length of thread on steering rack ends

I have just purchased a new steering rack from Moss which has 55mm of thread at each end whilst my track rod ends have 46mm of internal thread.  With this combination I am unable to get near the necessary tracking arrangement for the car.

I could cut about 10mm off the thread at each end of the rack and it would all work but this is not what I expected and wonder whether this is something that is normal?

Thanks

Mike

51 minutes ago, Mike JOnes said:

I have just purchased a new steering rack from Moss which has 55mm of thread at each end whilst my track rod ends have 46mm of internal thread.  With this combination I am unable to get near the necessary tracking arrangement for the car.

I could cut about 10mm off the thread at each end of the rack and it would all work but this is not what I expected and wonder whether this is something that is normal?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike

The Moss WebCat states that a TR4A rack should be 1003mm long.

The TR4 is 1023mm long.  Length

Check your length.  If you have the correct length but it is still too long then complain.

About two/three years ago there was an issue with track rod ends be having the incorrect thread length. The details escape me at the moment.

Check these as werll.  Have you got the old items to compare to 

Roger

2 hours ago, Mike JOnes said:

Thanks

Mike

If you cut 10mm of thread off surely you will not then have enough room to get a lock nut on.

Ralph

Mike - try getting your existing rack reconditioned by Kiley Clinton in Birmingham -  https://steering-racks.co.uk/contact/

Did a superb job on some racks for me and good value as well - see my post from the summer - 

If you only have a LHD rack, try and find a RHD rack for refurb - it will probably work out not a lot more than a repro one, but the quality will be miles better they may give you something for your LHD one

No connection other than as a satisfied customer

Cheers Rich

Mike - sorry if I didn't make it clear - you can't part exchange a LHD one for a RHD one - you have to have a RHD to start with but it can be in pretty poor condition as it will be fully stripped and rebuilt with new parts as necessary - they will ( or they did) buy LHD units , but not for a lot!

Your TR6 project is certainly interesting so keep us informed!

Cheers Rich