Windscreen Wiper parking

When my wipers are turned off after use they self park but always give a kick back up the screen. I tried turning the silver cap to no avail so presume I need to change the position of the large plastic drive wheel on the motor drive. Any idea how i do this please or any other solution.

thanks

Hi Allan,

which motor are you using.

The standard (to the 4A) is the Lucas DR3 two speed motor.  The cap on the top should allow you to set the final stop position.

However I believe there are other variations that have that kick to get it to the correct parked place (not too sure about that)

Have you got the model number of your motor.

Use the search facility to find one of AlanT's threads about the motor - everything is there.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Hi Roger,m

It is the standard DR3 that i bought at Lincoln a couple of years ago  from the man with the trailer seller Alternators, starter motors etc. I have tried using the search for Alan T's articles and I have his excellent article on wiring the motor which is fine. It is the 'kick' that is the problem. Turning cap doesn't seem to affect that - have tried!

Allan

Hi Alllan,

there are different DR3 motors and some do that kick back (I think).  How many wires have you got going into the motor 

There should be three - Green(+12V)  Green/Red  (slow to earth)  Green/Brown(Fast to earth)

There is also a black wore to the body.

75311                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  75313

Haven't a clue what these all do but are variants on the same motor 

Roger

Interesting. I thought they had to park in fast mode? I have the correct three colour coded cables coming out of the motor and think I have wired as per Alan T's article both on the switch & motor. Everything works as it should other than the kick back.

I cant see a number on the motor Roger just the three wires coming out. Where would I find the number & does it matter??

thanks,

Allan

Hi Allan,

I think the kick back on parking is a feature of a motor with 6 wires..

'If' the motor tried to park at the faster speed the problem you may get is for the internal earth wiper to run past the gap in the parking track inside the top hat on the motor. This would allow the motor to continue for another cycle. It may continue ad infinitum or longer.

The slower speed would reduce/remove this issue.

Have you had a look at the earthing track and is it all OK.

Just to clarify - when you select park - the wiper continues to what you think is the park position. It then stops. And then it jerks on a bit. This that right

Roger

Hello Allan

Just found a series of 4 videos on youtube about wiper motors that might be useful. Here is the thing to search for on youtube

Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III Wiper Motor Repair Part 1 of 4

I tried pasting the link but didn't want to work. 

I don't think kick back should happen at all but don't know how to fix it. 

Keith

A bit of tautology me thinks.

thanks Keith, I will look at that later.

When I talked about a kick that might be misleading. Basically it just  carries on too far so starts to come back up the screen. I attach a photo which shows that at park the peg on the drive wheel is nowhere near its furthest point of travel but turning the cap does not seem to affect this. 

wiper Box.jpg

Yep,

Had to take this off to get the drive arm off. The self park works ok & stops - just in the wrong place and turning the cap makes no difference unless i turn it so far it doesn't stop at all!

Was thinking I need to remove the drive wheel, turn it to furthest point & re-insert. what do you think?

10 minutes ago, gloide69 said:

Is it possible for the driven nylon gear and the plate with the drive peg can be assembled 180deg out?

That's a thought. However the top hat is infinitely adjustable. So it doesn;t really matter where the gear is.

But what is causing the 

2 hours ago, Allan Westbury said:

Yep,

Had to take this off to get the drive arm off. The self park works ok & stops - just in the wrong place and turning the cap makes no difference unless i turn it so far it doesn't stop at all!

Was thinking I need to remove the drive wheel, turn it to furthest point & re-insert. what do you think?

Hi Allan,

have you tried removing the blades - then allowing the motor to park - and then refit the blades where you want them.

Roger

Hi Roger,

Having studied it with the blades & wire drive disconnected the problem was caused by the motor running on and then restarting as it gets to the end of the break in the brass contact plate.  I  have re-adjusted with the drive connected & it parks ok but sometimes runs on. Cannot try with the blades yet as no windscreen fitted. Hopefully when the blades are in contact with the screen the resistance will stop the run on.

We will see!

thanks for your help for now.

Allan