How to make your own DIY electric power steering for your TR4-TR6

8 hours ago, Charlie D said:

purpose made drill presses are not designed to have sideways forces applied to the spindle

Quite right. When I'm getting it to pretend to be a lathe I use a chunk of metal with an appropriate diameter hole in it to support the free end of whatever I'm turning. There's still a momentary side force when I cut off but I only make spacers & other little pieces.

J

Hi,

next I will make the "anti torque strap" and before I forget I show you which parts you can not futher use from your TR:

Fs0_F0gk-OlQfGRvu8aOlCXAaxofn2eWw9jtSBG5

Item 30 and 38 (TR4/4A/6)

Item 39 (TR6), item 29 could be a pain to install

In my opinion this is no problem because the outer tube of the EPS unit I make from steel instead of aluminium,

and on the TR4/4A the construction wortks without item 39.

"See you" later today, Marco

Today I worked more on the gearbox,

so I only made the cap for the end of the outgoing tube from black POM (I like this material, please not: this is not Nylon)

o7RaPxzdz6pBhvHUBVkeXKYL8IeM23efMrU45lRa

Original this is made of aluminium

jolxl91tiym4rP8dTla9ump7Q2yCKul4Qr8Km2f1

35 mm is a very popular size for installation pipes, shure a dust cap from this tubes will also work (just an idea).

ur7PoXfTev278UyK0a6M1_mIZAR4ZvoUZqax6kB8

Today I was not fancy for the torque strap so I want to show you 2 ways to connect the tube to the upper end of the unit

The space between the support bracket welded on the bulkhead and item 44 bolted on the dashboard is about 170 mm on my TR4A,

best you pick this up with compasses your own on your TR.

gDI5bpDIVWLIt7qgQjGa6kDqOLrsWm9b5RcJzVkt

This allows about 15 mm up to max. 20 mm for a coupling 35 x 42 mm, glued with Loctite 638 on the torque senor housing.

15 mm is deep enough and there is no torque on this tube, so this will be more than solid enough.

AD0kih77BL0rUuAnl7wkPMtW9NCPil2Vt79KwiZy

This could look like this. You could make this from aluminium on the lathe or ask a friend to do it for you.

vZYUd73MhjoGZI_cvElID_4jiQliYupoyXuAPAfR

I will go the second way: I cut the torque sensor housing d = 35 mm x 20 mm deep on the lathe, this allows to use the 20 mm to slide the hole unit out or in.

Already yesterday, when I tried to slide my 32 x 1.5 mm steel tube on the Renault Clio steering column, I found it not suitable! But why? In 2018 it did...

By accident I still have the end of my first unit in my workshop, which I cut off to fit the steering lock.

LmgRhFBn-pQtterIdcVR4iX8tounX8LEVf7te0bn

The reason is: "the same" units, both from a Renault Clio 2, have two different diameters!

With the 28 mm column from my first unit the 32 x 1.5 mm tube fitted well, now with the 29.5 mm column I had to order a 32 x 1.0 mm tube yesterday.

This slotted part could also  be pressed off from the column (to use a 32 x 1.5 mm tube) but I want to keep the effort as simple as possible.

Indeed, simple is relative.

Ciao, Marco

edit, sorry, take this sketch

LlKXz-774UdTtRqPPZ543f2Wabrlmuo-gyALSu6K

Edited by Z320

This is the torque sensor off to go on the lathe,

on the shaft you see the 3 trigger wheels, between the 1st and 2nd is a torsion element,

spinning the shaft makes the "crwons" move relative to each other, this regulates the quantity of support from the EPS.

n19oQOyKG6eM9amwVxdHZvKWWuRFLjuRlELqwIz_

Inside the sensor housing the first 7 mm are d=34 mm and good for nothing for us, I cut this off (no need to do, but already on the lathe - why not).

The next about 23 mm is d= 31 mm, good to cut to d=32 mm, by accident the diamater of the original TR Steering column, deep inside a needle bearing.

IxD_m9AF6B_rq9Rf6JyEsMXABdKVfLnTnVUIlCBw

I pluged that with a card board and cleaning paper to keep the chips out.

(btw: all of you with al lathe shure know, a piece f steel with a bearing is a usefull tool to center many work pieces)

a6xSBs1FnF_yfeG5uw_elUERbEe0AShpudj4lVh0

ready after cleaning with a vacuum cleaner, card board plug and paper out

UFGgA3TODgk2n-eNoBsWiMpASFx2PNIxBWTglrKB

ejhjUccl-PVSh-b1JYN2ihmsWOlDUgAc8tnXBEpw

Ciao, Marco

Hi,

the new steel tube 32 x 1.0 mm is in (and doesn't fit :wacko:) and it is time to fix the needed length.

