Tr4a bonnet letters

Hi All,

Looking for some assistance, i have had a new bonnet fitted after a little bash back in June and the car has been returned looking fabulous.  However, the body shop have not refitted the letters "TRIUMPH" on the bonnet, because the holes are no longer drilled (Rimmer Bross), and they are pushing back on rectifying this.

I wonder if anyone has a template to ensure the holes are correctly spaced/aligned, or if anyone has done this and can give me some guidance?

Thanks in advance

picture attached for reference

Gordon

without.jpg

Drilled holes is a pain for clipping the letters and finding the correct plastic and metal inserts which are always too big or too small. Many give up the inserts and resort to Sikaflex to prevent the letters from wobbling. I wouldn't be fussy about it and have the letters stuck with high quality outdoor double face tape. If I were the body shop I would do the same!

On 12/11/2020 at 3:35 PM, Lockjack said:

Hi All,

Looking for some assistance, i have had a new bonnet fitted after a little bash back in June and the car has been returned looking fabulous.  However, the body shop have not refitted the letters "TRIUMPH" on the bonnet, because the holes are no longer drilled (Rimmer Bross), and they are pushing back on rectifying this.

I wonder if anyone has a template to ensure the holes are correctly spaced/aligned, or if anyone has done this and can give me some guidance?

Thanks in advance

picture attached for reference

Gordon

without.jpg

Hi Gordon,

I'll TRy and get to the TR4 later today and make a template for you

Roger

• 2 months later...

Folks, what is the correct method to attach the bonnet letters? 

Moss UK lists this type:

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/spire-nut-rear-moulding-lug-to-a-post-pfs104.html?assoc=116786

Moss US lists this type (with this type wouldn’t the holes in the bonnet have be enlarged enough to push these in?)

https://mossmotors.com/blind-fix-set-for-letters?assoc=41013

thanks 

Jim

Hi Jim,

using the UK clips can be awkward as the tails of the letters are covered by the front box section.

I have used the  collars  but mine were plastic.   If anything the holes are opened a very very small amount

Roger 

• 1 year later...
On 12/14/2020 at 12:00 PM, RogerH said:

Hi Gordon,

I'll TRy and get to the TR4 later today and make a template for you

Roger

Hi Roger, sorry for such a late response. did you manage to get a template for this?  I have to return the car to the paint shop and thinking it would be a good chance to get it sorted at same time. thx in advance Gordon

Hi Gordon,

I have made the template and it aligns very nicely.

A couple of tips

1 - pay attention to what Rob  says above. Not sure how precise it needs be 

2 - use the top line of the template to position where the letter top spigot goes. DO NOT drill the lower holes until you are happy they are vertical.

3 - the centreline of the 'U' coincides with the centreline of the TR4 badge.  If you have a TR4A then measure between the sides of the bonnet.

The holes in the bonnet are 1/8"

If you PM you address I'll get it off to you.

Roger

On 6/10/2022 at 12:52 PM, RogerH said:

Hi Gordon,

I'm usually quite prompt when doing things. Some times there may be a bit of a delay  but 18 months is taking the micky.

I will look into this immediately after lunch today.

Roger

thanks Roger, much appreciated

On 6/15/2022 at 5:09 PM, RogerH said:

Hi Gordon,

PM me your address  so I can send the template to you.

Roger

Roger. Arrived this morning you are amazing. Postage heavy we must find a way of reimbursing you. Definitely worth a beer or three. 

FYI I’m going to give this the garage who painted the car (needs a blemish removed) so be a while before done but thank you so much.