1969 TR6pi Royal Blue paint

Hi all,

Your help is needed. I have a mate here in Spain who wants to change the paint from colour red  back to the original which is ROYAL BLUE. I cannot visit him due to  travel restrictions to a different region, Murcia. I live in Alicante

The sample he supplied was not suitable, see below. He has not got a suitable sample to take to the paint shop. as the car is immobile. They have given him a trial pot which is DUPONT REFINISH POWER TINT B3/ B321.  It looks more like Sapphire to me.. 

Bearing in mind he doesn't know other suppliers PPG etc any thoughts on the correct composition, formula etc getting the correct colour. Thank you in anticipation.

Kind Regards,

Dave from Spain

image.png

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-15 at 20.21.27.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-14 at 11.10.27.jpeg

Try ICI 4665 or PPG 13126 or DuPont 8455

Edited by JohnC
1 hour ago, astontr6 said:

To my knowledge  production TR's were painted with 3M's  paint and not Dupont paint?? I am not certain that Dupont were an approved supplier to BL. I know that Dupont is a major supplier to the US car industry.

Bruce.

Thanks Bruce.

Problem is we do not get the  same paint factors here in Spain as you do in the UK.

34 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Try ICI 4665 or PPG 13126 or DuPont 8455

Thanks John,

he is going back to the DuPont paint factors tomorrow. 

.He did send me another photo of in the sun. don't know where the other was taken. Such a variation from the other photo . This one does look very near.

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-16 at 12.59.13.jpeg

I picked up an original paint Royal Blue TR250 about six months ago.  It needs restoration (missing floors and trunk), alot of restoration, but the Royal Blue paint has done something pretty amazing to the people who have seen it.   One (some?) of the original pigment has oxidized evenly over the entire car giving it a very metallic purple "shine".  It doesn't wash or wipe off...it could be polished off, but it would take some effort   It really stops people-its quite fetching....to the point where universally, instead of saying "when are you going to restore the car" its "when you restore it don't paint it!".

It got me thinking.....Royal Blue....back in "the Roman day"  purple was considered the royal color, so thinking that the Royal part of the blue had purple tint added.   I have seen 2 other Royal Blue cars in my area.  One, a completely original TR4a that has a hint of the purple sheen coming thru.   The other, an older repaint back in the 70's does not.   Same shade of dark blue in both, or at least similar enough to call them a match.

Here's someone who's very proud of their paint (should be it looks GREAT), but I'm thinking its just dark blue, not a royal one....

Paint code>>>>>>>>>Dark blue : TR5 & TR250 Forum : Triumph Experience Car Forums : The Triumph Experience

So best of luck with the tracking down of the paint.   Not sure its just a blue I'll be chasing when I get to the 250 (5 other cars in front of it).

Ive been through this myself going from white to Blue..First colour looked good on a sample sheet but too mauve so we took half the red out a got what is a lovely deep blue, the 1st pic is the orginal swatch far left, 2nd pic is too mauve, 3rd pic after we had taken half the red out to get a really deep blue..

5AF9D734-7B29-443D-8B66-DB1B1534CE3F_1_105_c.jpeg

24F27FD6-EEB5-40D7-93D4-631B3D2A6354_1_105_c.jpeg

94B2FEF1-2F20-424B-96E6-D463137CCBAA_1_105_c.jpeg

B236E311-758D-4DD9-B488-AB23D37FE7A6_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by Greenman
16 hours ago, YankeeTR5 said:

It got me thinking.....Royal Blue....back in "the Roman day"  purple was considered the royal color, so thinking that the Royal part of the blue had purple tint added.   I have seen 2 other Royal Blue cars in my area.  One, a completely original TR4a that has a hint of the purple sheen coming thru.   The other, an older repaint back in the 70's does not.   Same shade of dark blue in both, or at least similar enough to call them a match.

Not sure if it is urban myth but the Royal Blue name came about in an odd way. Clearly Code 56 is closer to a Navy Blue. Royal Blue is much lighter.

Back in 1964 Prince Charles wanted a darker blue than what was being offered on the TR4. So they made it for him and called it Royal Blue (Code 56).

The purple hue that comes through with age gets quite confusing as owners try to get aerosol cans of that colour and are disappointed when it comes out as

Code 56 Royal Blue.  You can't buy the purple hue Royal Blue as standard

Looking at the two blues above - both look good but I think the darker colour edges it. It would go nice with red (Matador) roof.

Roger

Been through this a number of times now as Ive painted a fair few royal blue cars including my own. A lot of people had remarked that they liked the colour of mine when it was painted back in the early nineties, it was done with a local motor factors mixed paint supposedly as Royal Blue code 56 and the next car I painted in it used the same factor supplied paint and it was a good match but that factor closed down and the next lot I bought was very purple and not what was ordered, turns out thats what code 56 is and what mine and the other car was painted with was Royal Blue no code. Having talked to Ken of Ken and Lyn paints a few times about this we have established a mix for a colour match for mine using an Aston colour minus the white and its now known with him as "My colour mix Royal Blue" its much darker and doesnt have the purple tinge to it. So be aware when trying to match this colour.

Stuart.

photo1851.jpg

Edited by stuart
14 minutes ago, qkingston said:

Hi Stuart, that's the colour I plan to do my 4a, so if I quote that to Ken & Lyn they will know what it is?

Seasons greetings

David

He will yes.

Stuart.

2 hours ago, cord said:

Stuart, I seem to remember the grief you got from the garage owner on that day for taking the photo?

Dan

Ha ha yes he moaned like mad as he thought I was taking trade away from his postcards of the place!

Stuart.

Thank you all for your input.

Kind Regards,

Dave from Sunny Spain