Some of you wish I tell the result is xyz mm and nothing else, and indeed it is 110 mm, but it is not that easy.

Did you expect something else?

Because this length is responsible for the position of the steering wheel in front of the dashboard - and perhaps you want it closer or with more distance?

YES, you can adjust the steering wheel on the TR4-6 - but No: not with this hudge electric unit between bulkhead and dashboard.

I show you how you can make YOUR decision, please take and check all dimensions on your TR!

On the next photo you see the position where I cut "the bell" (left) off (for a further use) from the aluminium tube (scrap).

Mc7Q82GDF08z21UorMlLNajis7j_UsdCs0UfN9qK

The length of the tube from this cut is 342 mm (on the steering column on my working bench).

DkPpM5MqYtVaOmw9g5A3dbU7q-I_E3ZFYD7hfVW9

On the next photo you see where end of the unit reaching to the engine touches the bracket on the bulkhead.

On LHD TRs it is for shure the head of one of the both screws, on RHD TRs it is also "propably" the head of the screw 180° on the other side.

QUuAaTlj3zQiTJfP1bKppOcqekvBXcOuxX9f-pNe

From this point the tube is 112 mm long in the direction to the engine.

MP0ru5jGr2FZzrdZ6SASasfy9mJ2uQ769wYz9FeX

In the other direction, from the head of this screw, my unit is 140 mm long (you remember, I cut 7 mm off)

YQHyJmmVYXj8XYjRi2iM3sQ5l74KGDNwJTRHW6cl

Between the column support bracket, welded on the bulkhead, and the clamp (item 44) bolted on the fascia on my TR4A there is 170mm space.

b5FK_7D3A4lxkGJAX-wlTBdib0cq6G1kHSLIs9f5

With this I can move the unit and steering wheel any time I want max. 25 mm in the direction of the driver, at least 5 mm are needed to get the cables out of item 44.

The clamp (item 44) is 40 mm long (the beige tape), "behind the clamp" I'm directly on the fascia, this is 112 mm + 170 mm + 40 mm = 322 mm from the other end of the unit. The red tape is the end of the 342 mm from the beginning of this post.

UcilTpJbOWqlHJKHWap_jVqig26fx-f7gGG8k6Mg

Means, with 342 mm length the "bell" beginns about 20 mm in front of the fascia, this is about 7 mm in front of the wooden dashboard.

So the length of the needed tube is 110 mm (90 mm + 20 mm in the torque sensor housing).

2wour_MMnX2c-s02LET5XgyC2hhpQrA6i4ovf0cH

If you want the steering wheel closer to you, you have to make the tube longer (max +20mm), if you want it closer to the dashboard you have to make it shorter.

For the position like in my TR (as close as possible to the dashboard) the tube must end with the fascia.

A4vVF7H2c21Tgs1-FfH8Kf6GtnVygtIQ3OVfdl8_

Anyway in my situation I can move the unit 25 mm out, as explained above. I show you later why this is needed.

I'm undecided with which length I continue, better would be 110 mm long, this fits more universal.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

So what was the problem about the 32 x 1.0 mm tube?

It did not fit over the steering lock sleeve with 29.5 mm diameter,

because the sleeve is not made on the lathe and the 29.5 mm diameter has not the same center over the total length.

So today I bolted the torque sensor off again, did some dust protection, used my Dremel and after 5 minutes the sleeve broke off with a "ping" like an electric ignition spark.

First I thought I have a serious problem - but felt no pain anywhere....

IoI9F8Yy_6Kw3DGD-O8E-7tu_xY6LILlfOFSQfT5

ZZUGhVQ5CmcBcisYgugkY-3e9KYld33LUXZqiSGT

Next I fixed the shaft in my small vice and this on the working bench to do a hacksaw job again

I2DK-JqrpI-jdGu72HxBOhx1k6KGV52wAfXRlU7L

My hope was to find the inside diameter close to 17.5 mm to tap a 3/4 UNF tread - but it is only 15.0 mm.

I guess best is to make a coupling 15 mm x 19 mm, to glue it and fit 2 roll pins.

Sorry, the progress on the project slows down because I'm at the office again....

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

OK,

the steering lock sleeve is off and the steel tube 32 x 1.5 mm I made 110 mm long.

"The bell" I cut off from the aluminium tube with my lovely hacksaw and smoothed the surface with a file.

