centre lock wheel spinners and the right side

in a german forum  I read about the correct use of the centre lock spinners. Some say the spinners with "right side" imprinted belongs to the right wheels of the car and the one with left side imprinted on the left side. Other say the imprinted "right side" or "left side" means the direction to "undo" (also imprinted) the spinner. And they say also that if you use the wheel spinner (and the adapter too)  with the imprinted "right side" on the ride-side wheel you will loosen the wheel sooner or later because the "undo" is the same than the driving direction.

I mus admit that I have never took care about this issue. And I have never lost a wheel due a loose spinner since many years. But I just had an eye on my car and what did I see? Exactly, the spinners with imprinted "right side" are on the cars right side, and the left are at the left.

Do I have to be happy to be alive?

Edited by Casar66
  • Casar66 changed the title to centre lock wheel spinners and the right side

Our local group leader told a tale from many years ago when he was taking a car for its MOT test after a rebuild. He had fitted the spinners on the wrong side (never thought to check)

When the first front wheel fell off after a couple of miles he just thought he had forgotten to tighten it (it missed the bodywork as it fell off and he rolled to a halt on the brake disc.

Shortly afterwards the other front wheel parted company. This time it happened at the top of a long downhill section and he then had to persue the wheel for half a mile, but fortunately it missed all the other cars and ended up in someones garden. It was at this point he realised why the spinners are marked left and right!

Yours are on the right way round

Neil

Edited by Stagpowered

again for my understanging:

correct is...

right-side-spinner for wheels at the cars right side. undo in direction of driving.

left-side-spinner for wheels at the left side. undo direction in direction of driving.

Hi Casar,

the rule is very simple: the nut on the center of a spinning shaft

need a thread which has to be locked in the opposite directon of the spinning direction.

So - wheels on the left side spin anti clockwise, so the shaft and nut on the shaft need a thread to be locked clockwise.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

Yes that one is correct.  Think of the wheel rotating as the car moves forward while the spinner is being held steady. That must tighten the thread.

Think of the wheel rotating as the car moves forward while the spinner is being held steady. That must tighten the thread.

But will it not "untighten"  the thread when the car moves in the same direction like the "undo-arrow"? 

Perhaps my brain is in hibernation-mode already.

I read somewhere that there's a theory that the (very) small radial movement of the wheel on the splines as it rotates (and as the load therefore rotates around the wheel) actually tightens the spinners. Can't say I've noticed it myself. But I've always taken the view that the words "right side" are a clue to which side the spinner should go ;)

My TR-6 has all steel wheels, but my MGB-GT has wire wheels, and the front right wheel as shown.

Cheers ...> Alan

MGB GT Wheel hub 1.JPG

I read somewhere that there's a theory that the (very) small radial movement of the wheel on the splines as it rotates (and as the load therefore rotates around the wheel) actually tightens the spinners.

Let´s believe it. I will never ever understand but faith moves mountains.

The system is the same as on commercial vehicles. On the O/S (right side, drivers side in the UK, passenger side with a LHD) they are left hand threads they tighten anticlockwise and on the N/S (passenger side in the UK, drivers side with a LHD) They are normal thread, they tighten clockwise.

38 minutes ago, Phil Read said:

The system is the same as on commercial vehicles. On the O/S (right side, drivers side in the UK, passenger side with a LHD) they are left hand threads they tighten anticlockwise and on the N/S (passenger side in the UK, drivers side with a LHD) They are normal thread, they tighten clockwise.

Not on Iveco models in the UK since about 2008 I believe. 

Mick Richards

1 hour ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Not on Iveco models in the UK since about 2008 I believe. 

Mick Richards

The handed wheel nuts I think went out with the advent of flanged nuts and longer studs. I believe Volvo trucks had them first.

Stuart.

8 hours ago, Harbottle said:

I thought it depends which way the cars facing:blink:

Of course, it's the opposite way around in the Southern Hemisphere...