Solenoid replacement

Hi 

The o/drive on my CP 6 has packed up and I am suspecting electrics or solenoid. If a new solenoid required is this an expensive job?

I am thinking that if the gearbox has to come our to replace the solenoid I might as well get the gearbox overhauled at the same time.

Any advice would be valued

Thanks

Ernest

No, it's not necessary to get the gearbox and overdrive out. The H frame under the dash must be removed, then remove the gearbox cover. After that, access to the solenoid is easy.

Adjustment of the solenoid push rod needs to be done accurately after the new one has been fitted, follow the instructions in the workshop manual and it's not difficult.

Nigel

Hi Ernest,

I agree, first do some checks without too much work. Easiest is to check the OD relay; on my LHD car this on the lhs inner wing. See if the wire to the solenoid is energised (use the wiring diagram), and take it from there. A better description of what you have noticed is needed for better guidance.

Cheers,

Waldi

As Nigel explained, replacing the solenoid is not a difficult job, although good quality ,   solenoids with the correct operating parameters are relatively expensive. 

If you have an A type overdrive, and assuming the oil level is correct , faulty operation is almost always due to the solenoid malfunctioning, generally caused by a problem with the switch or wiring. I fitted an indicator light on mine connected directly to the solenoid electrical feed so I can check that power is available when it should be.

Thanks all for such helpful advice.

I am thinking that it s an electrical (or solenoid) problem due to the OD working fine, then working only on 3rd and 4th, then intermittent,  then packed up. When I actuate the OD 'leaver/switch' the ammeter registers a load so, given this, I am assuming a possible electrical problem from the OD itself to the power supply.

Best Wishes

Ernest

" I am assuming a possible electrical problem from the OD itself to the power supply."- my electrical problems were so bad I installed the O/D solenoid "power on" light to check the wiring and switch under actual operating conditions.

I think I've fixed all the electrical problems by now but it's still reassuring to see the light on when I switch on the O/D

Your description does not sound like a solenoid problem. It's difficult to envisage a fault with it which would only affect one gear and then slowly affect the others.

Neither does it sound like the interlock switches for the same reason.

Edited by RobH

When I see the word "intermittent" I think electrical, especially Lucas electrical. From memory, 3rd and 4th have the same interlock switch on the selector shafts and  maybe the switch on second went first? Unless I see my solenoid light on I assume any failure of the O/D to activate has an electrical cause.

If the O/D should work in 2nd then its an A type. Maybe Ernest should start by checking the G/B oil level and if that's OK, unscrew the  large  brass plug and check  the  filter and oil for metallic particles.

Ernest has said it's a CP series car, and I thought they are all A type O/D, J type coming in with CR series.

I am wondering if the problem lies with the 2nd gear inhibitor switch or its wiring.

Nigel

2 hours ago, rcreweread said:

I don't think we know if this is an A type or J type installation - it seems every one has assumed its an A type  - perhaps Ernest could clarify

Cheers Rich

Sorry - just noticed Ernest said it was a CP series car at the start so that should mean it's an A type.

Cheers Rich 

Just now, rcreweread said:

Sorry - just noticed Ernest said it was a CP series car at the start so that should mean it's an A type.

Cheers Rich 

I need to put my glasses on as I didn't see Nigel's post either - I think I'll blame Covid and go and take my vitamin D!

I agree with RobH in that it's probably not a solenoid issue - sounds to me more like an internal pressure issue which probably means a rebuild although an oil level check, change and filter clean would be worth doing first.

Ernest - have sent you a PM ( personal message - click on envelope icon in top right hand corner of page)

Cheers Rich

Hi all 

Thanks again for this additional advice - what a brilliant forum!

I have replied seperately to your e.mail Rich, thanks for the offer.

Looks like I should, start with the electrics - There is a record in the car's history of previous electrical issues with the o/d.

Seasonal good wishes to you all.

Ernest

Two faults perhaps?  Faulty 2nd gear interlock switch and also iffy relay?

The relay alone wouldn't just affect 2nd gear as per the symptoms described.

3 hours ago, Ernest said:

Hi all 

Thanks again for this additional advice - what a brilliant forum!

I have replied seperately to your e.mail Rich, thanks for the offer.

Looks like I should, start with the electrics - There is a record in the car's history of previous electrical issues with the o/d.

Seasonal good wishes to you all.

Ernest

Ernest - can't trace any response from you so please check and resend

Cheers Rich