I ask how does the GT6 compare in interior size, as well as ease of ingress and exit, compared to your TR6 ? 

Cheers, Pete.

Edited by Bfg
54 minutes ago, jerrytr5 said:

Nice car Ian. The Mk 2 I had was one of my and my wife's favourite cars. Sadly written off by an Audi driver "sorry, nice little car - I didn't see it".

Daylight driving lights might be worth considering. Swap the sidelights for a dual filament unit with LED on with the ignition perhaps - while you're doing the wiring.

Jerry

The rear cabin light unit has been replaced by an assembly made by a US owner, it incorporated a high level brake light, a very useful addition. I might well fit DRL's when I address the wiring.

16 minutes ago, Bfg said:

I think it looks great and the slot alloys do suit the car in that colour. 

The GT6's superb style is such a temptress  ..indeed she's very hard to resist but, with my being less agile now I'm into my mid-60's as well as being 6' 5", broad, and having big feet - I'm not sure if it would work for me  ..and even a strict diet wouldn't help much !

Well done on that achievement ! 

Might I ask how does the GT6 compare in interior size, as well as ease of ingress and exit, compared to your TR6 ? 

Cheers, Pete.

There's obviously more storage space in a GT6, the driving position is quite different though as I sit in the GT6 whereas it's more like sitting on the MX5 seats in my TR if that makes sense, I'd say it's a bit easier getting in/out of the TR on balance.

3 hours ago, iani said:

They're Wolfrace slot mags, reasonably period, I don't like the body coloured inserts & caps so they'll be going, beyond that I'm undecided. Were it a Mk2 I'd go for Rostyles but the Mk1 was only chrome hubcaps or wires and I'm not keen on either really, possibly Minilite copies but they're just so common (I have them on my TR)

Hi Ian,

Hope my comment on the alloys didn't cause offence. I really do like early GT6s, but I'm more attuned to slot mags on seventies cars, like a Mk3. It's just me...

Now a set of sixties 5.5J Dunlop steelies with chrome hub caps,, that would do it for me.  Very hard to find any in the correct offset these days though.

Nigel

5 minutes ago, jerrytr5 said:

1773859156_ErikasGT6.thumb.jpg.de08bf4735e673f5d72eeade51107bcc.jpg

Like these Nigel?

Adams & Page flogged 'em at a fiver each as I recall.

Jerry

That's the kind of wheel I like on sixties cars! Better still with chrome hub caps.

Nigel

"The spare won't fit in the wheel well so it has a 1970s space saver"....

No comment.

Mick Richards