In the shed this weekend.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QPR might be more appropriate for where Roger lives!

Lapel badges - good idea!

image.png.6a4c716c4bf14280b75874238fa9f6ba.png

But Triumph Globe badges are available too!

image.png.70806f81fc17261c19c433c9cbc8d902.pnghttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352144396037

Edited by john.r.davies

HiJohn,

Kevin knows something of my background. Mum and dad from Preston and I've followed PNE for a long time - sadly they are still useless.

QPR is only 8 miles away butI couldn;t follow them.

Hi Kev,

I didn;t think of that badge - now you've got me thinking.

Roger

I have a pair of stud earrings that are the Triumph World badge, never wear them. Two for the price of one. :ph34r:

CA7DDECA-00F7-457D-BEFD-3D0601E5818D.jpeg

Edited by SuzanneH
  • 2 weeks later...

Got fed up with oil breathing out of the oil filler cap, dripping on the rocker cover and ultimately dripping down the back of the engine.

The addition of a shaped part inside the oil filler cap has stopped the oil breathing issues.

The modification is a simple internal/external flanged & coned plug fitted with a Loctite coated screw to the cap.

The only hassle was drilling the spring steel insert of the cap.   Done with a masonry drill.

8AB797F8-5FA9-472F-A35B-5467A4442388.jpeg

B83EBE5C-C491-4EAC-8D5C-AE678142C726.jpeg

I don`t have those holes at the bottom, instead there are 2 slots at the front. Doesn`t seem to leak oil either.

Ralph

20211205_134236.jpg

20211205_134246.jpg

Edited by Ralph Whitaker
spelling mistake
  • 7 months later...
On 11/22/2021 at 6:44 PM, john.r.davies said:

I don't know if they are the wrong size, but one of the well known TR2-3-4 hubcap badges would looks well on there.

On the lathe, you could cut a recess on the top of the knob for the round badge and epoxy it in.

image.png.e8fa01a34b5c6835c025a857be9625b5.png

Thank you for the idea.   I used up the last of the stainless bar and a bit of brass plus a lapel badge from the badge seller on. e bay recessed into the top.    Glued it all together using JB Weld.   It is better polished than the photo shews.

Here fitted awaiting me getting the heater back in.

Peter W

32978045-CF65-47A7-9C6E-DF8B29F92D0B.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Interesting task.   Change the snapped and seized hinge pins in 2 TR4 door hinges.

The pins are hardened, but not glass hard thankfully.

Drilled a 6 mm hole in the end of each broken pin with a carbide drill to give the punch somewhere to sit without belling out the pin.

Set about with a punch and hammer, ended up with the oxy/propane torch getting the hinge barrel red hot to allow a good wallop.  Took two of us just over an hour.

Not pretty, but now in bits and awaiting fettling for rebuild.  

51CC7997-DD79-4A00-A83F-E28681EAF80C.jpeg

2E80C548-DAAD-46CF-B06B-7CC7415A5C08.jpeg

Fitting the first of two of Roger’s logic overdrive control units

Now to make a second passing contact switch fit in the original overdrive switch housing for the second kit.

Peter W

FFA64495-463F-47CB-A6F9-E37F39EF7D7A.jpeg

65532163-4E86-4C97-AE98-98924384E5E6.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
On 7/23/2022 at 7:28 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Interesting task.   Change the snapped and seized hinge pins in 2 TR4 door hinges.

The pins are hardened, but not glass hard thankfully.

Drilled a 6 mm hole in the end of each broken pin with a carbide drill to give the punch somewhere to sit without belling out the pin.

Set about with a punch and hammer, ended up with the oxy/propane torch getting the hinge barrel red hot to allow a good wallop.  Took two of us just over an hour.

Not pretty, but now in bits and awaiting fettling for rebuild.  

51CC7997-DD79-4A00-A83F-E28681EAF80C.jpeg

2E80C548-DAAD-46CF-B06B-7CC7415A5C08.jpeg

Next step.  Turn 4 tpi groove in hinge pins for grease flow. Tap and fit grease nipples.  

6CD4CC5E-26FA-45E1-B2C6-0D6DF0D8F949.jpeg

1 hour ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Next step.  Turn 4 tpi groove in hinge pins for grease flow. Tap and fit grease nipples.  

Peter - how many are you doing? I've got lots of old ones waiting patiently........:o

Cheers Rich

Well, I am unexpectedly "in the shed" today taking the carbs and manifolds off due to a sheared manifold to downpipe stud.  Detected a small blow yesterday and thought I would just nip up the brass nuts. You know the rest.

Ralph

17 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

I fitted grease nipples in my hinges when I refurbed the hinges during my rebuild.   Not having the wherewithal to machine a grease groove, I just pressed the new pins (made out of 9mm rod) home and put a blob of weld on the end to hold them in place. The grease gun needs a bit of a squeeze to get the grease to flow but it does get there.  I suspect they will outlast me.

Rgds Ian

PS Does anyone have a fix that stops the door dropping slightly when the sidescreens are attached, even though there is no obvious play in the hinges.  It seems like the back plate of the door distorts slightly.

3 minutes ago, iain said:

Hi Ian, Could it be the “a” post flexing? 

Iain

Correct, fillets above and below the top hinge area to inner wing makes all the difference.

Stuart.

5 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Well, I am unexpectedly "in the shed" today taking the carbs and manifolds off due to a sheared manifold to downpipe stud.  Detected a small blow yesterday and thought I would just nip up the brass nuts. You know the rest.

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

Do you have the down pipe gasket ?  I am sure I have a few NOS Triumph copper ones lurking in the gasket drawer.  Spares as I no longer have a manifold to down-pipe joint requiring a gasket. 

PM if you want one or two in the post.

Not going for the Jaguar fix then...

Drill out stud from below and fit nut and bolt.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT