BOSCH PUMP - Leak Around Electrical Connector

On 12/20/2020 at 7:32 PM, TR NIALL said:

The crucial part of this adaptor is the internal diameter anyone know what that is?

Thanks for the heads up on the larger bore outlet.

Brought one from TRGB yesterday, £8.95+VAT + postage. They told me it comes with a fibre sealing washer, screws directly in and has an internal bore "all through" including threaded part of 7.8 mm. The thread is 1/2" UNF-20.

Cheers, Colin

37 minutes ago, Casar66 said:

still do not understand why you want to uncrease the bore when your pump is gone. Maybe I got something wrong?

Yes the pump has gone, but can`t get a direct replacement. Still deciding which pump to get. But it will inevitably have a different spec, so just getting the simple recommendations/improvements that people have suggested, that`s all.

Colin.

1 hour ago, c.hydes said:

Thanks for the heads up on the larger bore outlet.

Brought one from TRGB yesterday, £8.95+VAT + postage. They told me it comes with a fibre sealing washer, screws directly in and has an internal bore "all through" including threaded part of 7.8 mm. The thread is 1/2" UNF-20.

Cheers, Colin

Thanks Colin that’s useful to know.

I have always been a fan of Pierburg pumps but the branded product is often substituted by a generic pump by suppliers but the literature is useful.

http://www.partinfo.co.uk/files/Pierburg-Fuel Pump Product Info.pdf

https://www.kmotorshop.com/content/detail/en/84/electric-fuel-pumps-pierburg

Alan

1 hour ago, barkerwilliams said:

I have always been a fan of Pierburg pumps but the branded product is often substituted by a generic pump by suppliers but the literature is useful.

http://www.partinfo.co.uk/files/Pierburg-Fuel Pump Product Info.pdf

https://www.kmotorshop.com/content/detail/en/84/electric-fuel-pumps-pierburg

Alan

Thanks Alan I shall peruse Pierburg

Fair point.

The pump currently commercially available which comes nearest to the original Lucas pump is probably the SKV005 pump mentioned earlier in this thread (that no-one has in use yet, apparently).

A lower flowrate and energy consumption would indeed serve several purposes.

Waldi

9 hours ago, Casar66 said:

Be aware that the next problems will pop up then. Try a pump which is nearest to your old one. 

Thanks Cas, so can you explain which Bosch pump you choose and why it works so well for you?

Cheers, Colin

There is no Bosch equivalent available, I guess. Try that polish pump or find any else wich do not more than 100 l (or 22 uk gal) in an hour at 5 bar. The best way: it is winter, it is corona, it is ugly. So spend your nights with ebay and a lonely (and expensive) search for a 996.

My 23 year old Bosch fuel pump for my TR 5 just gave up the ghost and I was looking at these:

Walbro GSL394 Inline Fuel Pump 190LPH High Pressure (universal external pump) (walbrofuelpumps.com)

Walbro GSL392Inline Fuel Pump 255LPH High Pressure (universal external pump) (walbrofuelpumps.com)

The website has the both the 12v and 13.5v performance curve which is very helpful.

Ken in California

• 3 weeks later...

Its time to make a decision and get a new pump now. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences, advice and suggestions.

I propose to replace my Bosch 0580 254 996 with a Bosch 0580 254 053 which has the following specification: 175L/hr at 5 bar, 11A at 5bar, 60mm x 160mm.

I have a new larger tank outlet fitting, will add a tank shut off valve, as well as a new tank to pump large bore coarse filter to replace the existing original CAV filter. I will take advice from the Bosch dealer on the requirement for a finer upstream filter as some say this is desirable to protect the MU. All with new hoses and rubbers for Ethanol resistance.

My decision is based on longer conversations with two local group members who have fitted the 0580 254 053 pump with no problems. Unless anyone can see or has had issues with this pump I will proceed.

Thanks again al, I have learnt a lot about PI talking with you, regards Colin.  

Just don't buy a Hayg copy, like I did. Expensive waste of time.

John

On 12/22/2020 at 8:20 PM, c.hydes said:

The thread is 1/2" UNF-20

Hi Colin,

Did they tell you this or did you measure it? Reason I ask is that it seems odd that Triumph used a UNF thread for a fluid connection. I'd expect a 1/4" BSP which has 1/2" OD and a thread pitch of 19 tpi. Close to 1/2" UNF-20 but not quite the same.

Thanks,
John

8 hours ago, JohnC said:

Hi Colin,

Did they tell you this or did you measure it? Reason I ask is that it seems odd that Triumph used a UNF thread for a fluid connection. I'd expect a 1/4" BSP which has 1/2" OD and a thread pitch of 19 tpi. Close to 1/2" UNF-20 but not quite the same.

Thanks,
John

178497292_TankOutlet.jpg.81028406752ca6e89644179dc54ea5f7.jpg

Hi John, they told me the dimensions and that it would screw directly into the tank boss  once the old one is removed. I dont have any thread gauges so can`t measure the TPI. A Vernier indicates that the internal bore is 7.97mm all the way through, the thread diameter (across pitch) is 12.41mm (0.489"), and is parallel over whole length. Polished brass and seems well made.

