BOSCH PUMP - Leak Around Electrical Connector

Hi all.

My Bosch fuel pump mounted under the N.S. rear wheel arch has run faultlessly for 22 years under all conditions. Stamped on the "domed end" are the numbers 0580 254 996 Germany,12V, 766 014. Yesterday I noticed a leak which has got progressively worse, and when energised there is now a steady flow leak. It is coming from around the plastic shroud/body that houses the two supply spade connections. It doesn`t seem to be leaking from anywhere else. I have seem previous posts (some recently),but no solution or conclusion as to whether this is repairable, so my questions are:

Has anyone found a repairable solution for leakage in this area? 

I guess this 996 Bosch pump no longer available and if not can you please share your best experiences as what to buy and part No`s as a "bolt in" replacement for refitting under the wheel arch. Thanks in anticipation once again.

Cheers and regards, Colin.

Hi Colin,

the Bosch 996 pump is one of the most sought after alternative pumps ever fitted but far as I know its not serviceable.

They are NLA now unfortunately - if you do find one second hand, it will be quite old and even with low usage, seals etc do age.

Best option is probably a new pump with a warranty.

Bob

Hi Colin,

I have had exactly the same issue on my (old) 996 pump. It was ok before the resto and tested by Neil Ferguson, but when I used it again after 4.5 years it leaked around the electrical conduit. I have kept it but replaced it by a new (less suitable) Bosch pump, drawing more current (around 8-9A). 

Cheers,
Waldi

Hi John,

yes, I made a comparison earlier this year between the currently available pumps (flow rate and current at 195 psi). 

Mine is a 0580.464.126 and draws 10A  according to the curve (I measured a bit lower).

There are 2 versions of the “044” pump, 0580.464.044: 8A (so better suitable than the .126 above and 0580.254.044 (16.5A!!) so be careful if you order a “044”.

The 0580.254.996, which is considered best suitable in the Bosch range draws 5A only.I think Jochem ordered a relative cheap alternative for this, Esen 02-SKV-005. He mentioned earlier he had not installed it yet.

Regards,

Waldi

7 hours ago, kcsun said:

I would not take any risk with electric and petrol mixing, get a new pump

kc

1. Thanks KC, and no I have no intention of servicing this pump, its not worth  the risk and would be always " a worry".
  2. Thanks Colin.

OK I have spent the last two days going back through the forums (to original postings), and sadly it seems that the Bosch 0580 254 996 was the best/preferred pump for our TR6 PI - fact.

What I need now, is what is the closest/best alternative with part no`s that work equally as good., That would be such a great help to me, or maybe we could converse via P.M. if that would be preferable?

Cheers and regards, Colin.

14 hours ago, ntc said:

I will dig it out when I have time, meanwhile a search on the web might help.

Thanks Neil your part No would be a great help. I have found the Syntec website, but like to also rely on members expert experiences as well.

Thanks for your help.

Colin. 

14 hours ago, ntc said:

I will dig it out when I have time, meanwhile a search on the web might help.

On 11/28/2020 at 2:09 PM, Waldi said:

Hi John,

yes, I made a comparison earlier this year between the currently available pumps (flow rate and current at 195 psi). 

Mine is a 0580.464.126 and draws 10A  according to the curve (I measured a bit lower).

There are 2 versions of the “044” pump, 0580.464.044: 8A (so better suitable than the .126 above and 0580.254.044 (16.5A!!) so be careful if you order a “044”.

The 0580.254.996, which is considered best suitable in the Bosch range draws 5A only.I think Jochem ordered a relative cheap alternative for this, Esen 02-SKV-005. He mentioned earlier he had not installed it yet.

Regards,

Waldi

Thanks Waldi.

When you say that your new 0580 254 126 is "less suitable", is that just because it draws 10A? If so, as long as the wiring is upgraded with relay to provide enough voltage at the pump, does this really matter? Does it perform OK in all other aspects, and any idea where the best choice/range for Bosch pumps is? 

I need a new pump so would love you to share your findings.

Thanks and regards, Colin.  

On 11/28/2020 at 9:42 PM, DaveN said:

Thanks Dave.

So how is is your new pump performing, any issues or doing a proper job?

Waldi identified earlier that this equivalent (ie Bosch 0580254044), as having a high running current of 1.5 Amps. Is it noisy or have any other issues that you have found?

1 hour ago, c.hydes said:

Thanks Dave.

So how is is your new pump performing, any issues or doing a proper job?

Waldi identified earlier that this equivalent (ie Bosch 0580254044), as having a high running current of 1.5 Amp s. Is it noisy or have any other issues that you have found?

Sorry Dave, mistake in my previous reply, think the current was 16.5 Amps not 1.5A !!

