Lower seat belt mountings.

Having received my new seat belt kits from Moss I have been reviewing the mounting instructions. I have reinforcing plates for the belt reel and shoulder strap mounting on the wheel arch but was considering using the inner and outer rear body mounting bolts (one of the 2 outer bolts, and the inner one next to the tunnel) as these attach directly to the chassis, to fix the bottom of the shoulder strap and the buckle stalk. My thinking is that because of the direct attachment to the chassis this would be stronger.

Thoughts anyone?.

Ralph

Give it a try Ralph and see if the anchor points are clear of the seat rails and the geometry works out for smooth operation. The floor is recessed at those locations so it may need a bit of finesse to get everything to sit flat and be secure. I put custom seat belt anchors in when I restored the tub. One on the tunnel and one on the inner sill behind the B post where the floor edge folds up. Even with the anchors at those outboard locations is is very snug with the seat installed.

Stan

Tried the different positions yesterday. The bottom of the lap belt will mount on the outer of the two body mount bolts using an angle bracket supplied with the belt fitting kit, but the inner body mounting bolt is too far away from the tunnel to use for the stalk, the best place for that seems to be right in the corner of the tunnel/heelboard/floor bolted through the tunnel side.

As far as the top mountings go, the guide for the shoulder strap seems to want to be right on the bend of the rear wheelarch otherwise the belt from the reel has to bend over the arch and will rub on the wheel arch trim panel.

All this threw up another problem. Now I have fitted the gearbox tunnel, I cannot slide my non standard seat far enough forward to put in the rear runner bolts, so looks like I am going to have to weld in some captive nuts to the tracks and bolt from underneath.

Seems one job always leads to at least 2 more.

Ralph