How to make your own DIY electric power steering for your TR4-TR6

The missing electric part is in (a 4 pins coupling), I bought a set of cheap ones produced at China.

Products from China are always worth a surprise, this time a negativ on: a fantasy product, this scrap goes direct in the bin.

German saying is: buy cheap and you buy double....

Edited by Z320
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

the electric work is done and today I finish this project.

96XCDulkqPm5WzDs9ZYhwEveqSA6QJdvZpkSJvUt

When you buy a Clio II unit take care to buy it with the regulator, AND with the plug to the electric motor NOT cut off from the cables!

The plug tells you where to plug it on the 4 big 9.5 mm cable spades of the regulator.

aQ2Ao91jg0bfXd6qB_5dQt5b0SjOpE2S8i15ghIu

On the remaining 2 spades you plug left = red = 12 Volt, right = black = ground.

The cables are 6 mm² suitable to the 9.5 mm cable socket, but I'm conviced 2.5 mm² would be enough (for about 50 Watt)

The cable socket that comes with Bruno's set (to his controler) is only one way to plug in the regulator.

jUfr0dhOcgNNTiE1SZ-qJLknZWfazZT0QjXQmWaB

4 of the cables of Bruno's  cable socket have to be connected with the 4 cables of the torque sensor, Bruno tells you with his installation guide which, I fitted a 4 pins connector.

xnsQzSl2rPHgT2dDPHmD_kxr8yaN-0Y8_zPbmxv_

The potentiometer for the basic setting (down to zero support, if you want) has 2 cables, I used a 2 pins connector.

Fv10fpC7e9VGIWPEiInSWBRVszseT8Tlodm0fEiD

2 cables are remaining, black = 12 V by ignition to switch the unit on, white = ground (strange choice, but this way it is)

G9frsbkXKmaWzJqSGDPAJcBWZEUrDsbwQ6O52hN3

Power suply for the regulator: short black cable for ground anywhere, long red cable (yes, some heat shrink tube is missing) via a 35 A fuse (comes with Bruno's set, if you order this way) to 12 V (on the 4 cylinders from the RB 102 or better from the relay of the starter).

a45ywBZtzCXJhgO76Hv2NMl9o9NSz3ReE_wXIcmv

Ready for a test with a motorbike battery (don't worry, the splines left are wrapped with tape), YES it works, does what it has to do.

epqXsSAyLOJcJee0WqwYdzvCBIJtsicLJLdM5OQa

Ready to go on any TR 4-6 RHD (+LHD) without steering lock, you have to dicide where to fix the regulator, controller, potentiometer and torque strap your own.

GGd2krIBLt63p46f7tJ2pF3oX4pUHjcEY-O2Qb_-

If anyone makes a unit his own I would be very pleased to hear about.

I've been asked where the unit will go to, currently I store it in my workshop, I made t just to show you.

If you are interested to buy it your offer by PM is welcome. Very much I appreciate someone who was in contact with me the last years,

knows what he does and does not overrate his competence. Fitting it in the car is "simple" but not a walk in the park.

Any way I will guide you if needed.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

Well done Marco and interesting project that has kept us all occupied here while in lockdown, whats next for you?

Stuart.

Hi Steve and Stuart,

thank you very much,

every night I go to bed I hope not to wake up in the morning with a bad idea.... 

Next is to get the MX-5 gearbox in the TR, my R90S back on the street and to finish my 1932 Norton Mod. 18 project.

So - nothing special.... 

Edited by Z320

Hi Marco,

You must me a tough nut. Congratulations!

The R90S is one of my dream bikes, a friend had one when we were 18, it was like new then.

Gruesse,
Waldi

Well done Marco really enjoyed reading and seeing how you managed to pull this off just proves what a determined man in shed can do!

Andy 

Hi Waldi,

end of the 80-ies I have been fascinated by "specials" of the mid 70-ies "super bikes":

Moto Guzzi V7, Laverda 750 or Jota, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z900

1990 I bought my 1974 R90S, a failed special because of limited skills of the previous owner which needed lots of work.

Do you think this was the right desicion?

Ciao, Marco

Thank you Any

Edited by Z320

Marco,

I am unbelievably impressed with your engineering skills, but utterly amazed that you did this without the intention to fit it to a specific vehicle! I take off my hat to you.

I am not yet at the stage where I want to install power steering in my 6, nor do I think I have the skills to meet your requirements of a competent purchaser. I hope your masterpiece goes to a good home :).

I shall now turn my attention to the MX-5 box...

Cheers,
John

19 hours ago, Z320 said:

Hi Waldi,

end of the 80-ies I have been fascinated by "specials" of the mid 70-ies "super bikes":

Moto Guzzi V7, Laverda 750 or Jota, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z900

1990 I bought my 1974 R90S, a failed special because of limited skills of the previous owner which needed lots of work.

Do you think this was the right desicion?

Ciao, Marco

Hi Marco,

The R90S was a good decision.
If you would have bought a Laverda 750SF1 is would have been an excellent choice, but I’m biassed (“voringenommen”), because I had one as a daily driver around 1982:D (just kidding).

Liebe Gruesse,

Waldi

• 3 months later...

THIS IS BRAND NEW from today:

Bruno Steering offers now his controler for your Renault Clio 2 (and Opel Corsa) electric power steering DIY project WITH GPS antenna.

This is s genious plug-and-drive solution to make it speed sensitiv (if you think this is needed, and BTW not the feature on hydraulic units for classic cars)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144060109444?hash=item218aa6d284:g:Nf8AAOSwskBgtfNS

I have no finacial interest on that, I'm not related to Bruno and do not even know him.

This is just interesting.

Ciao, Marco

• 2 years later...