The steel tube and "the bell" will be connected with a coupling made of POM, both ends pressed inside.

The POM coupling also will be the bearing for the steering column and the helper to glue the steel tube in line in the EPS unit.

hSy2XZkBxpBQHP_i7bMY8P-xFzu_bcgqM96ybzAM

POM are the black and white pieces and is a kind of plastic, you perhaps know it as "Delrin" from "DuPont".

This works very well for simple bearings and I love to work with this material on the lathe.

The "X"ed one is Nylon (Polyamide) , another kind of plasic for simple bearings, I hate this material on the lathe.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

Some progress today in my workshop.

You see the coupling made of POM, left end d=29 x 20 mm, right d = 30.5 mm (due to YOUR "bell) x 20 mm, inside about 22 mm.

This also helps us later to glue the steel tube in line with the steering column.

pAWlxRQpUUgqvBKVsJqCRmo0NvtSCiQCaezoVLck

POM is a lovely sliding material for bearings, but it also slides outside!

To fix it proper in the tube and in the "bell" a little screw is needed, the one in the tube you can pre drill and fix very soon,

the one in the bell you fit at last when the hole unit and the switches for indicator and light are in their final position.

If you don't do that the time will come, you want to use any of both switches and - twist the bell.

Edited by Z320

Next is to find out where the make the cut on the TR steering column on the correct position, looks difficult but it is simple.

First mark the end of the steering wheel and determine the distance when the steering wheel touches "the bell".

5 mm on my Moto Lita.

HQaWwuvoMhJJjuyFh2i_3lrsmxUqnL-z-z2fReNB

zjaANNQx84W_EEOOL8gNZqwiCPqUm_4nywkdfDyn

Moved to my original steering wheel it seems to be the same.

uRFrKyQJPGHtrEH5j9WDYP46JO3ZANKAZK31CVSr

But it is 6 mm - 2 mm = 4 mm...

utSryqQt8lzK-f_5T9xjD7kNrJEOjIjUNfhfoYeE

2li6HwRaTHInCGzMkr62GkUEHlDyuCxUL6cyXRvs

Same - same.

HYp9CKN7z5W-b9aslC94beX6w84DCnpL-blvjPin

fBKN-Y-pKcaVqoBOxXxV-4ICEvNHjWpQNmvV1_I1

Next you assemble the tube and "bell".

You may have the issue the coupling sticks on the steering column, this is because the POM coupling is compressed by the tube / bell.

Then take it in pieces again, back on the lathe and cut 1/10 mm more out.

vVjKJvXAA0Oz9JCZS0nKPkjvg2AyA2FrhMb2nfU2

Inside "the bell" you see the Renault steering column where I cut it off.

UDtNoRnsfAOwsmBBcg3ufhTacYLwVSEP07QJq9hC

This is - IN MY CASE - 67 mm deep in "the bell".

BwTLW2Bk32FJs9B57elSlbr2Fi47fSxr1e4D20ST

That's it!

"The bell" beginns 4 - 5 mm in front of the mark you made in the coulmn, must be 67 mm long,

please ADD 3 mm for the gap needed between the steering wheel and the bell.

I also added 20 mm which I want to cut down to d = 15 mm and glue it direct in the Renault column - if the TR column is solid there (I did not know at this point).

PActrmGg5JwRTXp8tHqeYWFIue25IJ8ZvokzC109

Sadly it is not!

About at the point "70 mm" on my scale there is a welding seam inside from a friction welding of the solid front end and the tube part.

V8SHS5DBqY5ZWgRlG62lKUNxgUpJnzSgDf_1zpee

Sadly the diameters are too unfavorable to glue anything direct inside each other, so I give some thought on a "plan B".

BTW here you see friction weelding.

Enjoy it

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

Love your work Marco.....as a matter of interest, if you were not fitting a steering lock through the upper steel tube would you have considered fitting a POM coupling inside the EPAS housing and fitting a longer TR outer column to the coupling for easier accessibility to the locking screw so the outer column can be removed if required.

Edited by Malbaby

Hi Malcom,

thank you for your question, this shows me you are still on board.

I never considered this because from my steering lock unit I have always been fixed in maximum strenght of the units housing,

connecting the bulkhead with the fascina - perhaps my fault.

Shure you can go this way, there are many possible ways to go...

Let the TR outer tube longer, guide it direct in the Renault unit and use a original bearing -> no POM coupling at all.

The clamp on the fascia will fix the tube and will peserve the bell from spinning.

