Overdrive engages at low revs but not high

Hi Everybody

Got a problems with my overdrive: I have had it apart and back together with a pressure valve showing 400 lbs pressure - filled it up with standard EP80/90 oil (which I recently checked is full at the gearbox side plug)

When I drive along and use the O/D as a fifth gear I change up into 4th overdrive and it cluncks into drive and the rev counter goes down as it should , it will then stay in overdrive up to the legal limit and...:- but if I am in a hurry and I run the engine up to 3-4K revs and switch the O/D on - nothing happens until i stop accelerating then it will usually engage.

I would appreciate opinions - like does running EP 80/90 make any difference? I have used it without this problem for years.

Would adjusting the switch (actuated by the solenoid) help?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Regards

MichaelH

Different O/D unit, but the D type on my GT6 behaves the same way. Backing off the accelerator helps get it to engage,  though I feel that shouldn't be necessary. 

Looking forward to others input here.

Nigel

EP 80W90 is probably not the ideal oil to use, a gearbox oil like Penrite GB40 etc would be better, also just a thought at higher revs the oil is more likely to be foaming, which would reduce the pressure available. Finally, is the oil level correct ?

Bob.

Hi MIchael,

you may need to do a bit of chop and change investigation.

If it was purely acceleration doing the dirty deed then it may be a dodgy wire connection connecting to the GB - but it is not.

EP80/90 GL4  oil was recommended by ST (I'm sure in an attempt to reduce oil leaks - didn;t work).

I'm with Bob in using a 40 grade gear box oil (it's designed for the job)

Make sure your EP80/90 IS GL4

Thicker oils may hold air bubbles and these could be generated by the higher revs - why not change to something like Penrite GB40 and see what happens.

It may also be the OD selector position.

Even with the rigging arm in the correct place it may not be opening the valve enough to allow as much oil in as the pump desires - and so it's output fails.

All stabs in the dark but it's a start.

Roger

I think Roger may have put his finger on it.  When accelerating harder, the gear selector shaft can be pushed slightly more one way or the other, and this might be sufficient to release the contact in the selector switch on the top of the gearbox.  Or, selector switch may have become loose - that could create this sort of problem. 

Make sure that the two switches have not become loose, and check the operation of each as described in the Workshop Manual.

If working correctly, overdrive should engage rapidly under full acceleration in any gear.  In fact, to avoid jarring the transmission, always engage overdrive with right foot hard down, and open throttle slightly when disengaging.

Ian Cornish

Edited by ianc

Thank you: got a little list to try

Its the tedium of taking the seats and H piece  out and getting to the box that really puts me off starting but I know that it won't happen until I do!

The garage being cold doesn't help!

Just seen Nigel's comment: I have always gone to Overdrive Repairs Services in Shefffield where I have to say they have been very helpful especially as I rebuild Overdrives myself. They happily do significant bits for me, friendly and give me advice derived from their wealth of experience.

The sensible thing would be to ring them

Michael

Edited by MichaelH

Spoke to James at ORS who said it sounds like the clutch is slipping so check the pressure when running and engaged and if the pressure is 400lbs then it is clutch slip and needs a new cone

With the combined advice from the forum and ORS I know what I need to do

It is a great service! and we are very fortunate to have it

Happy Christmas to all our Readers

Michael

2 hours ago, MichaelH said:

Thank you: got a little list to try

Its the tedium of taking the seats and H piece  out and getting to the box that really puts me off starting but I know that it won't happen until I do!

The garage being cold doesn't help!

Just seen Nigel's comment: I have always gone to Overdrive Repairs Services in Shefffield where I have to say they have been very helpful especially as I rebuild Overdrives myself. They happily do significant bits for me, friendly and give me advice derived from their wealth of experience.

The sensible thing would be to ring them

Michael

I'm using Overdrive Spares in Rugby as they also have a strong reputation and they're only half an hour from home. I will still ask them the question about reluctant O/D engagement, though it seems we have an answer from ORS.