Colin

Hi

Well so far so good. And I took the car out and thrashed it. Performed ok as in I never detected any starvation issues. Noise wise I can hear it as it’s now outside and just behind the nearside rear wheel but I don’t think it’s obtrusive, and of course driving you can’t hear it. 
so it’s mounted on classic mini exhaust isolators I got from Halfords along with the rather agricultural brass fitting the Malpasi PRV bolted to a L shaped bracket. It looks quite a torturous path but works well.

One thing I have noticed is the car starts so easily with its knackered battery.. it only just turns over but starts every time.

Dave

A8AC438E-236D-45AA-A0F1-230B6A51C8FF.jpeg

30FCC2E7-927A-438D-9BAB-8123EAFA14E8.jpeg

Edited by DaveN
Addition
1 hour ago, DaveN said:

I did rewire it complete with a relay. I will go measure the current draw when I get a new fuse for my Fluke meter!

Cheers, appreciate that, those Fluke meter fuses are not cheep either I recall.

10 hours ago, c.hydes said:

Thanks Waldi.

When you say that your new 0580 254 126 is "less suitable", is that just because it draws 10A? If so, as long as the wiring is upgraded with relay to provide enough voltage at the pump, does this really matter? Does it perform OK in all other aspects, and any idea where the best choice/range for Bosch pumps is? 

I need a new pump so would love you to share your findings.

Hi Colin,

yes, less suitable because of the higher current draw. My fuel (tank) temperature rose some 7 degrees C in approx. 40 miles this summer when it was 30 C ambient. I did not have issues then with the car, the pump was still humming at a fuel in tank temperature of 33C, but I felt I should not further stretch my luck. 

From the Bosch range, I feel the 0580.464.044 is best currently available suitable. The “996” would be a better selection, but I did not want a “NOS” 20 year old pump after I had the leaking grommet. It is probably not ethanol- resistant. The current pumps should be. Maybe I will test the Esen some time in the future, when the need arises. I have tested an el-cheapo PWM controller (pulse width modulation); it was very well able to control pump speed, but also resulted in strange noises from the pump. So I removed it.

Cheers,

Waldi

On 12/1/2020 at 12:01 PM, DaveN said:

Hi

Well so far so good. And I took the car out and thrashed it. Performed ok as in I never detected any starvation issues. Noise wise I can hear it as it’s now outside and just behind the nearside rear wheel but I don’t think it’s obtrusive, and of course driving you can’t hear it. 
so it’s mounted on classic mini exhaust isolators I got from Halfords along with the rather agricultural brass fitting the Malpasi PRV bolted to a L shaped bracket. It looks quite a torturous path but works well.

One thing I have noticed is the car starts so easily with its knackered battery.. it only just turns over but starts every time.

Dave

A8AC438E-236D-45AA-A0F1-230B6A51C8FF.jpeg

30FCC2E7-927A-438D-9BAB-8123EAFA14E8.jpeg

Dave thanks, as well as the photos.

So what exactly is mounted in the boot well and what is located outside under the wheel arch - difficult to see from photo`s?

Also what pipework diameters  do you have to and from the tank?

Colin.  

I stayed with the original diameter fitting and tube from the tank, short length of copper that I slightly flared at the and then to R9 8mm hose into the filter. From the filter I used AN fittings. The red one is 120deg, then hose to the black bulkhead fitting. On the outside it’s again short lengths of hose and barb fittings. The only slightly awkward fitting was the inlet to the pump as it’s bigger diameter under the P clip it’s again a AN fittings, the outlet from the brass adaptor with the PRV is a JIC to AN fitting 09-08 which was a bit of a mare to get hold of! All the hose clips are Mikalor. Incidentally before any one mentions it there is plenty of clearance and I trimmed the screws on the clamps. So, in the boot tucked out of the way is the filter. The rest is under the wheel arch. The spill return is 8mm copper through a ‘bulkhead’ fitting and back to the top of the tank P clipped halfway up.

On 12/1/2020 at 8:16 PM, Waldi said:

Hi Colin,

yes, less suitable because of the higher current draw. My fuel (tank) temperature rose some 7 degrees C in approx. 40 miles this summer when it was 30 C ambient. I did not have issues then with the car, the pump was still humming at a fuel in tank temperature of 33C, but I felt I should not further stretch my luck. 

From the Bosch range, I feel the 0580.464.044 is best currently available suitable. The “996” would be a better selection, but I did not want a “NOS” 20 year old pump after I had the leaking grommet. It is probably not ethanol- resistant. The current pumps should be. Maybe I will test the Esen some time in the future, when the need arises. I have tested an el-cheapo PWM controller (pulse width modulation); it was very well able to control pump speed, but also resulted in strange noises from the pump. So I removed it.

Cheers,

Waldi

Thanks again Waldi. So you are recommending a new/unused genuine Bosch 0580 464 044, even if I could find a new/unused genuine 0580 254 996?

Colin.