I assume that it will seal on the fibre washer and was going to add some Hylomar Universal Blue to both the threads and washer, and make sure that the tank boss is flat?

One question though. The thread length to washer is 7.0mm. The tank boss is 6mm and on the assumption that the tank thickness is 3mm, the end of the outlet will sit 2mm below the bottom of the tank? Would it be worth soldering a short tube say 1", to prevent any "tank crud" from entering the hole.

Regards, Colin

I haven't taken the old one out to try it yet , 

4 minutes ago, c.hydes said:

178497292_TankOutlet.jpg.81028406752ca6e89644179dc54ea5f7.jpg

Hi John, they told me the dimensions and that it would screw directly into the tank boss  once the old one is removed. I dont have any thread gauges so can`t measure the TPI. A Vernier indicates that the internal bore is 7.97mm all the way through, the thread diameter (across pitch) is 12.41mm (0.489"), and is parallel over whole length. Polished brass and seems well made.

I assume that it will seal on the fibre washer and was going to add some Hylomar Universal Blue to both the threads and washer, and make sure that the tank boss is flat?

One question though. The thread length to washer is 7.0mm. The tank boss is 6mm and on the assumption that the tank thickness is 3mm, the end of the outlet will sit 2mm below the bottom of the tank? Would it be worth soldering a short tube say 1", to prevent any "tank crud" from entering the hole.

Regards, Colin

I haven't taken the old one out to try it yet , 

There is a boss welded into my tank which was done at manufacture and it is much more than 3mm thick??

I made my own fitting 40+ years ago and I enlarged the thread size to the next size up from memory. To make sure that it did not leak, I used PTFE pipe thread tape on the threads to seal. It has never leaked and has  been there for all those years and this was before I went over to a BOSCH pump. It was done to modify the flow rate to the CAV filter as I also used the next size of filter head on the CAV filter to combat cavitation, as I could use a much bigger bore size hose. This did work in part but was not a 100% cure! The thing I do not like about the TR GB fitting it has no shark's teeth on the smooth section to ensure better sealing on the inside of the hose. E5 petrol is very good at leaking past sealing.

Bruce.

9 minutes ago, astontr6 said:

There is a boss welded into my tank which was done at manufacture and it is much more than 3mm thick??

I made my own fitting 40+ years ago and I enlarged the thread size to the next size up from memory. To make sure that it did not leak, I used PTFE pipe thread tape on the threads to seal. It has never leaked and has  been there for all those years and this was before I went over to a BOSCH pump. It was done to modify the flow rate to the CAV filter as I also used the next size of filter head on the CAV filter to combat cavitation, as I could use a much bigger bore size hose. This did work in part but was not a 100% cure! The thing I do not like about the TR GB fitting it has no shark's teeth on the smooth section to ensure better sealing on the inside of the hose. E5 petrol is very good at leaking past sealing.

Bruce.

Yes Bruce point taken. It does have a small flange at the bottom, so was thinking this would be a tighter fit an a pair of good quality hose clips should help. I could also put some Hylomar on a s well?

So on your 40+ home made fitting did this sit above the inside bottom of the tank to prevent entry of crud?

Cheers, Colin. 

23 minutes ago, c.hydes said:

Yes Bruce point taken. It does have a small flange at the bottom, so was thinking this would be a tighter fit an a pair of good quality hose clips should help. I could also put some Hylomar on a s well?

So on your 40+ home made fitting did this sit above the inside bottom of the tank to prevent entry of crud?

Cheers, Colin. 

The end of my fitting is the same as the TR GB one and does no protrude into the tank. I have an inline filter before the pump as advised by BOSCH and no after filter it has been like that for nearly 40 years. Never had any trouble even at 35C.and when the temp here on the hottest day of 2020, nearly reached 40C, still worked OK. But you must have 2.6 litres per minute minimum flow at the pump and preferably 5 lpm.

Bruce.

1 minute ago, astontr6 said:

The end of my fitting is the same as the TR GB one and does no protrude into the tank. I have an inline filter before the pump as advised by BOSCH and no after filter it has been like that for nearly 40 years. Never had any trouble even at 35C.and when the temp here on the hottest day of 2020, nearly reached 40C, still worked OK. But you must have 2.6 litres per minute minimum flow at the pump and preferably 5 lpm.

Bruce.

Thanks Bruce that`s reassuring. Seems that a course filter circa 100um is best for the pre filter can I ask what make etc. you have fitted?

Colin.

2 minutes ago, c.hydes said:

Thanks Bruce that`s reassuring. Seems that a course filter circa 100um is best for the pre filter can I ask what make etc. you have fitted?

Colin.

Hi Colin,

I use a Mahle filter part number KL 158 micro star, This is not a course filter but a very low resistance fine filter which can take out very small crud, I do not know what the um rating is? But you will need male pipe end fittings to screw into the filter canister, which of course will be metric. Do not know the sizes? So it will be down to your local pipe fitting centre to get the right fittings.

Bruce.