Oil pressure gauge on 72 model

Hi all

i have just taken out the wood dash prior to restoration and notice the oil pressure gauge is dripping oil from the inside,when I took it out I noticed the little gasket (previous advice to another owner about perhaps renewing it When refitting)was somewhat mangled.As I haven’t seen the car running does this mean the gauge is somehow shot or could the oil be leaking in to the gauge somehow passing the gasket.There is a small stain on the bottom of the gauge face where the oil has formed a tiny puddle I think.

stay safe all

nige

There is a small oil seal at the end of the feed pipe where it meets the gauge body, this stops oil from dripping out of the joint onto the wiring. If your leak is inside the gauge this has nothing to do with the seal and there is probably something wrong with the gauge.

Nige, there is a curved tube inside the gauge. When pressurised it straightens and moves the pointer to reflect the pressure applied. The higher the pressure the more needle movement to register the higher pressure reading on the gauge face. If it isn’t the seal then the tube has started to leak. If so, replacement gauge required.

Colin