In the shed this weekend.

6 hours ago, T Rusty said:

Hello David, did you find someone competent to remove them? The o rings on my 3A tranny leak badly. I have an extra lid which I planned to re-do with new o rings and use. But in spite of all care the square screws sheared off. I used every tool I had and extractors I had to buy and every fluid I’ve heard of but the sheared off, hardened stubs, are still in there. I’d gladly send the lid to someone who could extract the broken screws. Thanks. Paul

I had to buy a replacement top.  I have a trophy in my garage.  It's the "I Should Have Listened to Roger" Trophy.  1st place though!

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, David Owen said:

Good morning,

What should I be careful of when removing the sealer plate?

David

Turning the cage nuts in their cages as the bolts have seized.  Or better still.....Tearing a chunk of bodywork out because the screws are seized in their cages.

This is a wet climate issue and may not be relevant to you.

Peter W

7 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Turning the cage nuts in their cages as the bolts have seized.  Or better still.....Tearing a chunk of bodywork out because the screws are seized in their cages.

This is a wet climate issue and may not be relevant to you.

Peter W

Thank you Peter.  I think I will wait and see if the lost bolt is going to cause a significant rattle before I do this....and I am going to estimate where the dip switch bracket is mounted.  I can correct both when and if I decide to take it down to the frame.

Should really be titled "In the shed this lockdown", but progress is being made slowly. Got the drivers door fitted, trimmed and side screen fitted today. The inner flap on the door opening of the hood seems too big though. Its OK at the back, fits neatly along the frame of the side screen, but at the top it hangs about an inch lower and is right in my eyeline when i sit in the car , I have to duck to see out. Is this normal for the flap to be this big.

Ralph

20210119_165605.jpg

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I added anything to this link, no one got back to me about the size of the inner flap on the hood, but as it is (hopefully) not going to be used much I guess I will just live with it.

Not had much to do to the car, allied to some really cold weather that put me off going into the shed, and i have been waiting several weeks for the registration to go through. I am pleased to say that the registration application was successful based on just photographs, with Grahams assistance in the process, and hasn`t required an inspection. This weekends jobs are putting on the new pressed alluminium no plates, and changing the 17 inch steering wheel (which was new) for an 15inch Astrali wheel. I felt the steering was light enough with the rack and pinion to go smaller and gain an inch of leg room under the wheel. (anyone out there want a new 17" woodrim wheel for a good price?)

I have insured the car this morning for a very reasonable £150 with agreed value (£20,000), so as soon as the weather improves I will be out doing short runs around the estate to iron out any bugs, with runs getting longer as my confidence in the car increases. Roll on the end of lock down and the return of some shows later in the year.

Ralph

Interesting the different techniques used for making the hoods. I see yours is in 3 pieces, a centre section and 2 side sections, whereas mine (Don Hoods) is one piece side to side, and both fit well.

I was thinking of buying some wind wings which I see you have, do they make much difference, and do they get in the way of the side screen?

Ralph

2 hours ago, Lebro said:

're the inner hood flap, mine is not that low, why not just trim it ?

Bob

I may well do that as it makes it a bit difficult to get ones fingers through the flap to poke out the outer flap. I have some proper thread that I bought when I re covered the side screens so I could sow it back up again to match  original.

Ralph

39 minutes ago, David Owen said:

The shed has become an efficient operations centre.

SIx Nations while working on the car.  :D

c.jpg.e44f08a4810a4d2f0eed164965eb7ef9.jpg

Shed !!! 
that’s a bloody palace !!

Hi Ralph, The wind wings work quite well, they don't stop all the buffeting but you can trim them in and out like wing flaps to suit the conditions, I had to remove the hinges from the perspex (easy to do, just unscrews) and turn them around to give space for the sidescreens to fit, very happy with them and would recommend.  Cheers, Bill.