Nigel

If the gear lever is moving about as you come off the power then you might have a simple electrical interlock problem. otherwise, given oil pressure is good....it looks like a clutch issue...but if you drive like that with the clutch slipping in my experience it burns the oil pretty quick...you can smell it. One last thing- any chance your EP oil has a limited slip additive?? that will surely mess up the clutch.

Not sure that an electical gremlin on the O/D circuit should be affected by the revs. On or off throttle might affect a dicky connection if the wires were swinging possibly but it sounds more mechanical/hydraulic.

If the pressures are OK and the filters clear then it would point to the clutch.

I've always been impressed by the work done by ORS in Rugby and don't charge the earth.

The overdrive is one of my best repairs.

1. Alan at Cox and Buckles took out the gearbox on a Monday morning.
  2. I drove it up to Sheffield on Monday pm and gave it to ORS
  3. Collected it on Tuesday pm and delivered it back to C&B
  4. Took the bus back to Alan on Wednesday afternoon and collected the TR.

It has never caused me any problem since. The adjustment of the overdrive unit is best done on a workshop jig. The Sheffield company repaired my o/d and it is faultless for over seven years.  Use the Penrite GB40 oil.

Good luck

Richard & B

Ha Ha now the joke: a few months ago I took the o/d box out of the car cos it was not working and took the o/d apart and rebuilt it with bits and help from ORS  and tested on my rig which showed 400lb pressure on my dial.

While I was recently bad mouthing my o/d box in the car I thought to check: the repaired one is still on the garage floor smiling at me. So all my claims about the box relate to the other box. I have decided that I will have to live with the present set up until I need to sort it out

I should be so lucky to have a second box/o/d to put back in the car while I sorted the other out.

Michael

Edited by MichaelH
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/10/2020 at 9:12 AM, RogerH said:

Hi MIchael,

you may need to do a bit of chop and change investigation.

If it was purely acceleration doing the dirty deed then it may be a dodgy wire connection connecting to the GB - but it is not.

EP80/90 GL4  oil was recommended by ST (I'm sure in an attempt to reduce oil leaks - didn;t work).

I'm with Bob in using a 40 grade gear box oil (it's designed for the job)

Make sure your EP80/90 IS GL4

Thicker oils may hold air bubbles and these could be generated by the higher revs - why not change to something like Penrite GB40 and see what happens.

It may also be the OD selector position.

Even with the rigging arm in the correct place it may not be opening the valve enough to allow as much oil in as the pump desires - and so it's output fails.

All stabs in the dark but it's a start.

Roger

If you work on the basis  that an ISO 100 industrial gear oil is the same viscosity as SAE30 engine oil and an 85W gear oil. An 80w/90 oil will be less viscous at lower temperature  than an EP90 at the higher temp they should be nearly the same thickness   but base oil quality, viscosity improver and other additives are also a significant factor..  Quite often where oils are concerned you get what you pay for and if you are adding treatments you have the wrong oil. Engine oils and Gear oils should have an anti-foam additive and published air release time, you can do the shake test with a new and a used oil in two glass jars and shake for a minute  and time the release  Engine oils were often used in gearbox application  due to concerns over the active Sulphur (EP addative)  caused yellow metal pitting which i haven't seen for many years . Gear oils  can be a mine field in so much that that they can be an API GL4 but also have friction modifiers and anti wear additives  that cause o/d clutch slip  at the moment i use a Shell 75w/90 gear oil in my 3A  and the O/D  and gear box run smoothly  

I would pull the O/D replace the springs and check the clutch  friction material after checking the solenoid .. If you do  make sure the internal all line up before refitting, i use a long  thin slotted screwdriver, In theory if  the oil pressure is there the O/D  should engage unless you have slippage 

Also please be aware that ZDDP Zinc is not the only anti-wear additive   .A number of Locomotive engines use Zinc free oil  and have done for many year  but even the add packs for these oils have updated technology

Rgds

Steve

image.png