Ho No - Planets Colliding

Stupid boy

Interesting stuff Roger. On a similar theme - In fact, not at all! - few years ago a Chinese shipping company appeared called ‘Titan’ and the fleet of ships were named ‘Titan Jupiter’, ‘Saturn’ etc you get the picture....

However, we used to giggle and giggle when "Titan Uranus.. Titan Uranus" used to come across the airwaves.. Serious message and all we could ever do was sniggB)er 

Thank you Roger for the reminder.  I read about this in a mag when I bought my new telescope a few weeks ago and forgot to put the event in my diary.  All that is now needed is a clear sky - something that we haven't had for a long while now. . . .

3 minutes ago, RogerH said:

I was thinking of hiring the Aracebo radio telescope to break through our cloud layer - bu99er

Roger

You`ll struggle to do that Roger as its broken! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arecibo_Observatory

Stuart.

The thin crescent of a near New Moon may be a guide.    The Conjuncting planets should be about a Moon's width to the right, up or down, depending on the date, as the Moon is moving past them in our sky.

image.png.bf739c76818504632f54d0d527e342d0.png

Currently they are VERY close to the horizon so atmospheric distortion is unhelpful,  however and fortunately right now the high cloud did not intrude too much, but there is a low band of thick cloud that offers just an occasional glimpse from the back garden.  Managed to see the pair of them plus a couple of moons, don't know which.  My telescope doesn't show the Saturn rings but I guess they are near vertical from Earth at the moment (intuitively, that sounds 90 deg wrong).

My late uncle was proud to have seen Halley's Comet, twice, in 1910 and 1986.     Not many can say that, with visits 76 years apart.

But Great Conjunctions happen every 20 years - it's just that in this one they are especially close in our view.   The next is in April  2040.

So, Long Life, Roger!

Hi Dan,

I am only a little bit jealous. It was raining and cloudy last night in West London

The previous night was clear but they were still a thumb apart.

1 hour ago, Hamish said:

Did You sneak up behind that elephant to get him in shot Dan?

:lol:

Roger