TR6 Seat Rebuild

Hi

I could do with some help on my seats.  I had them re-upholstered but they guy did a nice leather re-work he did an ass job of the parts.  These parts literally fell out of the side of the seat when fitting, so being winter, I would like to put them correct.  Can someone explain these bits please?  I think they are something to do with the bottom of the seat where the tilt handle is.

130251511_310525530152563_6403308395655478573_n.jpg

Could they be item 16?   Seats, Frames & Fittings - TR6 From (c) CR1 & CF1 (1972-76) - Seats & Seat Covers - Interior - TR5-6 - Triumph - Shop by Model (moss-europe.co.uk)

Seats, Frames & Fittings - TR6 From (c) CR1 & CF1 (1972-76) - Seats & Seat Covers - Interior - TR5-6 - Triumph - Shop by Model (moss-europe.co.uk)

Doesn't seem to have copies the web address for some reason?  What's gone wrong?

John

Edited by John L

How did you do that!  I high lighted the top bar as usual and came out like this Seats, Frames & Fittings - TR6 From (c) CR1 & CF1 (1972-76) - Seats & Seat Covers - Interior - TR5-6 - Triumph - Shop by Model (moss-europe.co.uk)   why?

John

Edited by John L

Those hardboard pieces get inserted into pockets in flaps at the base of the seatback  on either side.  The clips catch the frame to hold those flaps in place.

Ed

IMG_0448a.JPG

Edited by ed_h
On 12/6/2020 at 2:29 PM, AarhusTr6 said:

Hi

I could do with some help on my seats.  I had them re-upholstered but they guy did a nice leather re-work he did an ass job of the parts.  These parts literally fell out of the side of the seat when fitting, so being winter, I would like to put them correct.  Can someone explain these bits please?  I think they are something to do with the bottom of the seat where the tilt handle is.

130251511_310525530152563_6403308395655478573_n.jpg

Based upon my own experience of re-working my old original seats. When I stripped them down I found at least 15 broken welds per seat. This is a common problem with them and other BL models. What were yours like? I don't remember if those metal parts s/b spot welded on to the frame originally?

Bruce.

It worries me that those parts just fell out, they're actually a fairly integral part of keeping the seat in shape. Did your seat man just shove them in and hope for the best? Anyway, when I rebuilt my seats a couple of years ago, I took pictures of every stage of strip down and reassembly. You can see how these fittings are supposed to sit in these pics. The dark brown profile marked rear is original, and was the only intact piece I salvaged from the original seats. The other three were in various stages of more or less complete disintegration (which is why your seat man might not have realised how they worked). I resprayed my metal clips and also put an extra bit of padding on the outer face to soften things up a bit.

P1040399.JPG

P1040404.JPG

4 hours ago, AdrianH said:

It worries me that those parts just fell out, they're actually a fairly integral part of keeping the seat in shape. Did your seat man just shove them in and hope for the best? Anyway, when I rebuilt my seats a couple of years ago, I took pictures of every stage of strip down and reassembly. You can see how these fittings are supposed to sit in these pics. The dark brown profile marked rear is original, and was the only intact piece I salvaged from the original seats. The other three were in various stages of more or less complete disintegration (which is why your seat man might not have realised how they worked). I resprayed my metal clips and also put an extra bit of padding on the outer face to soften things up a bit.

P1040399.JPG

P1040404.JPG

Hi

Unfortunately yes, I think he shoved them in and hoped for best. . . unfortunately not sure myself how I will fix this.

Edited by AarhusTr6

You should be able to, if your seat are the same as those Ed posted up thread. I'm reluctant to suggest a method, in case I get it wrong and you ruin your seats, but you'd need to partially dismantle your seat backs, insert the stiffeners with the clips and packing correctly attached, clip those to the frame then reassemble.

Same as Ed_h and Adrian said - I made up new hardboard inserts (originals in the picture) - resprayed the metal clips and used the original studs - insert the hardboard and clips into the seat cover and then lots of pulling of the seat cover side panel to get it over the clips - make sure you do it inside so that the material is warm and supple 

102_1251.JPG

102_1242.JPG

102_1239.JPG

seat1.JPG

If I recall correctly the CP seats are slightly different to the CR seats in that the rear panel of the CP seat can be unclipped independently of the rest of the seat. I think on the CR the front and back is one single 'pillowcase' (for want of a better expression) kind of arrangement.