1961 Tr4 front suspension too hard

Hi Mates

Other problems from my first test run, I think the front suspension is too hard, I'm about 75 Kgs and can only press  the wind/mudguard each side down about 5 mm 1/4" ( even that might be  tyre movement) first thought the bottom/outer whish-bone bushes were too tight ( the castlated nuts) they were, slackened them off a bit ,  at the time I thought it was better?, the car drove/ steered  well, so how much should I be able to press down each side to get a rough guide and could some of the suspension parts be on the wrong side , thanks for the ongoing help--Barry

I don't think there's a "press down" threshold (that's funny). New suspension are often a bit weird until everything falls into place, drive it onto potholes and speed breakers and make sure everything is lubricated. Now What springs specs to you have?

Hi Barry,

hopefully it is the spring resistance you are trying to overcome when bouncing up and down on the wing.

The original springs are about 390lbs/inch so you 75Kg may move it something less than 1/2" if the system was freely suspended.

When the wing goes down the wheel/tyre wants to go outwards - it can't if stationary  -  so your 1/2" becomes a little less.

Are you sure that top ball joint, TRunnion, wishbones are all free(ish) to move?

If the front ed is too soft then cornering at and decent speed can be interesting.  Take it for a good run ad see what it does.

As Geko states -  it will settle down.

Roger

Hi all

To my mind and experience it sounds like you have fitted stiff fast road / race type spring ratings, but also this might be a matter of the springs being compressed a little too much by spacers or polybushes etc so that they are not actually compressing that much in use - So very hard - have you got short springs and alloy spacers fitted ?  in the case of bushes they will settle a bit for sure but the spring and solid spacer situation won’t change much. You may need to change them.

It may also be that the shock absorber settings might be too hard on rebound (particularly). I deliberately run my own TR4 relatively stiffly sprung at the front (410 lbs) and baggy at the back (165 to 170lbs) and it handles beautifully. Softly sprung but stiffly damped at both ends with 9/16th ARB at the front only. Fatter bars just gave me more understeer as I turned in.

There are a couple of other things to consider in terms of what I would call hard ride and feedback, being solid rack mounts and a stiff / thick anti roll bar. Both give more ‘bang / crash’ at the front and the perception of a hard ride. It’s worth disconnecting the ARB and seeing how things change, especially as you turn the car in on a sharp corner.

regards

Tony