Clutch and brake master cylinder

Hi Everyone - hope you are all keeping well. I’m having the engine bay refurbished and ‘everything is out’ - scary what you find...My engineer suggested new master cylinders but I’m a bit disappointed with the clutch master cylinder, it’s not marked Lucas and has a plastic cap instead of the aluminium one so they don’t match.  The originals worked but would it be better to replace? I’m trying hard to hang on to original but not easy to persuade my engineer.  Is there a refurb service like there is for wiper motors, dynamos etc?  
Will there be any snags with fitting the new ones? I do read of problems with fitting various new parts causing more work fettling.  I bought new rectangular engine mounts whilst the engines out.   She’s a 67 TR4A btw

Look forward as always to hearing your opinions.

Christine

Thanks for that info Roger, i hadn’t heard of them.    I will phone them today for a quote.

Has anyone come across snags with new ones, fitting and operation?

Christine

Hi Christine, as Roger says this type of question has often been discussed on here. I think the general opinion regarding replacing parts is It is better to refurbish original  parts than replace with new. A lot of new parts do not seem to stand up to scrutiny when compared to original, and are often poor quality.

Paul

I wouldn't expect to find "Lucas" on a master cylinder as the braking and clutch equipment of a TR4A was made by Girling.

Rather than trying to find the horrible metal cap for the master cylinder, why not fit matching nylon caps, which seal the fluid in and are removed easily.  See my posting in General TR Technical (go to page 2) under topic "brake and clutch cylinder cap corrosion".

Ian Cornish

34 minutes ago, ianc said:

Rather than trying to find the horrible metal cap for the master cylinder, why not fit matching nylon caps, which seal the fluid in and are removed easily.  See my posting in General TR Technical (go to page 2) under topic "brake and clutch cylinder cap corrosion".

Ian Cornish

Couldn't agree more.  My TR4A is currently off having a full engine rebuild, while it's there I have asked them to replace the brake master cylinder metal cap with a nylon one, why?  Because no matter what I tried I couldn't budge the metal cap, even tried using one of those kitchen screw cap removers, I could see me tearing the whole reservoir off.  At least if it gets damaged at the garage they can just fit a new MC.  The clutch cylinder already has the nylon lid.

Edited by Colin Symonds