PpwGPLaDe_bWXfvNDzNOXzGRkWs-v6g-P5bFMLDG

What could happen: the clam (item 44) could bend / twist the tube and a perhaps already tight upper bearing will block...

Keep in mind with this you have no solid unit housing between bulkhead and fascina.

Because the original tube is made from soft aluminium I wraped a sheet of 0.6 mm steel around it in 2014.

hboCFIPaoidiV25C8E6gipw_lNroEN5NzxScumGH

Later I found out at several forums this is a often made improvement since ages.

Allow me a preview today: later you will find out you have to fit the indicator return clip later through "the bell".

This can be an anoying job because the clip is a strong loaded spring clip, on the photo you see two of them.

YbIdcYXNy5_zfr2Lc83uh_nPNCFBx62A8I3BLJda

So for my first EPS unit I made a different one, for this EPS unit I try to get the clip softer by glowing it.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday - but at Australia you are already at Monday?

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

had no idea which way I contiune the metal work, so I orderd the controler from "bruno_steering" (Portugal) some days ago.

g3mGORuKBP0Td9Zrek3yy6otqFMrqbpWoLrFsgKl

This is needed to get the Renault Clio regulator working. It comes with the plug, a 50 A fuse and an installation instruction.

It's for switching the regulator on/off (be shure you buy it with the unit) by the ignition key, regulate the basic intensity by a poti / knop

and to fool the regulator about the fact the car's ECU is missing. Today it arrived and so I started to continue.

My consern was to keep the work as simple as possible (no joke),

and the way on the next photo is not a simple way (did not get off the splined shaft from the trigger wheels).

My4S2F6tc-rrvc4_pbvvu7Bl5OW0svSfT6fzjg_8

So I pressed the steel bolt back and will connect the two ends of the steering column by a bolt fitted inside.

NkqVyXF4wK2stx78olozpQYFirJNakCZM3wobNbr

The one on the photo is made from aluminium only to check easily the dimensions and total length,

I will make it finally from steel, glue it with Loctite 638 and lock it on both sides with 6 mm roll pins. You will see.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

Well,

I cut out the welding seam on the lathe just as much as I need go det a mote or less smooth surface, di = 14 mm now.

xCaFXEluEw0317yZR8J8Fe8OXwIijTE-T1yGlpwv

Next I checked the gap with my old steering wheel, it was exactly what I wanted to have: 3 mm

jRpZLYIvMLqegTa5jy-8X9hIPP4ekpHZOeuq7tqA

But too much, I did not like it and reduced the gap down to 1.5 mm

Wb1K9QHFu_biBEOS29k74Q3JX-W8XOZQyUZSX_8w

Ready to make the connecting piece of steel, first only one side, later you will see why.

If6VOg-oOkyFZVK_PS03oEZFgh5TN00eiguYtPSO

This will be a slightly interference fit, also glued with Loctite 638.....

ILU8P1cDz2aM2lyKaAhQFJJ9739f2t0S6heGOye5

...then drilled 6 mm....

bSKE0h_jUk03a1KCFxdLImK07ZxAgogbiKFfsz1Q

.....and locked with a roll pin. Next I expect it will be slightly angled and out of the center line.

YWBV_qwENXbeIp4WhdlxxXd7_jUIpY4OboSwD6vN

You see? As I told you..... 

That's 0.20 mm out of center on 32 mm length, in the other direction this will be 4 x more.

Perhaps my attitude is too high....?

eByvq-Nx4Pgw4jBrHqmjIc5H59rkZykIxKxkcRzU

But you better not weld or solder this.

This will bend the steel anywhere and is not a good idea if you can not machine the parts after welding.

By the way I have been told it is not allowed to weld anything on the steering column at all at Germany.

Next I cut this end of the connecting piece down to 15 mm - in line with the column which is in the chuck.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

Yes, with my lathe this is also always the case.

The result would have been better if I would have cut more of the welding material

out of the remaining end of the steering column (I did not want to do that) and make the interference fit tighter.

But the issue still will be there more or less.

I show you later how this fault could be compensate in a different way - but I did not wanted to trust on this. 

Well, cut down to 15 mm

iB5bpbz80dqUz1zesTTd_U1evTGH3FUlUh6X56uU

This is the end of the Renault steering column where the TR column part has to be fitted with the connector, the inside diameter is 15 mm.

But it is not perfect round because it is untouched and pressed or forged - and not drilled on the lathe.