P1010745_0532a.jpg

Edited by billy l

Last week i ‘finished’ the Scruffy Racer project!

renovated the front end with repainted fork legs and brakes, and had the brake disks drilled

looking good i think 

7CBC28F1-F806-45C1-8769-E5F5B8A39641.thumb.jpeg.b2bf1511604912a7bbb41fe4e11f708e.jpeg

Also reset the carb float levels and refitted original keihin idle jets, then vacuum synced the carbs

Scruffy os running really well now.

what am i gojng to do this week ?...... fortunately there is a mountain bike needing new head besrings and general maintenance

steve

Edited by Steves_TR6
4 hours ago, billy l said:

Hi Ralph, The wind wings work quite well, they don't stop all the buffeting but you can trim them in and out like wing flaps to suit the conditions, I had to remove the hinges from the perspex (easy to do, just unscrews) and turn them around to give space for the sidescreens to fit, very happy with them and would recommend.  Cheers, Bill.

Bill,

I like the look of that wing mirror.

Please tell us where it is from and is it simply fitted with just one screw?

Charlie.

Hi Charlie, The arm is made by Desmo and fitted with a Lucas central mounted mirror, all purchased at autojumbles, I still see them for sale occasionaly, it is held on with just one slightly longer stantion screw, (no drilling required) it has never moved in all the time it's been fitted, another advantage is you can open the door fully with the sidescreen fitted.  Cheers, Bill.

P1010743_0530a.jpg

P1010744_0531a.jpg

15 hours ago, Steves_TR6 said:

Last week i ‘finished’ the Scruffy Racer project!

renovated the front end with repainted fork legs and brakes, and had the brake disks drilled

looking good i think 

7CBC28F1-F806-45C1-8769-E5F5B8A39641.thumb.jpeg.b2bf1511604912a7bbb41fe4e11f708e.jpeg

Also reset the carb float levels and refitted original keihin idle jets, then vacuum synced the carbs

Scruffy os running really well now.

what am i gojng to do this week ?...... fortunately there is a mountain bike needing new head besrings and general maintenance

steve

That`s a very nice bike, I would be happy with that.

Ralph.

1 hour ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

That`s a very nice bike, I would be happy with that.

Ralph.

Thanks Ralph!

i wanted to keep Scruffy looking original but with better performance.

so rebuilt engine bored out to 600cc, Hagon suspension with emulators in the forks, electronic ignition, twin brakes, totally reworked electrics etc

it’s a really fun bike to ride, fast enough and with quite good handling for a 1970s bike !

actually it’s very similar to my TR6, and gets nearly as many waves and smiles from onlookers:-)

steve

In the advent of ethanol fuel have decided to modify the petrol tap with viton ‘o’ rings

replace the cork with a brass plug having two grooves.

I have already got orders for 3 more kits to friend and family and I’ve not tested it yet!

+1 for EliTR6  in France.

+1 for James C in France.

Peter W

PS I am modifying the design to place the o rings at each end so they are retained by the existing plunger and mushroom screw.  Will make one and test to get the end groove the right width.  That will ensure the lower seal is below the outlet port when the plunger is pushed to OFF.

Another note - The inlet and out holes to the tap are tiny 

I will experiment with opening them out to at least 1/4" if not 5/16" (the pipe size)  I will probably end up at 9/32" so the pipe cannot be pushed in so far that it touches the plunger or seals.

Does anyone know what the thread of the brass plunger is?  I thought 3 BA but it is 32 tpi.  More like 6-32 or 8-32 UNC but they are different diameters.  No doubt some non standard British thread Ewarts created for their own use.  The lock nut is either 1/4" af or 4BA spanner size

Peter W

EE2E07D4-69CF-4E09-89C9-B8C7EC9544B9.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Very nice Peter.

Could you do a quick sketch showing dimensions, & size of 'O' ring (& source!)

My tap currently has a short length or rubber fuel pipe replacing the cork, & had lasted 7 years so far (& still works as a tap)

but your solution is more elegant.

Bob.

15 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

In the advent of ethanol fuel have decided to modify the petrol tap with viton ‘o’ rings

replace the cork with a brass plug having two grooves.

I have already got orders for 3 more kits to friend and family and I’ve not tested it yet!

Peter W

EE2E07D4-69CF-4E09-89C9-B8C7EC9544B9.jpeg

Looks great Peter 

Put me down for one too please!