In the shed this weekend.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you both.  Todays task is to cover both door cappings.  I will post pictures later, unless I make a complete hash of them.

Ralph

51 minutes ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Thank you both.  Todays task is to cover both door cappings.  I will post pictures later, unless I make a complete hash of them.

Ralph

Dont forget you need to allow for the sidescreen bracket Dzeus fastener spring to sit into the backing boards and the door pulls need to go through the pockets.

Stuart.

4 minutes ago, stuart said:

Dont forget you need to allow for the sidescreen bracket Dzeus fastener spring to sit into the backing boards and the door pulls need to go through the pockets.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, I had forgotten about the Dzus fasteners poking through, but I guess once I have determined their location I will be able to cut some clearance holes. The door pockets are open at the top which I think is to allow the cable to drop through.

20210107_112705.jpg

Hi Folks,

yesterday I attempted to coat my TR4A dash support in builders cavity foam.

Why!!! :o       I hear you cry - well, I removed the tatty Vinyl cover and the foam also came off.

Before re-covering in leather I wanted to put a thin (6mm) layer of foam down.

This worked the other day as a simple experiment - the foam had access to atmosphere and dried/set a TReat.

Yesterdays experiment was covered by plastic and then a piece of ply wood to give a flat surface.

A couple of 'not good' things happened -

1 - The foam in the middle of the sandwich (12" x 6") did not set. It remained as a sticky mess.

2 - Because of the lack of rapid setting there were large pockets of air where the foam had shrunk back.

My next attempt will be to cover the surface again but not to put the flat surface on. This will leave a very rough lumpy surface.

However, when set the foam is easy to sand into shape.

Roger

Sounds fun Roger

i’m low on jobs that ‘need’ doing in the workshop or garage, shall TRy to find something.....

steve

1 hour ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

The door pockets are open at the top which I think is to allow the cable to drop through.

My old pockets had been cut into by the cables when used to open the doors, so I slipped pieces of slit windscreen washer tubing over the new pocket edges to protect them. In practice I use the external handle to open the door except on the rare occasions when the sidescreen is in place. 

Miles

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

...I attempted to coat my TR4A dash support in builders cavity foam...

“Builders cavity foam “ is strange stuff. I’d never used it before but felt it was an ideal material to block up rat holes that had appeared exiting what was no doubt a rats nest under the garden pond.

I poked the nozzle from the container about 9 inches into each hole and gave it a blast until the foam was level with the surface of the soil. I went away for an hour or so and returned to check it had set.

I was amazed to find gigantic mushroom like objects, about a foot tall,  coming out of each hole. I guess the foam must expand about 10 times it’s original size. This was why I was a bit surprised when I first read about Roger using it.

As for the rats… They simply dug more escape holes on the other side of the pond.

Charlie.

Worse still WFH on TEAMS and zoom type meetings. 
the garage is bl@@dy cold tho but I have an ali sump to fit

the purchase of which has lead to an oil temp gauge,  the sump has a boss for one so be rude not to use it.

this leads to a bargain ebay purchase of an oil flow thermostat that I don’t need.

The  car has been running for decades with an oil cooler and unknown temps!!

I also would like to swap out the ammeter of a volt meter. 

And need to fit  a used set of Avon cr6 to a used set of minilite style alloys. 

is 3 sets of alloys  with tyres and 2 set of bare steels too many ?

and Bob needs to build me a 160/170 bhp engine. 

15 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

“Builders cavity foam “ is strange stuff. I’d never used it before but felt it was an ideal material to block up rat holes that had appeared exiting what was no doubt a rats nest under the garden pond.

I poked the nozzle from the container about 9 inches into each hole and gave it a blast until the foam was level with the surface of the soil. I went away for an hour or so and returned to check it had set.

I was amazed to find gigantic mushroom like objects, about a foot tall,  coming out of each hole. I guess the foam must expand about 10 times it’s original size. This was why I was a bit surprised when I first read about Roger using it.

As for the rats… They simply dug more escape holes on the other side of the pond.

Charlie.

put poison down

11 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Worse still WFH on TEAMS and zoom type meetings. 
the garage is bl@@dy cold tho but I have an ali sump to fit

Draining!

11 minutes ago, Hamish said:

and Bob needs to build me a 160/170 bhp engine. 

Hahaha.  Get in line!  :lol:

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

The foam in the middle of the sandwich (12" x 6") did not set. It remained as a sticky mess.

I understand the foam needs moisture to expand and set -perhaps you need to spray the surfaces with water before using it?

1 hour ago, Lebro said:

Be careful what you wish for :D

Bob.

P.S.  I won't be building any more engines for a while thank you. Much too stressful !

aw bob I'm crushed, have to do it myself then, don't think you get away that easy i will still ask silly questions.

Rob is correct about the foam needing moisture to fully expand and set. It’s written on the can !

I used the foam on the TR7 V8 race car, inside the fibreglass outer wings and original steel inner wings, front panels (bumper steel insert removed and bumper sunk back near flush with the bodywork, and the fibreglass doors with alloy inner panel. I layered the foam about 3” deep after spraying lightly inside the panels with water. After an hour the foam was now 9” deep irregularly and still expanding. Another hour and another spray with water and another layer backing out of the panel with the nozzle. Next day the fibreglass panels now were very “butch” with “ full fat” appearance and the foam sufficiently cured to be cut off flush with the missus’s very sharp carving knife. The foam sticks like excrement to a blanket and adds not inconsiderable stiffness to flimsy panels being as they are then “bonding” between inner and outer surfaces.

Oh, ...Ken Lark ( name to conjure with) who also had a TR7 V8 admired the robustness and tried it on his car...but didn’t add the water. After a month the foam was still expanding every time the car got wet, which was a pity because he’d sealed off the inner panels and orifices. Make no mistake the expansion of this foam is VERY generous... and hard to stop, his outer fibreglass wings were sporting wrinkles over a couple of feet of the flatter surfaces as it tried to derivet  the surfaces.

Mick Richards

5 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Ralph

As promised here are the pics of the finished items. Not my most favorite job I have to say. Great difficulty getting the ends to look right. I tried covering the buttons for the ends and gave up as it made them too big to get in, however I think they may be stainless so I have left them uncovered for now.

Running out of jobs now. Need to get the doors painted next when there is some half decent weather. It has been freezing outside for the last couple of days which is why I have been doing trim, inside on the kitchen table, where it is nice and warm.

20210107_155629.jpg

20210107_155712.jpg

54 minutes ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

As promised here are the pics of the finished items. Not my most favorite job I have to say. Great difficulty getting the ends to look right. I tried covering the buttons for the ends and gave up as it made them too big to get in, however I think they may be stainless so I have left them uncovered for now.

Running out of jobs now. Need to get the doors painted next when there is some half decent weather. It has been freezing outside for the last couple of days which is why I have been doing trim, inside on the kitchen table, where it is nice and warm.

20210107_155629.jpg

20210107_155712.jpg

The buttons arent meant to be covered, its only on TR2 where there is no end caps, they have a circle of material stuck to the ends.

Stuart.

Oh good, don`t have to worry about those then.  Waiting for my boot mat and tank cover now which should be here any day.

Ralph..

19 hours ago, stuart said:

The buttons arent meant to be covered, its only on TR2 where there is no end caps, they have a circle of material stuck to the ends.

Stuart.

How about TR 3 Stuart ?   [ not 3a ]