TR2, TR3 sound and heat proofing

I used jute glued to the top of the tunnel with bolts exposed for removal. Also glued jute in the foot wells but no glue on floors. I think that's what it had originally but my car came with rubber mats instead of carpets and nothing underneath. I don't think any of it made a difference.

Tom

I used marine engine noise and heat insulation material under the gearbox tunnel. Contact adhesive to hold it on.

Noise and heat transmission are markedly reduced. Photos of a left over scrap piece.

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

I have used a product called Dead Mat, similar to Dynamat on the bulkhead for engine noise and rear seat area for back axle noise, and am using jute felt on the tunnel and floors under the carpets.  I will not know if it has made a difference, never having driven the car without, but experience with the vitesse has prompted me to do it. The vitesse is fine with the top down, but very noisy inside with the top up.

Ralph

6 hours ago, John McCormack said:

I used marine engine noise and heat insulation material under the gearbox tunnel. Contact adhesive to hold it on.

Noise and heat transmission are markedly reduced. Photos of a left over scrap piece.

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

That is a really good idea.  Thanks John.

There are a ridiculous amount of products available. 

This looks like a decent possibility:

https://www.thermotec.com/products/sound-and-heat-barriers/cool-it-mat

And this looks interesting as well for wiring:

https://www.thermotec.com/products/sleeving/express-sleeves

• 3 weeks later...

My TR4 has a fibreglass gearbox cover without any insulation or covering on either inside or outside.  In winter, it helps keep me warm, but in summer it turns the cabin into a veritable inferno.

As I am in the process of removing the gearbox for surgery at Dr Cox's practice, can members please advise me

(a) what thickness of insulation I could stick to the inside of the cover, and

(b) how far rearwards this can be taken without stopping the cover sitting onto the floor around all its edges. 

I ask (b) because the cover is very tight fit where the bottom front edge of the gear lever's gaiter has to slip inside the cover.  But perhaps it would be a matter of not having insulation on the inside top in that area?

Ian Cornish

Being fibreglass it is already thicker than a steel item, might be better to just stick on the outside. Not an expert in thermal dynamics, but it sounds like you will need something that has good insulating properties rather than sound deadening. Perhaps something like silver foil backed foam insulation.

Ralph

Ian Gibson suggested that I consider sticking 10mm Plastazote on the outside.  It comes in various thicknesses and colours.  Good insulator, won't absorb water or oil.

I found details on site efoam.co.uk and will purchase today.

Ian Cornish

On 1/9/2021 at 11:05 AM, ianc said:

My TR4 has a fibreglass gearbox cover without any insulation or covering on either inside or outside.  In winter, it helps keep me warm, but in summer it turns the cabin into a veritable inferno.

As I am in the process of removing the gearbox for surgery at Dr Cox's practice, can members please advise me

(a) what thickness of insulation I could stick to the inside of the cover, and

(b) how far rearwards this can be taken without stopping the cover sitting onto the floor around all its edges. 

I ask (b) because the cover is very tight fit where the bottom front edge of the gear lever's gaiter has to slip inside the cover.  But perhaps it would be a matter of not having insulation on the inside top in that area?

Ian Cornish

I saw this and thought it might be suitable

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Large-Sheet-Car-Van-Insulation-Sound-Deadening-Closed-Cell-Foam-Camper-Boat-GR/264478436338

Peter W

So I think I will go with some sort of sound deadening material like the Wayside product Stuart uses that available in North America along with jute.  The marine covering on the underside of the gearbox tunnel will come later as I want to minimize the use of adhesives at this point.

Simple is better.