PI Air Plenum

Is there a trick to fitting the PI air plenum. I have just had it off to check the exhaust flange gasket and it took me an hour to refit it. It has always been a nuisance to get on securely as lining up the hoses can be a challenge.

The hoses are quite old and stiff but I'm wondering if their is a technique to make it easier. Fit the  hoses to the plenum first, to the manifold first or whatever.

The flange gasket was knackered but 3 of the four bolts cannot be moved with my tool set and strength so off to the local Triumph man to replace it for me. The 4th bolt was loose (partially stripped thread) so I put a longer bolt in and put a nut on top.

Hi John, Do you mean the cylindrical air plenum with six curved connections to the three throttle bodies, or the collection of throttle bodies? Or something else?

John

On 12/12/2020 at 12:03 AM, JohnC said:

Hi John, Do you mean the cylindrical air plenum with six curved connections to the three throttle bodies, or the collection of throttle bodies? Or something else?

John

Yes John, the cylindrical plenum with the 6 rubber hoses to the throttle bodies. The hoses on mine are quite old and hard but I don't think that is why I struggle to get them lined up. I have them loose on the plenum and line them up to the throttle bodies, but one or two won't line up every time. Real hit and miss.

13 hours ago, CP26309 said:

Make sure the hoses are clean inside, and that you don't over tighten the hose clips, you have to get the pressure just right!

My problem is getting them lined up to slide them onto the throttle bodies. Once on they are ok but getting them on is a pain.

Hi John,

Think I started at the bottom edge, meaning plenum tilded down a bit, and the wiggeled the plemum towards the TB’s. If one is not willing it may help to rotate it “axially” a bit. You could use some vaseline on the four inner tubes.

Waldi

New, more flexible runners would help.   "SuperPro" products might stay flexible longer, but they are £80 a set!    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR6-PI-Plenum-to-Manifold-Joiner-Kit-SuperPro-Poly-/332464925063?redirect=mobile

4 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

New, more flexible runners would help.   "SuperPro" products might stay flexible longer, but they are £80 a set!    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR6-PI-Plenum-to-Manifold-Joiner-Kit-SuperPro-Poly-/332464925063?redirect=mobile

Thanks John. I note that they are 13pds each from Moss so 80pds is good.

12 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

I looked at a set of those and was not impressed with the quality of molding compared  to their usual products?

Bruce.

Hi All

Odd one this, is it a common problem and are those poly versions pretty flexible to make them easier to fit?

The reason i say odd and ask is that my plenum connectors are the originals i'm pretty sure and are very hard but they fit no problem at all.

As my rebuild has only recently got to 95% finished I've taken them on and off loads of times over the last year or so and never even thought about it being a difficult job.

Is it i have an odd set thats eqasy to fit or are the odd ones the difficult ones?

Cheers    Keith

Mine are no problem either. They've gone pretty hard as well (assuming they were flexible in the first place).

J

21 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

What was the problem, Bruce?

Blow holes, pits and a lot of flash, that quality + price would not have got out the door of the company that I worked for in the 1970's. I have assumed that they are made by Super Pro?

Bruce.

An assumption!  All the SuprPro products I've see - all bushes etc - have been smooth and well finished.

SuperPro don't list plenum rubbers among their TR6 products: https://www.superproeurope.com/products.cfm?vehicleid=3885

John