Car pulls to right, then left

My TR3A pulls to the right upon acceleration and then pulls to the left upon letting up throttle pedal.

I have checked springs and shocks and front end steering linkage and to the best of my limited ability I think they are ok.

Any ideas?

Opie

In you checks of the springs did you tighten up the U bolts nuts ? Try really nipping them up.

If they allow the spring to flex excessively the car will take off one way under acceleration as the spring winds up shortening the wheelbase one side as the axle rotates around the diff, and then take off the other direction under braking as the spring winds up again around the diff in the opposite direction shortening the wheelbase on the other side of the car.

Mick Richards  

Check that the holes under the axle where it rests on the leaf spring center have not become slots, allowing it to move forward under acceleration, & vica versa.

I had this on my '3 many years ago, fix was to weld a plate under the existing mounting with the right sized hole in it.

Bob.

57 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Check that the holes under the axle where it rests on the leaf spring center have not become slots, allowing it to move forward under acceleration, & vica versa.

I had this on my '3 many years ago, fix was to weld a plate under the existing mounting with the right sized hole in it.

Bob.

What Bod said.

The holes can become very elongated if the U-bolts are not properly torqued. Maybe more common in the TR4/4A with the spacer blocks as the spacer applies additional leverage. Also if a previous owner was not careful on reassembly they could have misaligned the round pin which pushes the spring perch concave.

IMG_3188-crop.jpg

I agree with all comments re rear axle/U bolts. I had exactly the same symptoms & it was only when i took my TR2 into TRGB for its voluntary MOT test that they found the loose U bolts , now nice and tight & no more rear wheel steering

Keith