Trunnion fitting

Try this:

"

The right hand trunnion and vertical link is right hand threaded (like a normal bolt), the left hand trunnion is left hand threaded (reversed threaded). When properly installed on the car, each trunnion will move up on the vertical link when rotated toward the front of the car.

"

I don`t want to start the "oil" or "grease" debate again, but whilst we are talking trunnions.......... I have my car up on blocks at present and thought about topping up the trunnions. I was then reminded that years ago I "blew" the bottom caps off whilst refilling and had to epoxy them back in, they have been fine since.

So what's the secret to refill without over-pressurizing, and where do you look to see when its full?

Thanks, Colin.

My thoughts:

RH thread on the right side and LH thread on the left side is "commonly" correct and means:

turning the steering wheel lowers one side of the car and lifts the other the same moment - each side only a minimum!

This in my opinion is not because of driving issues but because of the forces on the steering wheel.

With a RH thread on both sides the forces on the steering wheel would be lower turning to the right and obviously stronger turning to the left side.

I expect it makes no difference at all to change LH and RH trunnion as long you use one RH on one side and one LH on the other.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
18 minutes ago, c.hydes said:

I don`t want to start the "oil" or "grease" debate again, but whilst we are talking trunnions.......... I have my car up on blocks at present and thought about topping up the trunnions. I was then reminded that years ago I "blew" the bottom caps off whilst refilling and had to epoxy them back in, they have been fine since.

So what's the secret to refill without over-pressurizing, and where do you look to see when its full?

Thanks, Colin.

Hi Colin,

when you pump the grease in there will be a slight pressure increase to get it through the grease paths.

If the grease path is blocked with old grease then you may over pressurise something (as you previously did) In this case you need to disassemble the trunnion and clean out the old grease.

Normally if you grease every year the new grease will force the old grease out of the top of the trunnion.- yoou will see this coming out from under the upper seal.

Be careful not to get it on the brake disc.

Roger

He heared some (in my opinion) funny rules about what to oil and what to grease...

My rule is very simple: oil is the best, but if you can't guarantee the oil says in you use grease.

Examples:

In the old days of motoring they used grease in gearboxes, with better seals oil was common.

Why do we use grease in wheel bearings and not oil?

My trunnions are sealed so I use oil but grease would also do the job.

This is no reason for any further discussion.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
22 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Colin,

when you pump the grease in there will be a slight pressure increase to get it through the grease paths.

If the grease path is blocked with old grease then you may over pressurise something (as you previously did) In this case you need to disassemble the trunnion and clean out the old grease.

Normally if you grease every year the new grease will force the old grease out of the top of the trunnion.- yoou will see this coming out from under the upper seal.

Be careful not to get it on the brake disc.

Roger

Ummmmm, thanks Roger, sounds like a big job. I`ll study the brown bible to see what's involved?

Cheers Colin.

Edit:

the lh/rh thread doesn't matter,

but the vertical link from the 4A to the 6 is angled backwards,

so the trunnions are not interchangeable.

There is only one way they fits.

Edited by Z320

6 hours ago, c.hydes said:

...years ago I "blew" the bottom caps off whilst refilling...

To seal the bottom disc in place you can run a bead of solder around the joint with the the trunion.

Problem with a used trunion is that it needs to be cleaned of all old oil/grease otherwise the solder won't flow.

Even if it looks clean you may find that as you heat it there will be some oil that seeps through the joint. But it's worth a try.

Charlie