GB Layshaft

Layshaft from Rimmer....

Measurement 0.811811"  I read the measurement should be dead on and should be 0.812204" so the Rimmer is 0.000393" undersize.

Can anyone tell me whether this layshaft can be used, or find another source for this?

Jochem

Hi Jochem,

how did you measure it to 6 decimal places.  I would suggest that making it to 4 decimal places was very good machining.

Making it to a dead size +/- 0 would not be practical or possibly achievable.

Point 4 of a thou undersize doesn't sound too dramatic.

Roger

9 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Jochem,

how did you measure it to 6 decimal places.  I would suggest that making it to 4 decimal places was very good machining.

Making it to a dead size +/- 0 would not be practical or possibly achievable.

Point 4 of a thou undersize doesn't sound too dramatic.

Roger

no, that is due to the conversion from metric to imperial.

0.001"  = 0,025 mm which is considered uncritical according to ORS

Edited by JochemsTR
1 minute ago, JochemsTR said:

Thank you Tom, I called them....they have 0.811" ....they mentioned 0.001" is not considered critical.

Buy from a reputable supplier like ORS https://www.overdrive-repairs.co.uk/

Stuart.

4 hours ago, JochemsTR said:

Layshaft from Rimmer....

Measurement 0.811811"  I read the measurement should be dead on and should be 0.812204" so the Rimmer is 0.000393" undersize.

Can anyone tell me whether this layshaft can be used, or find another source for this?

Jochem

I am afraid this is another example of Rimmer's quality? Over the last 25+ years this part has caused all sorts of trouble. There have been examples of this part failing within 50 miles on this Forum. It is not so much the size but the hardness? Moss led the way in failures for years until I had a big ruck with them 2 years ago and proved to them that they were selling soft layshafts? I would only buy from ORS and get them do bore out the layshaft so that 3 needle roller bearings can be fitted as per Stag. That eliminates one of the major failures of the TR6 gearbox! Surface Hardness s/b over 40 Rockwell C! but this is often ground off to bring the O/D to size?

Bruce 

Hi Jochem,

I would definitely test the hardness of a new lay shaft, knowing what I know now. AND have the Stag conversion done, by ORS.

Cheers,

Waldi

Hello

The counter axis must have an external dimension of min. 20.64 mm DIN. (Piston pin TR 6)
There are axes up to 0.04 mm undersized, poor hardening and a cruel surface treatment. Such axes will all fail even if three needle bearings are used. See image,
First outside, then the additional bearing breaks.
There is only one supplier who has these axles manufactured and they also fit!
Roadster factory in the USA Price per piece 70 dollars.
Only that works! I don't use anything else that would be too good for all the work

regards
Ralf

Vorgelege Schaden mit Drei Lagern.JPG