Window regulator stud retainer removal

• 3 weeks later...

Slightly off topic, I've removed the glass that had come adrift from the channel on my passenger window. Got them back together successfully and need one new retainer clip as the sprung centre is missing.

Looking in the Moss and Rimmer catalogues they show that 8 leather washers are also required. My doors have none which could account for a rattle when I shut the doors. However the postage cost for these from Moss is ludicrous (No stock at Rimmers). Pretty much doubling the cost.

Can anyone give me the spec and point me in the right direction for these leather washers? The total cost isn't that much but it is a question of principle as they could go in a small envelope for less than £1.

Andy

2 hours ago, Ocheye said:

Slightly off topic, I've removed the glass that had come adrift from the channel on my passenger window. Got them back together successfully and need one new retainer clip as the sprung centre is missing.

Looking in the Moss and Rimmer catalogues they show that 8 leather washers are also required. My doors have none which could account for a rattle when I shut the doors. However the postage cost for these from Moss is ludicrous (No stock at Rimmers). Pretty much doubling the cost.

Can anyone give me the spec and point me in the right direction for these leather washers? The total cost isn't that much but it is a question of principle as they could go in a small envelope for less than £1.

Andy

Do a bit of measuring  there are lots of plastic penny washers available.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/131732893024?rt=nc&_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3D47609caa415949b3b2c04e319b8bb58a%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D8%26rkt%3D30%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D172137130661%26itm%3D131732893024%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2386202%26algv%3DDefaultOrganic%26brand%3DUnbranded

these may do the job.  But I suspect the id should be 6mm.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/172137130661?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-153316-527457-8&mkcid=2&itemid=172137130661&targetid=4585307089523167&device=t&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=398226959&mkgroupid=1307319560325307&rlsatarget=pla-4585307089523167&abcId=2145997&merchantid=87779&msclkid=d7649dd22c7912146c66c20d57872534

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Part 607902. Just bought them for my door refurb. Available from David Manners Group £0.66 less 10% for TR members. Free postage before end of December maybe longer .

website is a bit of a pain. No schematics like other suspects but when you know the part number, enter it into the search box and your away. Have most things in stock. 

David B

It looks like John Morrison has come to my rescue. Thanks for the guidance folks. I will probably get or make some washers for the other door when I get around to it.

Andy

15 hours ago, David B2 said:

Part 607902. Just bought them for my door refurb. Available from David Manners Group £0.66 less 10% for TR members. Free postage before end of December maybe longer .

website is a bit of a pain. No schematics like other suspects but when you know the part number, enter it into the search box and your away. Have most things in stock. 

David B

Thanks David B. I've ordered a set of washers rather than make my own. That way my belt isn't full of holes and my trousers stay up

Andy

For the record I ordered a set of leather washers on 21/12 from David Manners taking advantage of free postage and club discount and they arrived promptly this morning 23/12 via APC. The quality looks better than some of the photos I've seen of others.

For those members who are interested, the dimensions are approx 22.45mm O/D 11.4mm I/D and 2mm thickness

Best wishes to all for 2021

Andy

I have encountered another problem which I must get sorted now that the festivities are over. The channel that the glass and rubber sit in had widened and wouldn't grip although it isn't rusty.

I tightened it in the vice and then couldn't get the glass in!

I then relieved it and it seemed okay but, when fitted, the glass came out.

Can anyone suggest the best way forward? I am loathe to use glue or silicone as I'll really struggle if I don't get it perfectly positioned.

Andy

Fixing glass to the channel: used an old inner tube rubber which also didn't work so in the end used inner tube rubber and contact adhesive

Which holds the glass winding the windows up and down.

at a later date I could get it all apart again so it worked for me

Might help?

22 hours ago, MichaelH said:

Fixing glass to the channel: used an old inner tube rubber which also didn't work so in the end used inner tube rubber and contact adhesive

Which holds the glass winding the windows up and down.

at a later date I could get it all apart again so it worked for me

Might help?

Thanks. There is a rubber channel which I've used but I think I will need adhesive too

Andy

3 hours ago, signalredshaker said:

I have used a polyurethane adhesive for a while- works really well and is very strong. Much like modern windscreen bonding agents- in fact mine was a Vauxhall product. its also easy to get the glass out- just cut away the sealant with a stanley knife.

James

Thanks James