Trunnionless front hubs

Had a quick search and couldn't find any information. Does anyone supply these? I'm about to replace my front verical links with Canley Classics kit:

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?product=trunnionless-front-suspension-kit

Had a link/trunnion fail on me many years ago and not keen on it happening again. Firstly, is this a problem on the 4A and secondly is there a similar replacement for the 4A?

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Jason

Originally available in the 1960's for Herald, Vitesse, Spitfire, GT6 and Bond. Was mainly aimed at the later Lotus 7. The Herald based front wishbone suspension is different than the TR2-6 set up.

Dave

Hi Jase,

as you have found, Canley Classics do a very good kit for the small chassis cars but not for our mighty beasts:blink:

The failure point on the Vertical Links is the thread run-out on the bottom where the Runnion screws in.  This is caused by rusty corrosion/pitts.

Keep the trunnion well greasd (annually) and if every you can see the thread run-out check for rust and corrosion.

If there is ANY rust/corrosion then change the VL.  There are pics on here but I can;t find them with the search facility

Roger

34 minutes ago, RogerH said:

The failure point on the Vertical Links is the thread run-out on the bottom where the Runnion screws in.  This is caused by rusty corrosion/pitts.

If you'll forgive me for clarifying, that may be true for TR (although it is quite rare for TR's to suffer this failure), but not for small chassis Triumphs. They can break at any point in their life and the Canley Classics conversion is highly recommended. After breaking a new GT6 one, I had the next set tuftrided. One of those also broke.

Jerry

I believe they did consider doing this for the TR range but it was thought to be too expensive a conversion as it would involve a complete lower suspension arm /upright kit.

Stuart.

i know that 2 full race TR4s had this type of trunnion removal in the 80s .  They were welded onto standard uprights.

1 is still racing but not sure if it still uses the ball joint.

Roy

On 12/23/2020 at 10:33 AM, RogerH said:

Hi Jerry,

indeed I was only commenting on the TRs.

The small chassis items must be very weak design.

Roger

Roger, The considered cause, back in the 1960's, was using grease and not EP90 oil to lubricate the trunnion. Standard Triumph always stipulated oil and not grease in these trunnions for that reason, though many have had grease applied over the years.

Well that's the history, take away what you want from it. I suspect there are a number of causes and the use of grease is one of them.

Happy Christmas,

Dave 

1 hour ago, DaveR said:

Roger, The considered cause, back in the 1960's, was using grease and not EP90 oil to lubricate the trunnion. Standard Triumph always stipulated oil and not grease in these trunnions for that reason, though many have had grease applied over the years.

Well that's the history, take away what you want from it. I suspect there are a number of causes and the use of grease is one of them.

Happy Christmas,

Dave 

More like lack of greasing once in the second hand market.

Stuart.

On 12/23/2020 at 10:33 AM, RogerH said:

Hi Jerry,

indeed I was only commenting on the TRs.

The small chassis items must be very weak design.

Roger

Phil Tucker uses small chassis suspension on the front of his trials TR3 so it's certainly capable of taking an awful lot of abuse despite the flimsy appearance. i think that it just shows how overbuilt the standard TR really is.

21 hours ago, Drewmotty said:

Phil Tucker uses small chassis suspension on the front of his trials TR3 so it's certainly capable of taking an awful lot of abuse despite the flimsy appearance. i think that it just shows how overbuilt the standard TR really is.

So how does that work and why?

Stuart.

years ago my mate was running a scimitar (which have the same VL) and he machined the VL and the trunnion so it was a smooth fit, no thread and then he secured it through the grease nipple thread....he's still alive.....don't know if the car is..........just sayin....don't shoot th.......