JEGXWYTQr0SL76ICfYc-ab0heExacUD3JCCEl-bG

To get it in line I made a helper for the bench vise from some wood, I got the core drills 22 mm and 35 mm, so this was a 10 minutes job.

_6TGXqB0xXM7SedU2ZQcH2PHxkVwwT6pdPVsTFWr

With this helper I can spin the column with the TR part connected in, with my wire indicator I find the best position and marked it.

zf7UEixzp5KIXECNR9fxzc0Qn1DwkUpR8wOjn0M-

I put it in pieces again, Loctite 638 on it, glue it, check it, spin it, ckeck it, push it, spin it, check,... I have max. 10 minutes.

When I was pleased with the result (after about 2 minutes) I let it untouched this way and continue tomorrow.

XhYwfo_1Fmgnn3zNTfqjZMyNJ3l3cs_mZD6QQOV6

You can do this different, for me this was very fast and easy.

Wish you a good night, Marco

Edited by Z320

I have really learned a lot from this thread Marco and I'm looking forward to seeing the end result. One question.. the factory outer steering column has a very weak joint where the alu tube is attached to the funnel shaped bit housing the switches etc. It is basically just a crimped joint and I have accidentally broken this joint in the past when replacing the upper and lower bushes. It seems like you are still relying on this joint to secure your bits together and I wonder if you are concerned about that crimped connection letting go with all the extra weight you have there.

Stan

Hi Stan, 

thank you for your interest and question.

With "funnel shaped bit" you mean the black part on the photo above which I called "bell" where the switches for light, indicator and overdrive are fixed?

Ciao, Marco

5 hours ago, Z320 said:

Hi Stan, 

thank you for your interest and question.

With "funnel shaped bit" you mean the black part on the photo above which I called "bell" where the switches for light, indicator and overdrive are fixed?

Ciao, Marco

Yes, that part. It looks like you left a short section of the tube attached to it to allow you to attach your parts and I'm questioning the strength of that short section of black tube with the bell shaped bit.

Stan

Hi Stan,

don't worry, the tube is steel J235, d = 32 x 1,5 mm, not a part of the original aluminium tube (in the scrap).

On this tube the unit is fixed on the dashboard, not on "the bell". Here you can see it in pieces, the tube now black painted.

W2R1BgpX-Eqyto49pPnEGGWWwKr10ktQNhS8LuuJ

With a closer look on "the bell" you see inside the aluminium end of the bell, outside the remainig rest of the tube.

Working with 3 steering columns I never had this pieces broken in parts.

r34lEmcWi1tXMjOrMB_tvcmPA8lxuA7Xw38s9__l

To glue the painted steel tube in the unit I positioned it about the way it probably will be in a RHS TR.

70O5NOPGyjjOAInfppkkS1aYBdE9FmdW9b6GfZya

I ave some glue only on the tube's end, not in the torsion housing, to avoid pushing glue in the needle bearing of the unit.

The POM connector / bearing pushed in the tube works as a centering tool, I glued it in with the fixing screw below, so you can't see it.

If this unit is used in a LHD Tr it will be visible at about 10:00-11:00 - who matters?

UkW_u1U9HpB4KdjIoTFpuHMoSzchiCTrB1iMxiCQ

The clamp fixing it on the dashbaord will be behind this point, the only force on "the bell" will be the drivers hands on the switches.

Ciao, Marco

Today I did the last work on the metal items:

fitted the little screw to lock the POM connector, the indicator return clip and "the bell",

finally made the torque strap....Ready! Only some new black paint is needed on "the bell".

0548Tge0LPsBSyjrezCGdwY0rkI-JLCts1ld9xYY

The torque straß has to be fixed anywhere on the bulkhead,

both clips on the steering column are strong, but it will be a good idea to fix the electric motor of the unit extra.

TcTwoTHXcoCC6WFe8nLjJqwePtPqEWeKY2gaQjt4

On the photo above you see already most of the elecric components:

the units regulator which came with the unit from the Renault Clio 2 (be shure it is included when you buy one),

the cable from the electric motor with plug (sorry behind the regulator, make shure it is not cut off),

and the parts Bruno sells from Portugal.

eiZ6gj-IsR5tKaTgUKkcBB28-Kjjj7gbZUQEfxEq

1 is for the multiple plug from Bruno's black box

2 is for +12 V from the battery and earth

3 is for the plug from the electric motor

Right side you see the 50 A fuse (too much in my opinion, 10 A would be OK), below the adjustor for the level of support.

The white and black cables are earth and 12 V from the ignition to switch the hole unit on and off.

Some electric work follows, sadly one part is missing......

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320