Recovering TR5 centre steering wheel pad

2 hours ago, billmahy said:

Has anyone found a liquid that can melt/weld the plastic splits together?

I've tried acetone and EMA Plastic Weld Cement, but neither actually melts the plastic. The EMA product does soften it though.

Regards Bill

Have you tried methyl ethyl ketone (MEK)? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHL-500ml-pure-Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone-MEK-Butanone-/272038690495

Probably is a component of the liquid polystyrene cement used in plastic kit modelling. 

https://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Adhesives/Item/Plastic-Weld-Solvent-57ml/ITM5060

Or maybe plumbers Flomasta solvent weld for pipework. 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-pipe-weld-cement-250ml/6368x

What about the expanded foam beneath the black plastic skin. - it will eat that.

Peter W

Thanks Peter - I haven't tried MEK yet (also known as Butanone) but apparently Acetone is a solvent to more plastics than MEK: https://ecolink.com/info/differences-between-mek-and-acetone/

I've tried the Plastic weld in your second link, but that doesn't actually melt the plastic. That is Methylene Chloride, containing Dichloromethane.

I've also thought about the pipe weld cement, but that's for a different type of plastic and would leave an additional layer rather than melt the original material. That is also Butanone with Epoxy Resin.

Perhaps I need to find out what the original material is (maybe from the re-manufacturers) - unless anyone has a better idea?

• 5 months later...

Does anybody know of a UK  source for the acorn nuts and the retaining plates that fits underneath them, that hold the centre pad to the wheel spokes ?

ATB Graham 

16 hours ago, PGB BME said:

Does anyone know the specification for the acorn lock nut which holds the centre pad to the wheel I know there iare the plates as well

Phil

Phil I know Marko posted a link for a supplier of the correct type of Acorn nuts a while back but cant find it now, but the link was for a US supplier, hence my question above. As for the 'plates' I think they are called "square, lipped washers" but I wasn't able to find a supplier that produced anything smaller than 8MM! 

ATB Graham 

20 minutes ago, PGB BME said:

Yes they won’t ship so I looked on eBay and bought 6.

Phil

Where did you find them on Ebay?

Stuart.

15 hours ago, PGB BME said:

Stuart

Just typed them in on eBay the seller had 2 packets of 3 as 1 item, that’s all he had.

Phil

Phil just occurred to me that you might find the square”lipped” washers in some electrical/Telecom  equipment, from memory they used similar washers on the terminals to force the installer to fit the wires at 12/6 or 9/3 on some equipment, just had a flashback to my apprenticeship where I had to tell the boss that I had lost one !

ATB Graham 

FWIW the lipped washers are tapered to sit parallel with the spokes.

Tim

On 2/7/2022 at 8:55 AM, openroad said:

Thankyou Phil, 

Thats a quick price Hike. Do they look good and fit  ?

Cheers,  Conrad. 

I bought one but I'm sending it back.  Doesn't fit well, centre boss is too deep and some cosmetic moulding marks. Decided I wasn't going to rework it for that much money. I would have exchanged it if it fitted properly.

On 2/20/2022 at 1:35 PM, billmahy said:

I bought one but I'm sending it back.  Doesn't fit well, centre boss is too deep and some cosmetic moulding marks. Decided I wasn't going to rework it for that much money. I would have exchanged it if it fitted properly.

Yes sent mine back , disappointing