Recovering TR5 centre steering wheel pad

The moulded vinyl for the centre used to be available from TRF in the states, the foam etc has to be sorted independently. I paid $81 for the part and $68 for delivery, 2 years ago. Quite a lot of money, I did find one in the UK but asking price was more than from the states. The quality was very good.

Good luck,

Tim

IMG_1454s.thumb.JPG.4adbc6ddbfb1fb741f0126edb2b94100.JPGIMG_6392s.thumb.JPG.d72e356097183b1965a6167c771459eb.JPGIMG_3098s.thumb.JPG.8bf8b104b8c2669901a59440680625e2.JPG

Tim

thanks for the reply

I think I’ve seen the price from TRF at £119 plus postage but I can’t find it now

Just wondered if it’s possible to recover yourself? I suppose there’s not huge numbers to encourage someone to remanufacture. Wonder what cost say 3D printing would cost?

Phil

TRF's cover is a bargain if you must have original ( I must ). One of mine is 18 years old, the other 11 and neither shows any sign of age beyond a shiny patina where the hands rub them after many years and miles of use. We know the originals didn't last like that. 

I was able to strip the old vinyl off and save enough of the foam underneath to re-use them, filling in gaps with urethane foam in an aerosol can sold for insulating purposes. 

The real job is to recover the rim with leather; an upholsterer made the cover for mine and perforated the edges with his sewing machine. 3-4 hours of toil and voila.

Tom

IMA 68 TR ALBUM COMPLETE 009.jpg

1 hour ago, PGB BME said:

Tom 

Wheel leather is fine really good nick it’s just the splits in the centre pad, the splits arent huge. Maybe I could glue them?

Hi is this firm any good               

Should the Boss and spokes on a 5 steering wheel be matt of gloss ? what paint is left on mine looks gloss but not sure if its been 'got at' in the past 

Hi Phil, the chap in the video did a good job by the looks of it.

I had mine done by Hukes down south. If that helps.

Cheers Conrad. 

29 minutes ago, Pridewood said:

Hello Graham,

Have a look at this wheel. It is a nos one.

Best regards

PICT0936.JPG

Wow! 

How much would that fetch on E-Bay?

Just had a reply from the Roadster factory the covers are now OOS with no date for replenishment. 

17 hours ago, PGB BME said:

Tom /Dave IOW thanks for the reply.

Graham you have done better than I in getting a response from the RF sent two emails not a reply as of yet , thanks for posting though

Phil

Yes rather foolishly I had just 'stripped' my centre pad and ordered the spray foam to repair my pad in anticipation of buying a cover from them, now I'm in a worst position than I was ! oh well first world problems .........:(

20 hours ago, Pridewood said:

Hello Graham,

Have a look at this wheel. It is a nos one.

Best regards

PICT0936.JPG

That's just perfect John, 

Very few like that one about, dig deep chaps !

Conrad.

9 hours ago, PGB BME said:

Graham

ive email the company in the you tube video above for an approval cost for recovering the centre pad

if I get a reply I’ll let you know

Phil

Thanks Phil 

Just been in touch with Myrtle Ltd the guy in the video posted above. They only do a solid replacement centre pad, hard plastic with fixings as per original and a “vinyl” texture.

Their  uploading details on their website in the next couple of weeks I’ll wait to view the website. 

quoted £120 plus vat & carriage

Phil

37 minutes ago, PGB BME said:

Just been in touch with Myrtle Ltd the guy in the video posted above. They only do a solid replacement centre pad, hard plastic with fixings as per original and a “vinyl” texture.

Their  uploading details on their website in the next couple of weeks I’ll wait to view the website. 

quoted £120 plus vat & carriage

Phil

Thanks Phil think I will put one of those on the wish list post Christmas but will wait to let you get your order in first 

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, PGB BME said:

Contacted Myrtle LTD again they have the centre pads available now, not updated their website yet though, I’m trying to get a price out of them at the moment.

Phil

Thanks Phil I emailed them after Christmas never got a reply so let us know how you get on 

• 4 months later...