"strong arm tactics" to get into reverse in TR6

Is the problem that you can't physically lift  and move the gear stick into reverse.

Or - is it that the gears are graunching as above.

The first may need some grease in the gate or that the anti-rattle spring has come part way out and sticking.

The second could easily be that the GB is wearing out.  Engaging 4th and then reverse can give some good effect as mentioned above.

It could be the clutch - as the syncro's on the other gears allow easy engagement but the lack of syncro on reverse make it more prone to clutch issues.

Roger

2 hours ago, Wolfrace said:

Getting my TR6 into reverse gear needs quite a bit of effort. All other gears slot in easily and the clutch pedal range is fine as is clutch bite.  Any ideas? 

Does the G/B make a grating sound when selecting reverse or is it just hard to push in?

On 11/26/2020 at 8:31 PM, RogerH said:

Is the problem that you can't physically lift  and move the gear stick into reverse.

The first may need some grease in the gate or that the anti-rattle spring has come part way out and sticking.

The second could easily be that the GB is wearing out.  Engaging 4th and then reverse can give some good effect as mentioned above.

It could be the clutch - as the syncro's on the other gears allow easy engagement but the lack of syncro on reverse make it more prone to clutch issues.

Roger

Thanks Roger. I can lift and put it into reverse but it's just needs more effort than I used to need. Grease and anti-rattle spring are Ok. Clutch is fine. I've decided to put a new gear box in. 

On 11/26/2020 at 8:23 PM, Richard71 said:

I don't know if this reply will help with your issue. I was given a tip recently to avoid "graunching" when selecting reverse gear, select 4th then into reverse, it works. Something to do with sharing the same gate or something. Maybe you could try that?

Richard.

Correct and double clutch if needed 

On 11/26/2020 at 8:31 PM, RogerH said:

Roger

I have to agree with Roger! I had the same problem and it was down to  the wear in the foot pedal/clevis pin hole and the rod that goes into the master cylinder all had oval holes. The foot pedal was bushed with marine bronze and the master rod had 2 thick washers were turned up and welded to the operating rod along with changing the c/master cylinder to a 0.75" one to give more movement on the c/ housing operating arm. That was 30 +years ago no problem since.

Bruce.

Hi,

I always thought this is because of the missing synchro ring on reverse?

"With the gears in a not fortunate position to each other this can happen", also from time to time on my gearbox.

Then I go back to N, step off the clutch pedal to have the shafts and gears spinning in another position ,

than I try again. This most times helps,

Ciao, Marco

btw, this is the main reason why my wife does not want to drive the TR

Edited by Z320