Looks like it could be a bit of a beast!

I can understand the 4.1 diff on a 4 pot, especially if 1st gear is a bit tall. Back in the early 1990s I fitted a Dolomite sprint engine to my TR6 (I had fitted the 6 engine to my PI saloon, long story).

The Sprint engine had equal performance to the PI unit, and did 40mpg on a run but was definitely struggling with hill starts with the 3.45 diff and 15 inch wheels. I swapped the Sprint 2.99 1st gear for a big saloon 3.3 1st gear which helped. I left it like that when it went back in the Sprint.

It handled a lot better than the straight six as well, less weight, further back and lower down. I still have the tubular manifold I built for it at the back of the shed, but I can't see it ever being used again.

I fitted the carb straight six from my TR250 to the TR6 before I sold it. I actually sold the Sprint in 1994 to buy the TR250 I still own.

Neil

PS, just googled T5 gear ratios, standard Cosworth 1st is 2.915, even taller than the Sprint

Edited by Stagpowered
added a bit

Hello There.

If you want more horse power speak to Mark at Grove garage Romford Essex. One or the cossi boys that tuned them for Fords during their N series times used to work there before he died and the garage is still big in keeping them running. They have the knowledge to take that engine to 500 hp +. But do not recommend it for the road.

mike797

16 hours ago, mike797 said:

Hello There.

If you want more horse power speak to Mark at Grove garage Romford Essex. One or the cossi boys that tuned them for Fords during their N series times used to work there before he died and the garage is still big in keeping them running. They have the knowledge to take that engine to 500 hp +. But do not recommend it for the road.

mike797

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for the suggestion.

I will be honest, I took the car out yesterday for the first time since collection and on my own.  It was the best day weather wise forecast for this week, but the roads were still a little damp.  It was spinning the rear wheels with ease in 3rd gear before full boost was reached.  I have never driven a car,  where I could not concentrate on anything else but the road ahead, in other words, it was not advisable to look at the tacho.  The car makes so much power and torque from idle, that it pulls along with ease, it has so much guts. 

Plan is to get it serviced, including cambelt, etc, and then take it for a power run, so to get a starting point.  I think at circa 350bhp, complete with GRP panels, and a 4:1 CWP, it is pretty energetic, and it be quite frank, a handful. Maybe next summer when it's dry I will try a bit more turbo boost pressure.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

**Update**

Despite the snow yesterday, which is not ideal in a 300bhp TR6, I took it for a detailed service.  

Jobs on the list as follows:-

1. Cambelt and tensioner.

2. Thermostat and gasket.

3. Fresh anti-freeze and Millers Extra cool additive.

4. Set of plugs.

5. Fanbelt.

6. Rotor arm and distributor cap were new a few thousand miles ago.

Car requires new fuel filter and rear wheel cylinders and shoes, so that will be stage to,  Also got the new number plates made up and new Cosumph & injection badge.

Here are a few pictures.

Cheers.

RF7.jpg

RF6.jpg

RF5.jpg

RF4.jpg

RF3.jpg

RF2.jpg

RF1.jpg

7. Change rear number plate from legal motorbike size to car legal size!

8. Change front number plate from illegal motorbike size to car legal size!

I wouldn't want to give plod any reason to stop me.......................

I'm not sure if I'd be happy using what appears to be a single post lift relying on 4 bolts in tension into concrete either!!!!!

Regards

Bill 

That is utterly ridiculous - in a good way :D. And yes, the badge is a great touch.

John

On 12/30/2020 at 6:11 PM, Bill944T said:

7. Change rear number plate from legal motorbike size to car legal size!

8. Change front number plate from illegal motorbike size to car legal size!

I wouldn't want to give plod any reason to stop me.......................

I'm not sure if I'd be happy using what appears to be a single post lift relying on 4 bolts in tension into concrete either!!!!!

Regards

Bill 

Hi Bill,

Many thanks for your observation.

I'd like to clarify if I may ?

The car is staged on a two-post ramp, that is made by Bradbury, regarded as one of the best in the industry. It is a 3T, 2-post ramp (not the most flattering picture, I know), & specifically dimensioned for Triumph models in this instance.

Furthermore, the workshop floor is made up of 18" of steel reinforced concrete, designed to carrying 100T + cranes and heavy plant machinery.

Happy New Year & stay negative.

Cheers.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...